Truck Gun

alaska100":1nyhu8et said:
I should have read everyone else's post BEFORE I posted and perhaps I would have passed on this thread LOL

I am definitely the odd man out on truck guns----story of my life

I think you have a good mix for your neck of the woods. Hard to beat a 45-70 for Alaska!

Actually, a tikka scout rifle. it has a 1-8 twist 20" barrel.a picattiny rail and comes in .223 or .308. I think cables is blowing them out for 750 right now which is dirt cheap. the tikka that I sold Joel was hitting prairie dogs pretty consistently at 600 so your 200-300 yard requirement would be boring. plus you could always thread a suppressor on it later.

alaska100":1s7hpfkc said:
We have never had "a" truck gun, we always had two and now three

In El Paso we always had a 12 gauge shotgun and a 30-06 in the rack. Now that we are in alaska we have a three gun rack. We still have the 12gauge and the 30-06, but we have added a lever 45/70. The 12gauge brings more home to eat on a day in and day out basis. The 06 has gone from our coyote gun to wolf gun, plus everything up to the brown bears and the 45/70 is mainly for the brownies and protection when fishing

I am originally from El Paso. Are you? We might have a few things in common.

ARs are certainly great rifles, but I always found them a little awkward to handle inside a vehicle on account of all the projections. The handiest was always a 10-22, which was perfectly suited to our nigh time jackrabbit assassination forays.

alaska100":fz5js342 said:
We have never had "a" truck gun, we always had two and now three

In El Paso we always had a 12 gauge shotgun and a 30-06 in the rack. Now that we are in alaska we have a three gun rack. We still have the 12gauge and the 30-06, but we have added a lever 45/70. The 12gauge brings more home to eat on a day in and day out basis. The 06 has gone from our coyote gun to wolf gun, plus everything up to the brown bears and the 45/70 is mainly for the brownies and protection when fishing

Sean, I think in your area, you have it just about right

photo-3.jpg

Ruger makes 20 round magazines for these and anything out to 250 -300 yards is in deep trouble as this rifle rides nicely on the dash setting on a towel :) Ruger Mini 30!

Sean, If I lived in Alaska, I would have a similar toolkit to yours, except I might switch a short barrel Ouch & Ouch for the .45-70!

Oldtrader3":3i3pfgna said:
Sean, If I lived in Alaska, I would have a similar toolkit to yours, except I might switch a short barrel Ouch & Ouch for the .45-70!

Those choices definitely make sense in Alaska!

FOTIS":1zg6fopd said:
Oldtrader3":1zg6fopd said:

Those choices definitely make sense in Alaska!

Without a doubt, I would feel very comfortable with a 405 at around 1600-1800.. Pretty sure it would make a decent rifle to take care of them Alaskan beasties!

This one has my interest for sure!

GN_Ruger_Gunsite.jpg

rugerscout308.jpg

SJB358":lkvguetz said:
An AR is hard to beat for a truck gun. Shorty barrel with a 1-7 twist and shooting some high BC bullets, like the MK262 MOD 0 Black Hill's ammo. Work good for varmints near or far, and wouldn't break your heart being bounced around a pick up.

Shoot... Might have just talked myself into one! I hate when that happens!

It's okay Scotty we all do it or others do it for us. That's what I have as a truck gun awfully hard to beat. ACOG and a surefire light and laser combo works pretty darn well. 16" barrel and collapsing stock is a must.

FOTIS":16tk8dz6 said:
This one has my interest for sure!

GN_Ruger_Gunsite.jpg

rugerscout308.jpg

Had a chance to put rounds downrange with one and was impressed at how handy it felt. It has gotten good reviews from the guys around here that have them.

Back