130 Accubond-YIKES!!!

Man, you all aren't helping with us 6.5 deficient rifles. They sound pretty good. That is some excellent speeds and trajectory you are getting from them. The Sendero 264 really calls my name while sleeping sometimes. Almost brings me into a cold sweat! Scotty

i see the same kind of pattern from my wife's 260 with the 120 gr. B/T
i was out last saturday trying my 7 wsm at 350 and 450 yard to check my bdc reticle, and i brought along my wife's rifle for fun.
the rifle was zeroed at 100 yard with factory ammo, and i was shooting reloads, that i knew were 2" low at 100 y. but was shooting to see how it groups at those range. the rifle have a burris with ballistic plex it was set at max magnification (9X) i shot first at 250 yards aiming between the first and 2nd stadia wich should have been 250 y zero from what i calculated (but with 100 y zero not -2" like i was). impact was 3 high where i expected it to be low. so i tried to shoot at 350 yard ( between 2nd and 3rd stadia) and was 4-5" high, tryied 450 yard (between 3 rd and 4th stadia lines) and was 6-7 " high. so i tough that maybe the zero shifted from the last time i tried it so i shot a group at 150 yard and aimed between the cross hair and 1 st stadia. it went 3" low as expected with my -2" at 100 yard zero.

i tried to recalculate what it would have been like with a 100 yard zero and aiming with the crosshair all the way to 450 yard, if i didn't make a mistake.
figures should be as follow 100 y 0 / 150 y 0 / 250 y 0.5" / 350 y -9.5" / 450 y -26".
and caluculated drop with my 2800 fps muzzle vel. 100y 0" / 150 y -1.1" / 250y -7.4 / 350 y -20.4" / 450y -40.7".

it'crazy and i don't understand it at all, must be my mistake. will try it when i can on a big card board aiming with the crosshair all the way to 500 yards

Ever since I started fooling with .264s I have had weird things happen as far as trajectory goes. I drug this back up for a gent to read that hopefully will be a member here soon. I have loaded his .264 ammo for the the last two years. His loads are with the 129gr Hornady SP and it acts a little more normal. It is a tack driver though. My son just got his new gatlin guns .264 custom rifle so we are working up loads in it. After we perfect the 129gr load we are going to the 140gr AccuBond.I have shot numerous deer with the 120gr ballistic tip loads and several with the 130gr AB load. most of the deer shot with that rifle were shot on the wrong side of 350 yards with a long so far of 620 yards. reflex264

I forgot to put in my other post that I am using Retumbo powder 66.5 grs with the 130 AB in a reformed from 7mm Rem mag WW case and a CCI 250 primer with the bullet 10 thousands off the lands to get average 3350 fps from my 27 3/4" Shilen barreled Rem 700. That long barrel really makes velocity. It will put three shots in a ragged hole at 100 yards also. I have a sporterized 96 Swede 6.5X55 that I left the 29" barrel alone and it really makes velocity with under 46,000 CUP loads. I am getting average 2975 fps with 120 ballistic tips and 2800 fps with 140 Sierra or Hornady bullets using AA 4350 powder. I really like my 6.5's. I have some more Swede Mausers that are stock military and I shoot them in matches and they are just down right accurate. I could never understand why American shooters have shunned the 6.5. I guess it is due to the dumbness of people like Remington and the making of such rifles cambered in 6.5 Rem mag and putting it in a rifle with only a 18" to 20" barrel. Winchester promoting the 264 Win mag as a plains game rifle and people taking it out P-dog shooting and getting the barrel hot shooting 50 to 100 round strings and shooting the barrel out quickly. A 7mm Rem mag will do the same thing under the same conditions. I got a new custom barrel for my T/C Contender pistol this past Christmas and the only thing that stopped me from getting a 6.5-30-30AI was the cost of the loading dies. I went with the 30-30AI because I found some Lee dies the cost much less. It has turned out to be a real shooter and a deer killer.

1Shot
Your getting amazing velocities with that rifle. Curious if you have tried other bullet weights and the velocities your were getting.

reflex264
The 130 ABs are getting loaded this week for hunting next two after that. With the 3.1" at one hundred yards what do you think is the highest this bullet gets before it starts to drop again??

Jim

Wow.,
Not sure at all how to explain it, but I am getting to a range with my son's .264. thanks for posting this!
Hardpan

Jim1 AB":112pgkq0 said:
1Shot
Your getting amazing velocities with that rifle. Curious if you have tried other bullet weights and the velocities your were getting.

reflex264
The 130 ABs are getting loaded this week for hunting next two after that. With the 3.1" at one hundred yards what do you think is the highest this bullet gets before it starts to drop again??

Jim

My best guess is somewhere around 5.5" occuring in hte neighborhood of 350 yards. The weird thing is my normal sight in with the 120gr BT is -0- at 340 yards but I still use 1 stadia up for my 100 yard sight in. We have been discussing this again lately. We are going to try it with 3 .264s. The first one has a 1:8 twist, the 2nd one has a 1:9 and the 3rd has a 1:10. I still believe that has something to do with the 1:8 gun acting so weird. reflex264

I started out doing load work up with 120 Nosler ballistic tips with Retumbo powder and was getting very good accuracy and a touch over 3600 fps with almost max loads. I was afraid to use that bullet pushing it that fast for deer. It would have been alright for over 300 yards shots but I also get shots as close as 50 to 100 yards and that bullet would evaporate on the hair at those speeds. I switched to the 130 AB for that reason and on the 5 deer I have shot with it from 98 to 275 yards it has worked perfectly. My barrel has a 9 twist. I have not tried any other bullets and will stick with the 130 AB. I want to keep this rifle as a hunting rifle the rest of my life and don't want to shoot the barrel out punching paper. My big game consist of whitetail deer hunting but one day I may get a chance to go after elk and I would feel very comfortable using my 264 Win mag with the 130 AB on an elk.

Nosler has probably the best selection of quality bullets and weights for the 6.5. More than any other manufacture. Only in the e-tips are we left high and dry.
I have a question that has got me wondering a bit. Why, besides marketing does Nosler offer the AB in both 130s and 140s. IMO if I need/want 140s I'd step up a grade. Partition or maybe the A Frame. Could it have something to do with the faster 264s shoot one better than the slower 264s. After all there is a world of difference between my 6.5 Ruger and the 6.5X55mm. Maybe after the first deer gets hit by the 130s I'll have my answer. I hope not.

Jim

Seems like the 130gr AB is about perfect for the 260 Rem class of cartridges, while the 140 is more for the bigger 6.5's like the 264WM and such. Just my idea, looking at load data. The 130gr AB seems to be about the equal of a 270 Win with a 130, plus it has better BC and SD numbers. Kinda makes the little 260 bigger than it is. I am glad they offer what they do, we can always justify one bullet in our heads over another! I do it all the time, for no real reason. Scotty

Barrel twist. Some 9 twist don't really shoot 140 gr bullets well but will shoot great with the 130. 8 twist will shoot them all. With the smaller cases you run into problems with 140's and over all length. The bullet is so long that it has to stick way back into the case and take up powder room to get a short enough OAL to fit the magazine.

We just started working with the 140gr AB. Now we can do a side by side with both bullets. reflex264

Keep us posted on how the 140gr shoot. I have a 1-8 twist in my .264 and have some 140gr Berger to try with Retumbo. Mine is a 26" Gaillard SS barrel on a M70.

Boomer, that sounds like a nice one. Hard to beat the M70 and 264 paired up! Throw a picture of it up if you have one! Scotty

beretzs":3tpmw8jh said:
Boomer, that sounds like a nice one. Hard to beat the M70 and 264 paired up! Throw a picture of it up if you have one! Scotty

X2

Sorry for the crappy picture. She will be going in to the smith for a pillar bedding job and I am mounting a Burris 4.5-14 on it.

M70_264a.jpg

Back