Why is anyone getting (or has gotten) a 26 Nosler

I reckon it would be about as good as it gets for a sheep/goat rifle...

I don't need one, but wouldn't mind having one all the same :)

Agree with both the above.
Whenever I get done playing with building on Savages, I'll probably get one. Just because :grin:
Vince
Post subject: Re: Why is anyone getting (or has gotten) a 26 Nosler Reply with quote
To run the 6.5 bullet like Mario drove his car.

Now that's funny.

I have a couple 6.5-300wm's, which aren't quite as fast, that are pretty hard on critters from close to far. I've shot a few elk with it under 150yds, a antelope at 513yds, and a deer at 1006yds. More speed=less drop, less drift, and more energy. 2 of mine are plenty accurate too. The 3rd I haven't shot much to figure out what it is capable of. I shot a 2 1/4" vertical and 6.5" horizontal 3 shot group, with the one I shot the deer with, at 950yds a couple weeks ago. 2 of the 3 shots were within 1.5" of each other. Both of the 2 I have dialed will shoot 3/8" or less at 100yds. For a hot rod that is pretty good IMO.

I guess the better question is......why wouldn't you want one? :mrgreen: :lol:

I noticed over on Long Range Hunting Forum....they were very quick to offer their custom rifles in 26 Nosler....smart move IMO, since that crowd isn't as concerned about barrel life as the average hunter.

I wouldn't think the average hunter would ever wear a barrel out. Some folks just want to be first to get the newest thing available. If I couldn't do pretty much the same thing with my 264 mag, I might be interested.

Alderman":313efg0c said:
I wouldn't think the average hunter would ever wear a barrel out. Some folks just want to be first to get the newest thing available. If I couldn't do pretty much the same thing with my 264 mag, I might be interested.
That's true...but it seems many of them worry about it anyway, lol.

Vince":3u6fmbhh said:
To run the 6.5 bullet like Mario drove his car.

There ya go. It's the Hot Rod of the hour.

Same kind of reason for selecting a .257 Wby Mag... SPEED! And all the goodies that go with it, like flat trajectory.

No, I didn't buy one, but I understand the lure of a flat shooting, high velocity rifle. Absolutely.

Guy

NOPE No Need for it ! :shock: For Long Range deer -sheep-goat -pronghorn my 257 Weatherby will get the job just as well ! :grin: and if not my 7MM x 300 Weatherby will Get ER Done do just as GOOD ! :lol: JMO RJ

I only have a a "slow" 6.5 and it has been impressive to me and others. I would like to think the 26 Nosler is more of same. If the chambering were available in the rifle systems I use, I would have one.

Alderman":1mlxr6fx said:

I have nearly worn my 1949 Model .270 Winchester barrel out. I am the second owner and figure that I have put 3000 rounds of 130 gr bullets through it in the 41 years that I have owned this rifle.

The average hunter around here shoots a paper plate once a year, calls it good and heads to the tavern for a beer.

Alderman":3np4mo31 said:
The average hunter around here shoots a paper plate once a year, calls it good and heads to the tavern for a beer.
To me, someone that works hard to be as accurate as he can be, is disgusting.

[emoji20]

Not too interested in a 26 Nosler since I have a 257 Wby.
BUT... If they come out with a 7mm Nosler based on the same case I would be very tempted to have the current 7mm Rem Mag re-barreled/re-chambered.

Partisan":3b0bzij2 said:
BUT... If they come out with a 7mm Nosler based on the same case I would be very tempted to have the current 7mm Rem Mag re-barreled/re-chambered.

Be the first in your neighbourhood; get the 7 RM rebarrelled now! We'll help you work up loads. :grin:

DrMike":1k9ts17w said:
Partisan":1k9ts17w said:

Be the first in your neighbourhood; get the 7 RM rebarrelled now! We'll help you work up loads. :grin:

This is what I'm working on. A 7mmx 26 Nosler. I have all the parts just gathering funds to put it all together. I'm expecting performance between a 7STW and 7RUM. I want to run the 175gr ABLR. I'm hoping to have Quickload by then but if I don't; I'll be relying on the largeness of the members here to get me on the right track.
Scott

Back