Truck Gun

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What is you idea of the perfect truck gun?

Tough, durable, accurate enough for the occasional varmint (2-4 legs).

What say you?

Have a friend who carries a Ruger Mini-14 in his farm truck. Course he lives on 15K acres, so varmints do pop-up from time to time.

I would use any gun that would be in my truck at the time :) Of the guns I own the 375 Ruger is the one to handle tough jobs followed closely by my 35 Whelen.

You aren't gonna like it, but an AR15 with a low powered variable scope with illumination. .223, unless you live in wolf country, then a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC.

I used to carry a .22WRM single shot in the truck. It took care of everything that I needed.

When I had my two door Toyota 4x4, a beat up looking but otherwuse well maintained M94 30-30 rode behind the seat. I made a special rack just for that rifle. It had a Williams receiver sight and would serve just about any need I might have. 8)
Paul B.

Actually as I am less worried about 4 legged varmets, than the two legged kind, I carry a Sig P 220.

My truck gets to ride around my iron sighted .375 Ruger a fair bit since in my parts a "4 legged varmint" can easily exceed 1000lbs.

I really miss my R-15 with the collapsible stock and 18" barrel. I love my 243 but the 26"barrel hits things in the cab now and then. I'll be having another 18" AR of some sort here in a while.

Go the cowboy way.......

Rifle and handgun chambered in the same cartridge....

Such as a Marlin in 357Mag and a S&W 686.....

I think a cosmetically challenged 788 in .222, .223, or maybe 6mm is about the ideal truck gun.

Best one I had was a custom Ruger M77 with a 20" #5 contour bull barrel and a laminate thumbhole stock in 243. It was the most accurate rifle I ever owned until I took the barrel out, and shot everything from 70-100gr very well. It had plenty of weight for long shots and just enough length to make sure you couldn't point the barrel at the mirror. It's new barrel is a 25" Kreiger in 6mm and it still shoots really well, but isn't as handy as it was. It sure is effective though with the 70gr BT at 3824fps. I usually carry my Ruger all-weather 77/22 in 22 magnum on the other half of the overhead rack. Keeps me pretty well set for any varmints in my neighborhood.
Others I like are my M77 stainless all-weather 243, Ruger American 270, and custom 204 Ruger on an M77 action. I really like Ruger's small 3 position safety or the tang safety so it's harder to accidentally bump it off and let the bolt come open for a truck gun. Nothing to fancy to beat up either. I figure the longest rifles that are still handy in the ranch trucks are 22" long actions or 23" short actions so I buy or build accordingly.
For handguns I have a couple 357's I keep in the trucks small enough to slip in a pocket if I have to walk up to a broke down vehicle, or to run off a trespasser. The 357's seem to do a better job of penetrating the skull to euthanize an animal if it needs it also as quick and humane as possible.

I live in open country so I like a scope in the 4.5-14 or 4-16 range on centerfires. The Minox 3-15 I saw on Cameraland, or even the 4-20 sounds about perfect. All my current truck gun scopes are Leupold though and I can't cuss their toughness or performance so I'll probably stick with them.

Back