100 yd Sight In

nosler06

Handloader
Nov 13, 2012
Ok, I have been having discussions with some newbie hunter/shooters/reloaders about aim points. This will mostly relate to 30-06 180gr Parts and 180gr AccuBonds but can be for all rifles.

Over my many years of hunting, reloading and shooting when I hit the range to test new loads and finally sight the rifle in with a load I have always used 2" high at 100yds. I have used this impact point as a guide that would basically would allow out to 250 and even 300 yds using the same aim point on an animal to hit vitals. Newbies are coming up with information that 2" is too low and 3" is a better sight point for 100yds. I know that each load is different as to velocities and trajectories, but really wonder if there is a new thought with regards to aim points.

What are your thoughts with the 2" vs the 3" high at 100yds?

I have heard/read all sorts of theories over the years.

The best answer is to find one which works best for that individual, given their hunting/shooting style, and stick with it, regardless if cartridge/load/rifle combination.

For me, I prefer to use the 200 yard zero. Regardless of rifle/cartridge/load combo, I will be somewhere between 1-2" high at 100 yards and somewhere between 6-10" low at 300 yards, allowing for a hold on hair for almost all of my own personal set limits for shooting at unwounded game at estimated distances. Then it does not matter what I am hunting (typically large game), where, and what rifle I am using, I can hold on, or slightly higher on the animal and still place my shot in the vitals from the various field shooting positions for a clean, quick harvest.

Most of my rifles are zeroed at 200 yds. This usually puts the
bullet 1.3-1.8"at 100 yards, depending on the bullet weight
and velocity.
I think you would be better off being 2" high as opposed to 3" high at 100 yards.

JD338

A std 30-06 180gr load 200yd zero is about 2" hi at 100yds. 3" hi puts your zero out to about 235-240yds, and about 5" down at 300 vice about 8". For me it depends on what and where I'm hunting. Also depends on where you prefer to shoot them. If the intent is a hi shoulder shot 3" hi is a bit riskier. Elk or moose I wouldn't have a problem with 3" high at a hundred. More important is to instinctively aim within your midrange trajectory and know your drops beyond your zero for as far out as you are going to shoot. When it's time to shoot is not the time to do math. I zero for mpbr based on group size and kill zone size.

Yep,2" high @ 100yds is much better than being 4" low @ 200yds if your sighting dead on @ 100yds.

100 yards is a starting point, nothing more.

I have taken a "2 inch high" 100 yard target and then shot 4 inches high at 200 yards immediately thereafter with the same rifle. Zero it in at 200, and it's 1.7 inches high on 100 yard recheck. Why? I don't know, but I would never use a 100 yard zero/point of aim for many rifles. Even my muzzleloader and 35 Remington are zeroed at 150 yards.

If you never check the accuracy of your rifle beyond 100 yards, then you should probably never shoot beyond 125-150 or you're just taking a WAG as to where the bullet will hit no matter what you read on the interwebs or a magazine.

And yes, I have a fairly strong opinion on this subject. :grin:

As a rule that's what I do too. Two inches high at 100 yards, especially with my .30-06 and handloads. Accroding to the calculators this has me spot on at 200 and 5-6" low at 300 with 150-165 grain bullets while the 180's dip more like 7-8".

Some of my smaller bore rifles only are sighted 1-1.5" high at 100 because 2" may be enough to overshoot those squirrel heads at closer ranges.

I think you're just fine to do as you have done for all of these years. However a 3" high sight in at 100 yards wouldn't be completely off whack. Cactus Jack wrote about doing that for years with his .30-06 and .270 rifles to get the maximum point blank range possible with his rifles.

Thanks for sharing!

Dale

I tend to NOT sight in at 100 yards. No "one inch, two inch, three inches over." Not with the hunting rifles.

Instead I sight in the rifle at about the appropriate distance... for the rifle, the terrain and the game.

For instance:

.30-30 Marlin with 170's is sighted in at 100 yards. I've practiced from 25-300 with it, but it's most likely to be used at modest range. It's dead on at 100 yards.

.25-06 is my open country mule deer, coyote and pronghorn rifle. Zeroed at 300 yards. And I know where it hits from 20 yards to 500 yards, which seems appropriate. Did get one Wyoming buck at 20 yards with my "open country" rifle... :grin:

The rest of them are dialed in at 200 yards, which seems to work out real well from very close range out to a bit beyond 300. That includes my rifles with middling velocity, like the .308, .30-06 and .375 H&H.

So yes, I know where they hit at 100 yards, but that's not how I look at the sight-in distance. I'd rather think of "am sighted in at 200 yards, so I'll be about 8" low at 300 yards."

I think it's more just a way of looking at things, than much of a practical difference in sight-in techniques. Of course if I only had a 100 yard range to shoot at, I might be more inclined to go with the ol' "two inches high at 100 yards" thing. But I've got a 600 yard rifle range at my disposal and I use it!

Or with the .25-06, it's mostly just put the crosshairs on the animal and squeeze the trigger! :mrgreen:

Regards, Guy

I sight in just about every center fire rifle I own to be approximately 3" high at 100 yards. With the 35 Whelen and a 250 it's about a 240 yard zero, with the 7mm MSM it's about a 320 yard zero. My method is to do the calculator work before I hit the range with my measured FPS and zero the rifle at that range. 3" high at 100 will make most cartridges no more 4" high at 100. For my purposes on elk and deer I've never had a problem making killing hunting shots and know that from 0-300 I don't even have to engage my brain, just point and shoot.

The 45-70 and other rifles that are closer ranging rifles get more appropriate zeros for them but 3" high is just the number I use to roughly get them where I want.

I got my first scoped rifle in 1954, a 30-06. Having read Jack O'Connor for a few years prior I sighted in 3" high at 100 yards. Worked just fine for me and I've used that sighting for most of the rifles I shoot, magnums or otherwise. Some rifles like the 30-30 and 45-70 are sighted differentlybut most are 3 high. Kind of like, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :lol:
Paul B.

...well, back in the 'Dark Ages' before rangefinders & ballistic apps, MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range) was a pretty good solution, but I think most of us will agree that the majority of our shots on game are under 250yds. Using a 3" high POI @ 100yds. will put you, depending on the cartridge, 4-5" high @ 150-175yds., right around the dist. I'm most likely to have a shot, & usually close enough, that I don't really have a lot of time to consider that I might need to aim a little low. Using a 200yd. zero, the high point on most cartridges will still be around 150yds., but 2-3" above Line of Sight, not much of a problem, & w/ most of the cartridges I'm shooting, that most people are shooting, 6" low @ 300yds, 18" low @ 400yds, +/- a couple inches (still not a problem). Ballistics tables using a 200yd. 'zero' are readily available for most cartridges. All that & the fact that my range is 200yds. makes me favor a 200yd. "zero"...

wildgene":33uqdfic said:
...well, back in the 'Dark Ages' before rangefinders & ballistic apps, MPBR (Maximum Point Blank Range) was a pretty good solution, but I think most of us will agree that the majority of our shots on game are under 250yds. Using a 3" high POI @ 100yds. will put you, depending on the cartridge, 4-5" high @ 150-175yds., right around the dist. I'm most likely to have a shot, & usually close enough, that I don't really have a lot of time to consider that I might need to aim a little low. Using a 200yd. zero, the high point on most cartridges will still be around 150yds., but 2-3" above Line of Sight, not much of a problem, & w/ most of the cartridges I'm shooting, that most people are shooting, 6" low @ 300yds, 18" low @ 400yds, +/- a couple inches (still not a problem). Ballistics tables using a 200yd. 'zero' are readily available for most cartridges. All that & the fact that my range is 200yds. makes me favor a 200yd. "zero"...

Very Well said, I haven't heard the term MPBR since the Dark ages......I like your way of thinking.. (y) I pretty much do the same thing.
With a new generation (turret twisters) MPBR is unheard of anymore. Obsolete if you will....jmho

Atleast I know you guys got a Sense of Humor.... :mrgreen:

Unlike some other forums I'm on.

possum":15havd7e said:
Atleast I know you guys got a Sense of Humor.... :mrgreen:

Unlike some other forums I'm on.

Yes, we have a resident crew of jocular homosapiens. They have a day job at the Piggly Wiggly but can be found Thursday through Saturday night at Ma's Speakeasy and Pancake Lounge on Route 66 at 7 PM, 9PM, and 1 AM as well as 11 AM Sunday morning. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my bolt rifles are zeroed at 200 yds. Levers at 150.

I zero at 200 Yards as I'm a proponent of the Zeiss ballistic drop reticules.
That system works best for me I've found.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those that sight in at 100 yards, 2 or 3 inches high, I have a question -

do you verify where you're actually hitting at 200 and beyond?

Back