A little more love for the 300 HH

Hard to imagine what you couldn't kill cleanly with 180 gr 30 cal bullet at 2900 fps!
Killed a whole lot of stuff from Alaska to Arizona with an 06 and 180s, you are absolutely right. For me it’s more about figuring out why the heck it gets so erratic when I push it. The reality of it is that I have enough confidence in the rifle I’m leaving my 338 Jarrett at home this fall.

IMHO you’re hoping that your most precise accuracy node is at your maximum pressure point. This may ore may not happen with your rifle system. There are times when we have to decide what our objective is, either precision or velocity. That’s your choice. In reality, that extra FPS may not be worth it.

I think that if you did a deep dive, history would show that the 300 H&H was a popular 1000 yard caliber for High Power prone rifle competition.

Last edited:
IMHO you’re hoping that your most precise accuracy node is at your maximum pressure point. This may ore may not happen with your rifle system. There are times when we have to decide what our objective is, either precision or velocity. That’s your choice. In reality, that extra FPS may not be worth it.

I think that if you did a deep dive, history would show that the 300 H&H was a popular 1000 yard caliber for High Power prone rifle competition.
You are absolutely correct on several counts particularly when I have several rifles that deliver heavier bullets at higher velocity with greater accuracy. This #1 and several others I own, are simply classic rifles capable of decent accuracy, suitable for the game I intend to hunt. A180 at 2900 with 1/2 MOA accuracy is enough for elk and moose this fall. My plan is to accept the fact it doesn't want to run any faster and just go out and shoot with it. It's not a 300 WM or 300PRC in a high Teck stock. Don't think I've worked any of my rifles harder trying to get it to do something it didn't want to do, but I've probably got a 10 year supply of 180son hand to ring steel with.
Now on to the next project,

Last edited:
Back