Winchester model 70 New Haven

Dec 25, 2010
I am trying to figure out which was which in the New Haven model 70 - I know the "classic" and the shadow push feed but wasn't there a CRPF model too ? was it the "ultimate shadow" ? I had a 325 WSM I bought from consignment, a RMEF banquet rifle, and it was a CRPF (stupid to sell it, I know) and I want another but can't figure out which name it went by

I'm not the expert (my guess would be Doc Mike might be) but I'm pretty sure the Classics were CRF but I don't know (outside of the Coyotes) which ones were PF.

The Classic was Controlled Round Push Feed from 1992 onward, as was the Super Shadow, Coyote and Stealth. I don't believe the WSMs were chambered in the Stealth, though they were chambered in the Classic, the Super Shadow and the Coyote. I wouldn't bank on this information, but it is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

My understanding is that the Classic, which resembles the the pre-64, is indeed CRF. The CRPF action has the post-64 type extractor, but the bolt face is machined so that the case rim pops up into the extractor during feeding in a way similar to CRF.

I was looking over the Model 70 line just the other day, and it appears to me that everything being produced as of now uses the Classic action (I may have overlooked something that's actually CRPF, though) so it looks as though the Model 70 has come full circle.

I have four rifles that use the CRF dsign, one of which is a Model 70. The Model 70 is by far the smoothest feeding.

Long live the Model 70!

RiverRider":1mkghjl8 said:
My understanding is that the Classic, which resembles the the pre-64, is indeed CRF. The CRPF action has the post-64 type extractor, but the bolt face is machined so that the case rim pops up into the extractor during feeding in a way similar to CRF.

I was looking over the Model 70 line just the other day, and it appears to me that everything being produced as of now uses the Classic action (I may have overlooked something that's actually CRPF, though) so it looks as though the Model 70 has come full circle.

I have four rifles that use the CRF dsign, one of which is a Model 70. The Model 70 is by far the smoothest feeding.

Long live the Model 70!

Well said RR! I have a push feed M70 XTR 7RM, and it has always been a great shooter and no malfunctions that I can ever remember. The others, are all Classic with CRF. Again, never had an issue with any of them. Glad to see the M70 pushing its way to the top again. One of these days I will get me one of them new SC built M70's. They really seem like some well built rifles. Scotty

Wish I had some better photos to post of the various Model 70 actions. The only one I have never owned is the original pre-64 controlled round feed action. Other than that there have been three basic types:

Push Feed - introduced in '64 as I understand. The big claw extractor is missing. That's the easiest visual clue to this action. Although the Model 70 purists dislike these, they could be very good rifles. They were good enough for gunsmiths to build many match-winning rifles on them for a couple of decades. My old Win 70 long-range match rifle was built on a post '64 push feed action and was an excellent rifle.

Controlled Round Feed - this was the original pre-64 Win 70 action of so much fame, and it has a huge external extractor alongside the bolt. Very easy to see. A version of this was released in the 1990's in the "Classic" series of rifles. I've owned a couple of them, and they were decent hunting rifles. The extractor on these CRF rifles looks much like the extractor on Mauser actions, 1903 Springfield actions, 1917 actions etc... All the current Model 70's in production that I've seen have a CRF action. I'm real tempted to go grab a .30-06 Supergrade, because I like them so much.

CRPF - I don't know if this is still offered - I don't think so. My New Haven built Win 70 Coyote features this action. It looks like a push feed, with no external claw extractor, but works a little different from a normal push feed. Mine feeds the short, fat WSM cartridges slick as all get out. Very nice.

Those are the three basic variations of the Win 70 action that I know of.

Those Supergrades sure are nice rifles. My buddy's 300WM is a heckuva good shooter too. A 270 Win/30-06 in a SG would be a cool, classic hunting rifle for sure. Scotty

Yeah, I've been toying with picking up a Supergrade in a belted mag and having a gunsmith on 24HCF (Redneck, Lee Christiansen) convert it to a .300H&H.

BK":ewyn2tap said:
Yeah, I've been toying with picking up a Supergrade in a belted mag and having a gunsmith on 24HCF (Redneck, Lee Christiansen) convert it to a .300H&H.

Very cool rifle BK! That is a classic for sure! Scotty

There are two very distinct differences in the M70 Classic CRF models. Early on, they had a poor quality extractor (pot metal at best) and two-piece bottom metal. The extractors were changed to a Williams around 1999-2000 or so and the one-piece bottom metal soon followed. The Classic Sporter went through 2 or 3 design changes in the stock. The latter NH versions were a David Miller design. I've owned a few over the years and actually prefer the current BACO made versions with the MOA trigger. Forget all you know about the M70 and give the new models a close look. They are very well built. New Haven models just wreak of American Labor Union quality, or lack thereof, in the final few years. The SC models are of good quality but not in huge supply and some with questionable barrels. The pre-64's do nothing for me even though I own two of them. Their barrels are wierd and the hinged floor-plate releases are not reliable at all. The finish on the receiver doesn't match the rest of the rifle. They are just old junk to me. If mine weren't family heirlooms, they'd been down the road long ago. I know the 3-position safety is regarded as one of the best ever designed, but I just can't get used to the loud click and abrupt movement forward when disengaging the safety.

IMHO, Winchester messed up by "puppy-milling" all these different actions and magazine styles and still calling them a M70. The Super Shadow and Coyote are CRPF models, but certainly are NOT model 70's, regardless of what Winchester calls them. They are still nice shooting rifles and quite serviceable though.

thank you to all for the great information - I have owned some of the CRF's and although they are highly regarded they're sometimes a "bugger" to deal with as far as loading / unloading - I, for one, feel the model 70 safety is the only one worth a darn and the "old" model 70 trigger is what has made me pursue a New Haven rifle - Last year I picked up an RMEF banquet 325 WSM super shadow and it shot awesome, handled perfectly and felt like an extension of my hand so what did I do? sold it to a buddy who begged me ... and he refuses to sell it back to me - I like the newer CRPF action just fine - I am gonna get one and have it rebored to a 338 Redneck Short Magnum, once I get it protected with Cerakote or some such coating I will have as close to a bullet proof, no nonsense, no freeze up hunting rifle for when I hunt in crappy conditions as I'll ever need

The only M70's I own are New Haven rifles, built before the big move. They have all been great shooting rifles. I have been trying to get into a new SC made M70 for awhile, but I keep seeing older M70's. I can't see you being disappointed wit any of them really. I will say the fit and finish to the new SC made rifles in pretty darned nice. One of these days I am sure I will get my own Super Grade! Scotty

beretzs":lh3ryhul said:
Those Supergrades sure are nice rifles. My buddy's 300WM is a heckuva good shooter too. A 270 Win/30-06 in a SG would be a cool, classic hunting rifle for sure. Scotty

I saw one example of the Super-grade in Rifle magazine. That particular example was in 270 WSM, but the stock was entirely too plain.....

POP":15lzf1w5 said:
beretzs":15lzf1w5 said:

I saw one example of the Super-grade in Rifle magazine. That particular example was in 270 WSM, but the stock was entirely too plain.....

Man, I guess it is still hit or miss. There is a SG 270WSM at the local gun pusher where I bought the 264 and man, it is NICE! Scotty

I've handled several Super Grades from the SC factory. All that I've seen exudes quality. The wood is great on these rifles that I've seen here in northern BC.

Here is a SC made (recent) Super grade in 30-06. Looks ok but not the way a SG should look.

pix581427064.jpg

It seems like the newer SG's made in SC aren't as "shiny" as the older versions, which I don't mind to too much. This is a poor shot picture, but a picture of my buddies 300WM. Still, a very nice rifle. Scotty

DSC_1301.jpg

DSC_1302.jpg

DSC_1303.jpg

Back