Truck Gun

An AR is hard to beat for a truck gun. Shorty barrel with a 1-7 twist and shooting some high BC bullets, like the MK262 MOD 0 Black Hill's ammo. Work good for varmints near or far, and wouldn't break your heart being bounced around a pick up.

Shoot... Might have just talked myself into one! I hate when that happens!

This one....

IMG_0309.jpg

SJB358":14ih4po7 said:
An AR is hard to beat for a truck gun. Shorty barrel with a 1-7 twist and shooting some high BC bullets, like the MK262 MOD 0 Black Hill's ammo. Work good for varmints near or far, and wouldn't break your heart being bounced around a pick up.

Shoot... Might have just talked myself into one! I hate when that happens!

Well, probably be a step down from the work rifle...

I've found that the M700 SPS youth in 243 to be as handy and versatile as any. I'm not dinging up a $1200 AR or try to fit a standard length barrel out the window. The 20" barrel and short LOP of the youth model is an ideal combination, even for a taller guy like me at 6'2". The rifle is maneuverable inside the cab and can be put away in the case easily and safely. It pops everything from smaller critters to deer-size animals out to ranges that will challenge any shooter's ability. Besides, it also serves as a great rifle for its intended use, for kids to shoot.

ruger mini-30 rebarreled by ARS of odessa tx with a super match lothar walther 20" heavy tube chambered in 6mm ppc, has a burris 4x12 compact target a camo laminated thumbhole by wenig.
6ppc001.jpg

RR

It's hard to beat an AR for a truck gun IMHO. I keep one in the truck during the spring and summer months. I will second the 700 SPS 243 youth rifle for a truck gun. Got one that's been punched out in 243 AI with a VX3 3.5-10 and its a great little shooter.

We have never had "a" truck gun, we always had two and now three

In El Paso we always had a 12 gauge shotgun and a 30-06 in the rack. Now that we are in alaska we have a three gun rack. We still have the 12gauge and the 30-06, but we have added a lever 45/70. The 12gauge brings more home to eat on a day in and day out basis. The 06 has gone from our coyote gun to wolf gun, plus everything up to the brown bears and the 45/70 is mainly for the brownies and protection when fishing

I have never owned an AR or anything that does not look like a Mauser or Model 70 since I got out of the Army. I just can not get my head into rifles that look like a tool box. That is just my take and not intended to ire anybody. I just don't have any interest in militaria but I am very pro military.

Right now, I have a cheap Savage .22 WRM that is my truck gun. It is bolt action and has a 5 shot clip. Anything short of a bear is in big trouble with that thing. I am running a contest on Norway rats to see how many in a row I can kill shooting them through the eye offhand! Most are at 15 to 20 yards but it still is a challenge to hit them in the eye. The rifle shoot about MOA at 100 yards (depending on ammo) and suits me fine for a truck gun.

I carried similar when I was working mining drill sites up in northern Quebec. I killed everything with that single shot .22 WRM, including quite and few wood chucks.

Oldtrader3":1wbpsvz1 said:
I have never owned an AR or anything that does not look like a Mauser or Model 70 since I got out of the Army. I just can not get my head into rifles that look like a tool box. That is just my take and not intended to ire anybody. I just don't have any interest in militaria but I am very pro military.

Same here Charlie, but I can't snub the fact the AR works well and is a tough customer. With the amount of toolkit stuff for them and their chamberings, they are some sweet rigs. Woody is putting together a 243WSSM, which should run right there from his 243AI. That should be one awesome rifle from Varmints to deer.

I do also like that Ruger Scout though.. 308, short, laminated stock, bolt action, mag fed, peep sights.. That's a little more my style.

It all depends on where the truck gets drove I guess. For me I mainly use it on yotes, and often at ranges where they think they are safe and will stop to look back, past 300yds. I almost never have time to range or read wind so a flat round that bucks wind decent is perfect. 25-06 really needs a 24" barrel at least, so that leaves the short action 6mm's as about perfect with bullets from 70-80gr. Velocity of 3400 or so, BC around .330, just seems to work for my situation. If 200yds was a long shot a 223 would be excellent and if 100yds was a long shot a 22 mag. For me though, it's hard to beat the 6mm's for a single rifle and a 22 mag or the 204 for a second gun to not blow up smaller furbearers. I can pack 2 on the overhead rack so I usually do.

SJB358":382zi57j said:
Oldtrader3":382zi57j said:

Same here Charlie, but I can't snub the fact the AR works well and is a tough customer. With the amount of toolkit stuff for them and their chamberings, they are some sweet rigs. Woody is putting together a 243WSSM, which should run right there from his 243AI. That should be one awesome rifle from Varmints to deer.

I do also like that Ruger Scout though.. 308, short, laminated stock, bolt action, mag fed, peep sights.. That's a little more my style.

...ahem...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... 35&tid=012

I should have read everyone else's post BEFORE I posted and perhaps I would have passed on this thread LOL

I am definitely the odd man out on truck guns----story of my life

Back