Shooting virgin brass at the 600 yard match

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I had purchased 200 pieces of Lapua brass, and dont like wasting bullets, powder, primers or wear the barrel to fireform them, so I did my load development a couple weeks ago. I was hoping to find a good load to use at the 600 yard match and fireform at the same time, its like killing two birds with 1 stone. Today I did extremely well at the matches using virgin brass! I was pleased to score a 199-11X, 200-14X, and a 199-11X, highest is 200. I got a couple of nines out of 60 shots, due to wind. At the end of the match, a correction was needed to change the .308 icon on the screen to .243 caliber ( left side of screen ) due to human error and recalculated and that took 1 bullseye off my overall, so I got 35 bullseyes out of 60 shots. Went head to head with some guy using a 6 Dasher using 105 Hybrids, he scored 32 bullseyes and two 200 scores, beat me by one point in match #1 and 3 and I beat him buy two points in match # 2. There were some good shooters there using SAUMS, 6 x 47 Lapua, Creeds, and 284's. The 6 Dasher guy was hard to compete with, I stayed focused and watched the headwind and wind was changing. Used the 103 Vapor Trails and they do rock. Word at the club was that I broke the most bullseyes record of 14 bullseyes with 20 shots, it was a record and the highest was 13 bullseyes. Overall I I'm happy, still have 39 pieces of brass to tinker with until all are fireformed.
I need to get off this long range shooting craze and do some water jug tests with some Ballistic Tips in my 6.5's. I need a break. :LOL:

Attachments

• matchh.jpg
    matchh.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 13
  • matchh1.jpg
    matchh1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 13
  • matchh2.jpg
    matchh2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 13
Very nice shooting!! Who says virgin brass doesn't shoot?! The real question is, were you using an MOA or MIL scope? 🤣
Of course its an MOA ATACR SFP , who says MOA guys don't know how to shoot? :LOL:
The morning was colder than the last time I calibrated the Kestrel, and after adjusting the Kestrel, spinning that thing to get temp / humidity, and checking wind, and target location, and dial it in, the first three sighters was in the X ring. I love that Kestrel, it works every time.

Boggles my mind that new virgin brass from Lapua can be so consistent to be used at a match. That is a first for me. Between 3 sets of 20 rounds / total of 60 rounds, 1687 FPS / 8.7 SD in match 1, 1689 FPS / 7.8 SD in match 2, and 1690 FPS / 11.1 SD in match 3. (FPS at impact @ 600 , muzzle velocity is 2720 fps )

Boggles my mind that new virgin brass from Lapua can be so consistent to be used at a match. That is a first for me. Between 3 sets of 20 rounds / total of 60 rounds, 1687 FPS / 8.7 SD in match 1, 1689 FPS / 7.8 SD in match 2, and 1690 FPS / 11.1 SD in match 3. (FPS at impact @ 600 , muzzle velocity is 2720 fps )
You never know till you try it :love:

Back