Why is anyone getting (or has gotten) a 26 Nosler

I suppose I see the place the 26 Nosler is falling into. However it doesn't seem to bring much more to the table than the .264 Win Mag and does it best the .264 STW? I sure don't see the point of a 7mm-26 Nosler when we have the 7 STW and the 7mm RUM already.

Guy Miner":1mbi6prb said:
What cartridge would be your "End all Be all" for long range hunting?

I'm guessing his 7mm-300 Wby would be it or the straight 300 Wby which I can't remember if he still has one of those.

For me the 270 Wby may end up being "the one" for a long range round as soon as it gets built.

7mm Allen Magnum....I very nearly bought one instead of the Nosler 280 Ackley.

A 190 grain 7mm bullet at 3,300 fps...it's the ultimate 7mm (338 Lapua, necked to 7mm)

In the end...I decided I didn't want the hassle of all that barrel changing.

Guy Miner":ods30a6m said:

Light weight rifle-6.5/300 WSM spitting 140 grain bullets or a fast 7mm 150-160 grain pill.
Medium/heavy game-any super magnum in .308 cal shooting using well constructed heavy for caliber bullets.
Large game ie: Elk, big Bears, etc. way out there- 338 Lapua Magnum firing a 300 grain projectiles.

Which is way we have so many different calibers floating around to hunt with, anything will work if properly placed under Ideal conditions.

rodell":c7rrqzsn said:
Guy Miner":c7rrqzsn said:

408 Cheytac? :grin:

I've played with one of those. Interesting and expensive option.

Also the .50 BMG, quite a few times here and there.

Guy

gerry":1iwt3344 said:
Guy Miner":1iwt3344 said:

I'm guessing his 7mm-300 Wby would be it or the straight 300 Wby which I can't remember if he still has one of those.

For me the 270 Wby may end up being "the one" for a long range round as soon as it gets built.

Yes my 7mm x 300 WBee is GOOD enough for Me or my 300 WBee a close second ! :grin: RJ

Not an end all but, a 7-300 norma would be interesting. I am not sure what you could get a 180 hybrid up to but I would think 3300 would be attainable. May be my next endeavor.

usmc 89":5s619il0 said:
Not an end all but, a 7-300 norma would be interesting. I am not sure what you could get a 180 hybrid up to but I would think 3300 would be attainable. May be my next endeavor.

That would be a pretty cool looking cartridge too. Man, talk about a rocket ship.

I find the choices of long range ideas interesting. They are crammed full of powder waiting to go boom.

Yet, the picture below from http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/09/07/rifle-cartridges-what-the-pros-use/ shows the opposite thinking.

I'm assuming that if a deer got hit in the chest with one of these at a 1200 yards that it would more than likely expire.

So gents, why the large BANG when you can get the accurate kill at long ranges with the little cartridges? Just curious--

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I think part of it is the downrange power.
If you place the bullet correctly it doesn't matter what you use. However there are times when things don't go as planned and the bullet doesn't get placed where it should. The thinking, at least in my mind, is a little extra power doesn't hurt. It is generally thought that you need 1,500 fpe, foot pounds of energy, to cleanly and consistently take down an elk. Yes, less energy will work, but if you don't get perfect bullet placement you may cause undue suffering to the prey hunted.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Rem Jim":2sjdq6gt said:
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm+Practical.html

This is a Nice cartridge ! :grin: RJ

I think the Practical, Mashburn Super and 7-300 Win all sorta fit into the same category. All more than a 7 mag, but less powder than a STW/RUM.. I know I am gunning for a Mashburn in the future.

As for the little cartridges and killing. Not saying they won't or don't kill at long extended ranges, but it seems the additional FPS afforded to the bullet allows for more predicatable performance. I like the little 6's and 6.5's, but I'd much rather have a little extra power and the accuracy to go along with it.

IMO, the 26 is too much of a good thing for just a average sporter rifle, no in a 11-14 pound rifle with a 30" tube it would be an awesome long range deer killer, but in a 9 pound rifle with a 26" barrel its not any better than a 264 or q 7mm RM, my 6.5 gibbs uses a 270 case and runs a 140 at 3260 fps, my stw will run a 140 at 3550 and a 160 at 3340, my 7mm allen runs a 160 at 3575, and a 200 at 3250, seems to me the 26 is under powered for its capacity even at 3300 with a 140.
RR

Rem Jim":7j577jgf said:
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm+Practical.html

This is a Nice cartridge ! :grin: RJ

Thanks for the link. It was quite educational for me as I don't have the history/knowledge most folks around here do discussing certain cartridges.

Back