Scope Evaluations.

Oldtrader3

Ammo Smith
Nov 6, 2009
I don't know what I know about optics after this morning, except they are no better than my corrected eyesight with my new glasses (20/20), plus maybe half of the 20/15 line on the Snellen eye chart.

I also did a color shift test on the Leica ER, Zeiss HD-5 Conquest and my older Zeiss Diavari V/VM with a MacBeth color swatch chart. None of these three scopes shifted color sufficiently for me to see it at 15 yards with the three scopes set on 3X in natural sunlight.

The scopes that I tested with the eye chart at with scopes at 6x are: Zeiss Conquest HD-5, 3-15x42, Leica ER 2.5-10x42, Zeiss Diavari 5-15x42, Swarovski AV 4-12x50, Kahles 3.5-10x50, Minox ZA5 2-10x40 and a Leupold Vari-XIII 4.5-14x40AO.

On the Snellen eye chart test set at 30 yards, with scopes set at 6X, there were no surprises when testing the Zeiss HD-5, Leica ER, Swarovski AV, Kahles scopes. They all easily read all of the 20/20 chart and about 1/2 of the 20/15 chart letters. The surprises were the older Zeiss Diavari at only 20/20, and less so the Minox at 20/25 and the Leupold at 20/30 resolution. The Minox ZA5 and Leupold Vari-XIII were not much of a surprise but the Zeiss Diavari, which is 20 years old did surprise me. It was a $1500 scope in the early 1990's. However, coatings have come a long way in this era of post industrial age science

I will keep working on this challenge and find a better optic rating system which does not require a laboratory. This testing just exemplifies how hard it is to chose a scope among the major, premium brands. Essentially the Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski and Kahles brands are very close in test results to one another. Certainly when, the Zeiss HD-5, Leica ER and Swarovski scopes are essentially equal in contrast and resolution.

Personally, I would put the Leica slightly ahead of the Zeiss HD-5 in this test because of the better color saturation of the Leica but believe me when I say that there is not a large difference between these top scopes. The Leica is very impressive with really sharp images and saturated colors.

Thanks Charlie for the info. I have a question for you regarding the VX3. Would the VX6 be a better comparison to the Zeiss,Leica,Swar, & Kahles? Just wondering :).

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for the report Charlie.
Great info sir.

JD338

Dan, I am sure that the VX6 would be a much better match for the German scopes. I just don't happen to have one on hand. I have (3) Leupold scopes but only one is a VX-3. The others are older or are rimfire.

IC, thanks Charlie I always enjoy reading the info you are able to give!!

Blessings,
Dan

BTW, the Leica scopes (ER's) have 4 inches of eye relief which is about 1/2 inch more than Zeiss or most Swarovski models.

I think that my days of scope evaluations are drawing to a close. I can no longer see much better than 20/20, even corrected with glasses. Any scope with a performance equivalent to the HD-5 Zeiss or even a 3.5-10x44 is better than I can see anymore. I still know what I have learned over all these years of using scoped rifles but can not see optical details that I could even a few years ago when I had better then 20/20 vision. I can still see the difference between a Zeiss conquest and a Minox ZA-5 but that is about the extent of it. Plus, I have a precancerous lesion in my master eye and this is hampering me more all of the time.

Back