130 Accubond-YIKES!!!

reflex264

Handloader
Jun 13, 2007
Fellers, I finally got to start on a project today that has been in the works for a while with the 130 AccuBond in the .264 Win mag. Some of you already know that I do crop damage control kills on state permits which requires some long shots in the larger fields. After trying numerous cartridges and bullets for the job I settled on the .264 with 120gr Ballistic tip and have been very successful with it. Some of you may have seen my posts on other forums discussing how much flatter this rifle shoots than it it supposed to. It isn't a fluke and is completely repeatable. For various reasons I am working with the 130gr AccuBond now. In my plans to start using this gun on deer out to 800 yards I was hopeful that in the same spirit of the 120gr BT the real BC would exceed the advertised BC and give me more stability in my 1:8 twist barrel in the process. I was not prepared for today’s results and aside from needing a good head shrink need some professional explanation. I use a Weaver V-Tac scope on my rifle which includes a stadia and diamond reticle in the first focus plain. The stadia lines are two above and two below the diamond. The first one from the diamond is calibrated to be 3" from center at 100 yards and the second one is 9" from center. According to the chart I ran prior to shooting today 0@300 yards would be +3.2" at 100 yards so a simple matter of setting the impact on the first stadia above the diamond would put me -9.1 at 400 yards. pretty simple and I had already sighted it in this way so I fired for confirmation prior to heading to the 400 yard range. It was spot on. The load I was using averaged 3139fps with a ES of 10fps. Upon arrival at the field which is currently planted with cotton I had to reposition my target holder which made my actual range 411 yards measured with my laser. I went back to the shooting area and set up for the shot. Do to my heavy work schedule I had to use today for the experiment. 95 degrees. The heat devils in the scope were horrible. I cut back to 8X which kept the target visible and shot 3 shots. The 3rd shot I should have left alone because the heat added form the barrel along with the heat from the field blurred my target picture pretty bad. When we got to the target the first two shots were 12" above the center of my aiming point. I was using the first stadia below the diamond which should have put me 3" high at 400 yards and just a tick lower at 411. I refigured my math. It was right. We discussed it for a minute and decided to get a handle on it if the impact was correct to use the center diamond. By the computer it should have been 9.1" low at 400 but since the shots hit 12" high and the first stadia down is 3" 3X4 (for 400 yards) =12". If it really shot that flat it should do it again. In other words the gun is sighted in 0@300 and appeared to repeat impact at 411 yards. Before you say anything I know it is impossible, err maybe, still scratching my head. Trying to overcome the heat from the field I cut the scope back to 6.5X. I know that doesn't sound like enough magnification but with the super fine reticle and the hollow diamond I could see it clearly. Here we go, cold barrel and turned the scope down. Pow. The picture explains it. I know this is inconclusive until I can get a cooler day to fire more shots but two in a row with the stadia change is mind boggling. I have been trying to make this come out with ballistic software and no luck. This is nearly identical the behavior that I get out of the 120 BT which has been proven and repeated over and over. Yall boys explain it. 
reflex264

264-411.jpg

Lord how I hate the rifle hobby/syndrome sometimes.........

Enough to drive someone to take prosac on a daily basis. :evil:

POP":xad6x73b said:
Lord how I hate the rifle hobby/syndrome sometimes.........

Enough to drive someone to take prosac on a daily basis. :evil:

No prosac, just a little less hair each day. :lol: I am working on a method to prove or disprove this next time out. I am thinking of setting up at 100,200,300,400 and 500 yards and figuring the trajectory curve from that set up. POP, I believe if you will take your new play purdy out and try some trajectory mapping with it you will be very surprised as well but I have already done the 120bt. It would be nice to have someone else that has actualy done it to verify results. Besides, it will give you and excuse to play with it. reflex264

As soon as I get a chance!

Retirement sux... I gotta find a job.

It is supposed to be cooler here Saturday. I am working on a planned experiment with controls to compare with. One bullet that seems to act like the computer says it should is the 129gr Hornady flat base spire point. Another bullet that I have used with a great deal of success is the 140gr Sierra BTSP. These are known factors. If In the same set up they do as expected this is going to be even harder to explain. The stadia measurements are very precise so I have already eliminated that. I have been thinking this over today and anyway you cut it on a 6" vital zone your are talking about a MPBR of around 440 yards. I am not ready to throw in the towel but rather just getting started. If my experiment proves out then I am going to invite a very well known gun writer up to witness and shoot the gun with these loads. He lives pretty close and would get a kick out of this. reflex264

I can not wait!

one favor though....Do not quote stadia positions and where you hold....way too hard to follow.

I think it would be easier to say that 2" high at 100 it is landing 3" high at 400 yards....just an example....................

Hey POP, that is my intention. I wanted the details up to start with to show how the shots are measured. reflex264

Didn't get to shoot today. maybe one day this coming week. reflex264

Bummer! :cry:

Looking forward to an update. :grin:

JD338

Reflex264, what you forgot to check was the alingment of the planets and the moon phase. Just that simple. Writers don't won't us to know about such things so you will not see articles in the magazines. Somethings are not meant for us to know.Rick.

Hey Rick, you let the cat out of the bag. :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:
reflex264

Boys, I shot today. I aint crazy. Here is what I have:

+3.1" @ 100 yards
+3.0" @ 200 yards
-0- @ 411 yards

What I would like for any that can, try the same thing and post their results. As soon as I can get the Gatlin .264 back to try it under the same circumstances I will. It is a 26" 1:10 barrel.

My gun has a 26" Douglas 1:8 twist. The load is the 130gr AccuBond at 3139fps.

I could shoot 500 and 600 yards yet because of the cotton. I will when I get a chance. The scary thing is there is another 150fps + left to play with. As it stands this makes it one of the falttest shooting rifles period.

Anyone out there to try to duplicate it with a .264 and the same bullet? reflex264

I shoot the 120 BT in my sendero II at 3380 fps (per your loads). I will see if I can get out there and try it at long range.

reflex264":1w64njay said:

+3.1" @ 100 yards
+3.0" @ 200 yards
-0- @ 411 yards
As it stands this makes it one of the falttest shooting rifles period.
reflex264

Good data. What do you figure the BC to be with the 130 gr AB?
What do you think the drop will be at 500 and 600 yds?

JD338

JD338":2mlduepj said:
reflex264":2mlduepj said:

+3.1" @ 100 yards
+3.0" @ 200 yards
-0- @ 411 yards
As it stands this makes it one of the falttest shooting rifles period.
reflex264

Good data. What do you figure the BC to be with the 130 gr AB?
What do you think the drop will be at 500 and 600 yds?

JD338

I have tried plugging all kinds of BC's into the software and cant make it come out. I hate to speculate on the 500 and 600 yard drop until I can shoot it. This is great that it shoots this flat but very complicated trying to do my normal pocket charts. the cotton will be out in a few weeks and I can actualy go shoot it. reflex264

POP":3psy8o2t said:
I shoot the 120 BT in my sendero II at 3380 fps (per your loads). I will see if I can get out there and try it at long range.

That looks like the RL25 load. prepare to have your mind blown. reflex264

Have you shot out to 500 and 600 yards yet? I am interested because I am shooting the 130 AB at 3350 fps from a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel 264 Win Mag but have not been able to shoot it on paper past 100 yards. I sighted in 3" high at 100 yards and killed a deer at 275 yards and it looked like the bullet struck about 1" maybe a little more high from where I was aiming. I am going deer hunting next week and they have a 300 yard range where I will be and I am going to try to do some shooting out to 300 to see exactly where my POI is. By the way I have taken 5 deer with this load and they are dead before they hit the ground.

I am interested also. My 264 sendero is dead on with a 200 yards zero and the M1 turrets as quoted on Ballistic phone application. 140 VLd at 3050 fps.

Back