What scope for a pre 64 m 70 .270?

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
Last summer, I read two compilations of stories of Jack O'Connor. Since that time, I have been enamored with the "rifleman's rifle." A few months ago, I purchased a pre 64 model 70 in .270. I am contemplating a "new" scope for the rifle. I would like to purchase a new or newer scope that would be period correct for the old girl. What say you?

Steel tube weaver K-4 with a 2 min dot. An old redfield in Gloss black ...... If you want a new scope I'd say a Leupold FX 6x in gloss. CL

My 1949 Model 70, .270 Custom has a 3.5-10x50 Kahles on it. You may not want 50mm objective but the 3.5-10x40 is a great scope for the .270 Win for hunting.

cloverleaf":2fs2o23i said:
If you want a new scope I'd say a Leupold FX 6x in gloss. CL

This is what I would do, I'm quite happy with the one on my 35 Whelen simple, light and tough. if you hunt in open country a lot the LR Duplex would be a good choice.

I have an extra Leupold, Blued, 3 X 9 x 40 that has great glass, I would have to look the outside over however, its been its in a Lupy box. That would be very close to that time frame. I also have a nice Weaver, but the glass was not that good.

Got to go Weaver K-4 if you want old school for the time frame. But if you go modern era anything Zeiss and you'll be golden.

Whatever compilations you read, you have a couple pieces of literary gold on your hands there. I bought both of Jim Casada's collections and although Jack had been gone for six and a half years when I was born, his stories are still just as rich as when they came off the press. I catch myself pulling those books out and just reading whatever I open to.

Depending on how closely you want to match up, Leupold has a 4X33 that would be about as close as you'll come to what he had on I believe his #2 rifle. More progressively, CL raises a good point with the 6X42 FX3, which is a great scope at a good price. I have one on my .270 Featherweight, and my 1959 .30-06 will likely get the same treatment. On the other hand, it's hard to argue with any of the VX3s or Conquests.

Congratulations on a great rifle. Post some pictures!

OU812":2dxkghls said:
Got to go Weaver K-4 if you want old school for the time frame. But if you go modern era anything Zeiss and you'll be golden.

I'm with Bill. Can't see anything Zeiss being a bad choice and you can get some great deals on the older models right now since they are slimming down their line.

I have several rifles which are nearly as old as I am. I have no intention of employing the optics that I used 50 years ago on my hunting rifles when there are so many really good modern scopes available. I has some of the old Weaver, Redfield, Lyman and Leupold scopes of the 1960's. They were fine in their day but do not hold up well today when compared to modern scopes with fully multicoated lenses.

I inherited grandpa's old 30.06 pre 64 model 70 and left it in the safe for years as I was told the barrel was "shot out," and the old Redfield fixed 4x on it had no crosshairs. Got started into reloading and discovered the old rifle really loved grand slam and game king bullets. The biggest improvement came when I put a Leupold vx-3L in 4.5-14x50mm. Suddenly the old gun can really put bullets where I want them. Shot two whitetail does with it last fall, one at base of her ear at 80 yards, the other behind her shoulder at 270ish yards. Love the gun and feel bad it sat so long when all it needed was some love and better technology. I have to agree that a new Zeiss would be affordable and exceptional as well.
I had the stock professionally restored as the original stock was nearly void of stain and I feared it would start to develop cracks. Really a great and useful tool and since it was grandpa's rifle, a priceless keepsake.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,046
Firebird,

Welcome to the forum; and thanks for an especially gratifying report on the old 30-06. I don't know how many rifles I've seen that were reported to be "shot out" that delivered excellent accuracy when given a bit of TLC and time to find what the rifle enjoyed digesting. Good looking old rifle, and all the more neat that it is a family rifle. Congratulations on a fine rifle and thanks for taking time to give it a chance to work again.

Firebird,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard!

Firebird, welcome to the forum! I am also an appreciator and owner of an old Model 70 (1949), .270 Winchester which is nearly as old as I am. I bought the gun with a trashed stock in the early 1970's and had a custom stock made for it. The rifle now has a Swarovski 4-12x50 scope on it and I have used it for 50 years now, shooting and deer hunting. I have killed probably close to 100 deer with this rifle and it is still going strong.

My family were not hunters except for my dad and his Mauser Commercial Sporter rifle was stolen a few years before he died in 1988.

It's going to be difficult to combine vintage looks with modern advantages in optics.
I think the same as a few have mentioned, Weaver Classiic K, Leupold FX, or maybe an older Zeiss Diavari.

The overall appearance of most European scope manufacturer's has not really changed much in the 30 year time period that I have been buying and using their scopes. The dial's and certainly the coatings and much of the inside mechanical components have been upgraded or redesigned but the scopes still look much the same.

The Zeiss Diavari C that I bought in 1983, except for the rubber objective lenses cover, looks very similar to the current Zeiss Conquests. Even the logo is the same. The European scopes never did use gloss finishes on their scopes and for that reason, they still look similar and use a similar tube and eyepiece design.

Back