Zeiss Terra Scopes

Oldtrader3

Ammo Smith
Nov 6, 2009
Since no one paid any attention to this on the other post, I will start a new post directed to talking abut this topic. What is happening with the new Zeiss Terra MC riflescope? The currect Zeiss catalog shows these scope with MC coatings availble in: 2-7x32, 3-9x42 and 4-12x42, with 3X technology continuation.

The Zeiss catalog does not say where they will be sold but the MC lens designation has always been a North American product. The Germans are usually rather cryptical about product releases and informing anyone of their intentions certainly, so, it is rather difficult to read my crystal ball and see where these Terra scopes will be sold.

Zeiss has previously announced the discontinuation of the US made Conquest series of scopes but now are listing these Terra scopes which are available with the same basic reticles that the US Conquest scopes had. Zeiss also had peviously announced that they were introducing the HD5 Conquest HD5 which includes 2-10x42, 3-15x42 and 5-25x50 scopes, all made in Germany to replace the Conquest 3X scopes. What gives with all of this new listing of an additional scope line and the new Terra line being listed in the new Zeiss catalog with no inkling or the market it will be sold in? I am confused?

Thanks Kurt, from the MC designation, they must be taking up where the Conquest left off with US manufacturing. Similar appearance, 3 to1 magnification, different format of focal length (i.e. 3-12x42), same price range as Conquest. I wish that the Master Race would verbalize a little more about what their marketing plans are! They need'nt be so secretive. I was all in a tizzy about this but it looks like all is the same but different?

Well, the 4-12x42 that I linked to looks to be just the ticket for a .223 Sporter...

BK":2urxcf40 said:
Well, the 4-12x42 that I linked to looks to be just the ticket for a .223 Sporter...

I think that would be a GREAT scope for a few of my rifles. IF these are a German/US made product, I am all over them. 3x9 and 4x12 with 40mm OBJ's are very useful to me. I just hope nothing pops up about them being assembled in China or something.

Zeiss still has some product pride. They are not going to sell a Chinese optic and call is a Zeiss. It was enough of a culture shock for Zeiss to do the Conquest manufacturing here in the US.

That makes it good in my book Charlie. I know I would give one a try. I am needing a few scopes right now, so the Zeiss remains pretty high in my sights.

I have enough scopes to go around, Scotty, but after my little trial by darkness review this weekend, I have two scopes that did not make the grade, in the Leupold Vari XII (no surprise there) and the Minox (bigger surprise there). With the resulting urge to fix these two issues and also the discontinuation of the Conquest 3X line, had me mentally scrambling to ad another Conquest to my grouping of scopes.

Now that I know about the Terra product release, I am somewhat relieved and have stopped hyperventilating about getting a Conquest this very week. In fact I am probably going to mount the Minox on my .22 WMR rifle. where the Vari XII is now, and sell the Vari XII. This takes the pressure off and gives me time to think through my next Zeiss acquisition strategy. I am considering the existing Conquest 3.5-10x44, or the Terra 4-12x44 and the 2-10x42 HD5 which are all priced between $500 and about $800.

However, without more data, I could not make an informed discision as to which scope to choose for best value at this point. There should be more information forthcoming on this topic soon with both the Terra and HD5 perfomance attributes being released to market. I will wait and watch now, unless I can score a 3.5-10x44 Conquest for a really low price.

Oldtrader3":1xy6b6q9 said:
I have enough scopes to go around, Scotty, but after my little trial by darkness review this weekend, I have two scopes that did not make the grade, in the Leupold Vari XII (no surprise there) and the Minox (bigger surprise there). With the resulting urge to fix these two issues and also the discontinuation of the Conquest 3X line, had me mentally scrambling to ad another Conquest to my grouping of scopes.

Now that I know about the Terra product release, I am somewhat relieved and have stopped hyperventilating abut getting a Conquest this very week. In fact I am probably going to mount the Minox on my .22 WMR rifle. where the Vari XII is now, and sell the Vari XII. This takes the pressure off and gives me time to think through my next Zeiss acquisition strategy. I am considering the existing Conquest 3.5-10x44, or the Terra 4-12x44 and the 2-10x42 HD5 which are all priced between $500 and about $800.

However, without more data, I could not make an informed discision as to which scope to choose for best value at this point. There should be more information forthcoming on this topic soon with both the Terra and HD5 perfomance attributes being released to market. I will wait and watch now, unless I can score a 3.5-10x44 Conquest for a really low price.

Same here Charlie. I am in the market for a scope for my Alaskan. The HD5's and heck, any of the Conquests would likely work fine. I don't need ultra high power, as 10X would be more than enough for that rifle. I imagine within the next couple of months, I will get in on one of them. I do keep my eyes open for decent used scopes and Demo's as well, so something should turn up.

I think Cameraland has a bunch of 3.5x10's on sale right now as well..

FYI, the Conquest line is NOT going away but will be cut back with regard to product offerings. I think that there will be 3 models left once the dust settles, and IIRC all 50mm objectives.

The Terra is the lower cost option with not-quite-as-good glass and coatings, and the HD5 is supposed to be better than the Conquest.

This based on talking with Zeiss at the SHOT show last month. I have their new catalog at home but am at work now so can't look at it.

Im still thinking about it and watching Ebay. I may still buy a Conquest anyway, a 3.5-10x44. That size suits me for anything that I would use it for. I already have two 5-15x42 range scopes, a 4-12x50, a 3.5-10x50, a few 3-9x40, a 2.5-8x32 and a 1.5x5x20. I would like to have another decent 3.5-10x44 though.

You have some good scopes already but a 2-7x32 would sit well on your 338 Federal or 9.3x74 (or my 35 Whelen). That one would be great for the guys with 45-70's too

Gerry, I have a VX3 Leupold 1.5-5x20 on the .338 Federal, Sako plus, I have a Conquest 2-8x32 on the 9.3x74R. I have also seriously considered and am still thinking about a 2-8x32 Duralyte Zeiss. I do not want want more 50mm scopes as 42-44mm objectives work well with low TPS rings. I have (2) and only two, custom built rifles with a high enough comb to take these 50mm objective scopes and have good cheek weld. A 2-7x32 sope would work fine. I just have this itch for another 3-10 power scope.

I believe that when I get my 280AI done I will be placing the Diavari on my 35 Whelen & then placing my Leica on the 280AI. I not longer have any 50mm objective scopes.
I really like the 36 to 42mm objectives on my rifles.

Blessings,
Dan

I am just upgrading a couple of the scopes that I have in inventory just to do so. I have some older Leuopld's that I am slowly replacing with more capable scopes.

Back