Will a 338 225 accubond open up at 1700 fps??

kraky

Handloader
Jan 21, 2006
I'm swaging this bullet down to .330 and using it in an old military rifle with open sites. Most loads and bullets hit about 9" high with the stock sites but I found a load starting this bullet at 1900fps that shoots fantastic and right on the money at 100 yds. This could be a really nice mild load for this old gun and I'd like to persue it for deer hunting. Looks like it would still be doing about 1700 fps at 150yds. Do you think it would open enough to be effective?? I'm thinking I'd never recover one to check how it did.

My gut feeling is that any expansion would be minimal at best at that velocity. As to recovery, it depends on the animal and what parts are hit during passage through the body.

I think I'll jack the load another 75 fps and see if it drifts up. Maybe it won't and Ican continue building speed without changing impact.
Even if it drifts up 2" I can still live with that.

Antelope_Sniper":1yqi2ahz said:
Kraky, I'd back off to the 200gr BT, or 180gr BT, and up the velocity.

+1 for the 200 gr AB.

JD338

JD338":60pvxthh said:
Antelope_Sniper":60pvxthh said:
Kraky, I'd back off to the 200gr BT, or 180gr BT, and up the velocity.

+1 for the 200 gr AB.

JD338

Or that 180 AB- That should open up and get you a little extra speed as well.

At 1700fps the 225gr AccuBond will open enough up to give a fairly good wound channel and is still effective on game.

I understand the fact that I can get more velocity out of the 200/180's but fear my point of impact will climb considerably as most ammo I've loaded near modest pressure shoots 9" higher.
Well I managed to "up it" (225ab) to 2010fps muzzle velocity. It's starting to hit a little higher but that might be good enough. I'm now out of bullets and will have to pick up more. It's good to know I'm in the ballpark. Re the 180 bt's I've heard they are some pretty tough suckers too? Not sure they would open any better than the ab's?

Yes...a new front site would be a good idea. This is an old hungarian steyr straight pull rifle. I now have the load up to 2010fps with 50 grains re17 which fills the case nicely, burns clean, and should be a nice mild load to keep that old straight pull in good condition. And it's accurate and landing just a tad high now with the original site. The front site has no screws but I'm sure I could get the local gunsmith to cobble something on there. In the menatime I think this combo will work with a 2010 start speed out to 100-150yds. I actually doubt I'd have a shot at more than 50 yds to be honest.

Back