Henry 45-70

The phone just rang... one store just got a rifle in. He is $100 more than the other store but I will have it 4-5 months sooner. Hmmmm
If you buy it show us a picture and I'll mail you some Nosler 300 grain ballistic silver tips factory seconds but I can't tell the difference.

I'm guessing you will reload?

I do plan on loading for this rifle. The store is back home so I don't know when I will get there because of archery season going on now in WI. My hope is to shoot a doe this weekend and run home next weekend to see my parents and pick up the 45-70. Kinda funny. The rifle was built 3 miles from my house but I have to go back to my hometown to pick it up.

Great info in your write up Guy. I think I will be happy with this rifle. I ordered brass, dies and bullets this morning. I need to look at the Skinner Peep Sight next. I think that would be a great addition to the rifle.

WT,

Skinner sights are good.
Are you going to mount a scope or just use iron sights?

JD338

I have the Marlin 1895 ltd that has the half octagon half round barrel and holds 7 shells. If fully loaded that thing is pretty heavy.
The 1895G holds 4+1 but I always load 3 shells in this or any rifle for that matter. Can't tell you the last time I needed more than 1 shot.

JD338

This weekend I went home and picked up my new rifle from a local store. I added a Skinner peep and drifted out the rear sight. I need to find a dovetail slot blank to fill in the barrel slot. Hoping to break it in soon. If I'm lucky I will get to use it next month for deer season. I really like it so far. The action is very smooth and it comes up quick. One last cool thing about the rifle. I was built on my birthday according to the packaging slip that came with it.

Attachments

• henry.jpg
    henry.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
This weekend I went home and picked up my new rifle from a local store. I added a Skinner peep and drifted out the rear sight. I need to find a dovetail slot blank to fill in the barrel slot. Hoping to break it in soon. If I'm lucky I will get to use it next month for deer season. I really like it so far. The action is very smooth and it comes up quick. One last cool thing about the rifle. I was built on my birthday according to the packaging slip that came with it.
If you want to try some Nosler Ballistic Silvertips I'll send you some

Congratulations on your new birthday rifle.
Hope you connect on a big Wisconsin buck. The 45-70 is a sledgehammer on deer. The blood trails are impressive too.

JD338

I couldn't wait to shoot the new rifle so I went after work today. I had 10 rounds loaded. The goal was to get it on paper at 50. I'm not very good with a peep sight but I got it on paper. Now to get those 2 high ones into the group. This load produced a very mild recoil. I would compare it to a 7-08 or less. Fun to shoot. I want to try a little heavier charge and see what happens.

Attachments

• unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 4
Back