26 Nosler ?

Just received a little package from Midway! 26Nosler dies, 140gr Amaxs and 160gr Woodleighs. Nosler 129ABLRs and 140ABs already on the shelf. I held the dies up to my ears and I swear you could hear the mountain breeze at 10,000 ft.
Scott

muleman":24j6qbzr said:
Just received a little package from Midway! 26Nosler dies, 140gr Amaxs and 160gr Woodleighs. Nosler 129ABLRs and 140ABs already on the shelf. I held the dies up to my ears and I swear you could hear the mountain breeze at 10,000 ft.
Scott

Lol :)

That is pretty fast getting dies out for it. I would be most interested as to what that long 160 gr Woodleigh will do in the big 26......

Hey Guy!

.264 power.......
8184264_target.jpg

Well heck, it does look like at least two of your bullets managed to hit the target!

And pretty doggone close together too. Nice. :mrgreen:

Actualy that one was 4 shots because I forgot to throw a 5th. :) We have several sub 1/2 groups from the .264s. All 3 will do this. Handloaded groups from the article on the 26 don't look so hot. I can get 3400fps with 129-130 grain bullets from the 27" gun with less than max powder charges and as long as I don't shoot them to the boiling ppint they will last forever. reflex264

Yeah, I remembered that you had done a lot of good work with the .264 Win mag.

When you jumped in on it some years ago, it was the first I'd heard of somebody doing much long-range shooting & all the associated load & rifle development with that cartridge, in a long time.

Excellent accuracy & velocity, and those .26 cal bullets take care of the long-range stuff just fine.

Longish barrels, like your 27" barrel, don't hurt at all on a dedicated long range rifle.

Guy

Guy Miner":3qtxrt5b said:
Well heck, it does look like at least two of your bullets managed to hit the target!

And pretty doggone close together too. Nice. :mrgreen:

Very good, Guy. Zinger; classic zinger.

reflex264":3qtxrt5b said:
Actualy that one was 4 shots because I forgot to throw a 5th. :) We have several sub 1/2 groups from the .264s. All 3 will do this. Handloaded groups from the article on the 26 don't look so hot. I can get 3400fps with 129-130 grain bullets from the 27" gun with less than max powder charges and as long as I don't shoot them to the boiling ppint they will last forever. reflex264

Reflex,

That is some enviable shooting. It will do for most anything you would ever need to tackle here in North America.

The 264 WM is a good one for sure. Reflex, how many rounds on your current barrel, I believe you were up to over 2000 and still shooting well.

Yep way over 2000 shots down the tube on one of them. Need to count the other two. The barrel with 2k shots still shoots 5/8" groups. It used to shoot 1/4" and less. Not bad for a " worn barrel".

reflex264":3k5j8yad said:
Yep way over 2000 shots down the tube on one of them. Need to count the other two. The barrel with 2k shots still shoots 5/8" groups. It used to shoot 1/4" and less. Not bad for a " worn barrel".

Not bad at all. I have found that if one doesn't shoot 'em hot and ignore cleaning the throat, the barrels will last quite well on hot cartridges. Ignore these facets, and you will ensure that barrel makers stay in business.

DrMike":dpus0ez1 said:
reflex264":dpus0ez1 said:

Not bad at all. I have found that if one doesn't shoot 'em hot and ignore cleaning the throat, the barrels will last quite well on hot cartridges. Ignore these facets, and you will ensure that barrel makers stay in business.

Exactly.

Good article in the April Guns and Ammo about the 26 by Boddington.
He states it is from the 7RUM which is based on the Jeffrey case itself.
He also tested it when it was experimental still (11/2013) and said the hand loads provided still had a 7RUM headstamp.
Definitely think I "need" one. :grin:

Back