Ruger 77/44

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Sue's new backyard buck buster, Ruger 77/44
Mounted a Leupold M8 3X (Thanks Fotis) which is just about perfect for hunting WT deer out back.
Need to get a 100 yard zero and see how she likes the Nosler 240 gr JHP with 23.5 grs H110 in a W-W case and a Federal Large Pistol Magnum primer.
Stay tuned!
DSCN10321.jpg

JD338

JD,
A friend of mine has a fully suppressed version. It sounds like an air rifle and you can hit a golf ball at a 100yds. It's a job specific weapon but it sure is fun!

Scott

Thanks fellas! This should fit the bill for some big backyard bucks>

JD338

Sometimes at the range I shoot my Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" 44 while my rifles are cooling off. Mainly just for fun, and just shooting free-hand. But even with 300 grain bullets (w/ 20.0 grns H110 @ 1325 fps), you be surprisingly accurate out at 100 yards. I'll bet that little rifle would have no problem at typical ranges, it looks very handy.
:grin:

When I got out of the Army, back in '73 I used a little Marlin 1894 in 44 mag ( Remington 240HP which did not open up, but wadded up) in East Texas. I never shot a deer nor hog beyond 50yds! It was "decidedly deadly". :) Good rig you got there!

I like that little rifle. Just about ideal for a lot of the pig hunting I do, walking them up from scrub and long grass.

I suspect a 240g HP at those speeds will surprise deer of all sizes!

I share the mutual enthusiasm for that setup. Great little/big rifle, and a great scope! I was kind of hoping to score that scope but was too slow on the draw. Figured it would have been perfect on a .375 H&H. And being fixed power, has fewer moving parts for a heavy-kicker to scramble.

Really nice setup Jim. Sue is okay with the little rifle's recoil?

Regards, Guy

Thanks fellas. We have shot it at 66 yards and it shoots very well. Sue ran a Nosler 240 gr JHP into the water jugs and we recovered a perfect mushroom in jug #5.

Guy, she hasn't complained about the recoil at all and really enjoys shooting this little rig. My buddy at the farm suggested she shot a crop damage deer with it next month.
Stay tuned.

JD338

I had one of the original production ones. It's just a devastating whitetail rifle out to 125 yards or so. Mine (and most others from reading forums) was a little frustrating with accuracy. Mine was a 3-4 inch gun at best. Certainly minute of deer, but not quite satisfying. I shot two small coastal deer with mine and the plain Jane Remington 240 JSP sailed right through them. MASSIVE wound channel. I now have a Marlin 1894 which has given good accuracy (2") I wish Nosler still made the .429 Partition. As it is, I have started loading the Nosler 240 JSP and the 240 Swift A-frame (at over a buck apiece I won't be doing too much experimenting on paper.)

You load sounds about right. That's a common near max load. I am interested in seeing how accurate yours is.

I will be shooting this rifle off the bench this weekend and see what the accuracy level is.
Sub 2 MOA accuracy would be acceptable to me as most shots will be under 50 yards.
FWIW, this load will shoot a 6 shot ragged hole at 50 yards from my S&W 629 Classic if I do my part.

As for speed, I'm guessing 1675 fps from the 18.5" barrel. For comparison, this load runs 1339 fps from the 6.375" barrel 629 and 1750 fps from the Marlin 1894 20" barrel.

JD338

muleman":1uncnfj9 said:
JD,
A friend of mine has a fully suppressed version. It sounds like an air rifle and you can hit a golf ball at a 100yds. It's a job specific weapon but it sure is fun!

Scott

Buddy has one also. No louder than a small air rifle and wicked cool!

Mine shoots really well. I even have a light mounted on mine and it sees a lot of use as a camp rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's basically the same load I've been shooting in our Ruger .44 Auto carbines, except about 30 years ago we switched from a JHP to a JSP 240 grain. The JSP's gave more consistent performance. Right now I'm loading Speer 240 Gold Dots but my supply is running low.
Our carbines can shoot 50 yard groups with all touching if one can learn to control that atrocious trigger. I'll bet that M77 has a much better trigger than the Auto.

Attachments

• SS851905 (1024x768).jpg
    SS851905 (1024x768).jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 1,236
Back