130 Accubond-YIKES!!!

Good looking rifle, Boomer. I'm being converted to liking the laminate stocks. They are attractive. You certainly have the right action. :grin:

Thanks guys. It is a Boyds, and even without being bedded it shot this group.

264_Berger.jpg

boomer68

Nice looking and shooting rifle.

JD338

Boomer! That rifle looks great. I have a 270WSM M70 with a laminate stock and it is a shooter also. Matter of fact, I may take it to the range today make sure it is zeroed! Scotty

I'm another curious 264 shooter. I have a custom 1 in 8 twist 264 with a 25" barrel and shoot 140gr AB's at 3122fps. I have noticed that I shoot high with my Leupold Varmint hunter reticle when sighted in as my ballistics program advises.

1.4" high at 100yds
0 at 205yds
5.7" low at 300

At 300yds I hit high using the 2nd crosshair which is supposed to be -5.69" from the 100yd zero. So my question is when I go to get a CDS turret built for this gun, what BC should I use? I'm thinking I need to get my actual drop data out to 600yds measured and have a custom turret built to my data instead of using a CDS built off a ballistics program for this one. Doesn't make sense to me.

1Shot":2cr2lmwv said:
I forgot to put in my other post that I am using Retumbo powder 66.5 grs with the 130 AB in a reformed from 7mm Rem mag WW case and a CCI 250 primer with the bullet 10 thousands off the lands to get average 3350 fps from my 27 3/4" Shilen barreled Rem 700. That long barrel really makes velocity. .

That is smoking!

mcseal2":3byte3vv said:
I'm another curious 264 shooter. I have a custom 1 in 8 twist 264 with a 25" barrel and shoot 140gr AB's at 3122fps. I have noticed that I shoot high with my Leupold Varmint hunter reticle when sighted in as my ballistics program advises.

1.4" high at 100yds
0 at 205yds
5.7" low at 300

At 300yds I hit high using the 2nd crosshair which is supposed to be -5.69" from the 100yd zero. So my question is when I go to get a CDS turret built for this gun, what BC should I use? I'm thinking I need to get my actual drop data out to 600yds measured and have a custom turret built to my data instead of using a CDS built off a ballistics program for this one. Doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know what happened to my post but it went something like this. Call up Leupold and give them those numbers. I tried to plug in some totaly unrealistic BC numbers and never got the computer to match the real targets. I would like to know what they have to say about it. reflex264

Whats your guys loads for the 120g NBTs with RL25 or Retumbo? I"ve got a 24" bbl, looking for highest velocity potential possible without sacrificing accuracy.

Whats ur drops on the 120g NBT? I'm curious as it is a bullet I"m interested in shooting, but the advertised BC is a bit low for me and the type of LR shooting I like to do. .458 is not that great these days.

You guys ever figure out the drops on the 130g ABs out there at long range? Another bullet I was looking at, but again, the BC isn't that spectacular for the price IMO. I like a LR bullet to be at least .500

I looked at trying the 120gr BT also, but I am wondering how well it would hold up. I think with a 120, I could push it pretty close to 3400 at the muzzle. I think that is a little too much for that bullet, unless you are going to be hunting LR with it. Then, it might be fine? Don't know. Scotty

LR hunting/shooting is about all I do...Dont get many shot inside 200 out here for deer, and coyotes, well I'm not to worried about how big a hole is in them. Lets just say I've been on a quest to literally rip one in half with something, hasn't happened yet but I've got close :)

If ya go by the NBT guidelines on maximum impact velocities of 3000fps to make sure the bullet performs as advertised, then it would be around the 175 yard mark that it would be down to 3000fps from the original starting muzzle velocity of 3400fps.

Only thing thats keeping me from shooting it really is the BC right now, and the fact I have 3 boxes of 140g AMAXs that I need to work with first as thats the bullet Id prefer to shoot first and foremost.

partial explanations for the flatter trajectories,
G1 BC's are set up using a different form factor than modern bullets, so as speed increases so does BC, the faster you shoot any bullet the G1 BC gets higher.
also shooting at 95 degrees will cause an increase in velocity no matter what powder ya shoot, moreso with double base powders.
I also shoot a 6.5, its a 6.5 Gibbs (270 with a few changes) I run a 140 berger at 3160 fps with retumbo/210's/win cases, accuracy is remarkable. my rifle does have a 28.5 in barrel (8 twist kreiger) I figure my own BC's from th results of my shooting but can't help ya with the accubonds, will be working with them when my supply of bergers runs out.
I use my 6.5 as a long range deer and groundhog gun, and it serves me well to 1100 yards
This is the result of the third shot I ever fired the rifle at anything besides paper
100_1183.jpg
and this is the best group its ever fired, shot on 11/18/10, 140 berger/62.7 gr of retumbo/3160 fps at 752 lazered yards, measures .334" or .04 MOA, better than I shoot but this time I did it and I'm keepin it.
2shots.jpg

mostly starts a big arguement, but its good to know how well your rifle can shoot when ya have a great day, was it luck? yep, but it was one of my rare moments when I was lucky!
RR

This time I did it and I'm keepin it.

Don't blame you. We all do the same thing if possible. Good show. What does your rifle do on average?

well normaly that target is 830 yards, that day there were cattle in the way so I had to move and it came out at 752, normaly groups at 830 run 2.5-3", the next target is 1o60 and there they run somewhere around 6-8".
RR

reflex264":1k47xlb7 said:
Boys, I shot today. I aint crazy. Here is what I have:

+3.1" @ 100 yards
+3.0" @ 200 yards
-0- @ 411 yards

What I would like for any that can, try the same thing and post their results. As soon as I can get the Gatlin .264 back to try it under the same circumstances I will. It is a 26" 1:10 barrel.

My gun has a 26" Douglas 1:8 twist. The load is the 130gr AccuBond at 3139fps.

I could shoot 500 and 600 yards yet because of the cotton. I will when I get a chance. The scary thing is there is another 150fps + left to play with. As it stands this makes it one of the falttest shooting rifles period.

Anyone out there to try to duplicate it with a .264 and the same bullet? reflex264

As you have pointed out, your results seemingly defy physics (external ballistics). Here's what I get via ballistics calculator - 130 AccuBond (.488 B.C.), 3139 fps, 5,000 altitude:

+3.1/100
+3.8/200
00/300
-8.8/400

I've also been shooting and hunting with a .264 M70 for a few years, and these bear out almost exactly for me.

If you pushed the same bullet to 3675 fps (you can't get there, but hypothetically), all else the same, here's what you would get:

+3.1/100
+4.7/200
+3.2/300
-2.0/400

Notice that even at that insane muzzle velocity, the bullet is still two inches low at 400. Makes no sense to me, but I'll defer to your range work as I wasn't there. The .264 is fast, but it's not magic.

I am looking forward to stretching the 264 out some also. I have a good feeling I will be getting about 3300 out of the 130gr AB's so I have been using that to plot trajectory. While it is "flat", is really doesn't beat anything else like my 270WSM or even the 7RM's by enough to measure out to 400 yards. I imagine it might start gaining on longer ranges though. Scotty

Combination of spin drift and a vertical deviation in your bore concentricity. Spin drift usually carries bullet to the left, but can impart a significant vertical component.

I have a mosin nagant that defies the laws of physics in a similar manner. Hits zero at 100 and 300 yards with the mil. sight set at 100m and flat base mil ball. Should be 12" low at 300. Running a .25 brass rod into the bore reveals noticable bend in barrel.

Back