44 Rem Mag 300 gr JHP

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I was struck with the need to play so I picked up a box of .429 300 gr JHP bullets to mess with in my S&W 629 Classic 44 Rem Mag. I am going to load them up with H110 and see what kind of speed and accuracy I can get. I am also going to water jug test a couple to see what the expansion is like. If it works out, I just might have to give them a try on a WT out back this fall.

Stay tuned.....

JD338

Used them for years Jim. 20 gr H110 is the load.

FOTIS":1bqwf6g0 said:
Used them for years Jim. 20 gr H110 is the load.

Thanks Fotis!
That is where I am looking.

JD338

The 629 I had maxed out at 18.5gr H110/Nosler 300 JHP and accuracy was awesome, I got 1200 fps with a 8 3/8 barrel.
Good luck Jim and keep us updated.

Randy

Thanks Randy.
I think 1200 fps would make for a potent load.

JD338

I shoot a 310gr WFNGC + 21.0grs H110 from my 4 5/8" SBH when I think I need to punish myself........ it works well. :)

I have been thinking about trying them as well. Still need to get the taller front sight installed on my SBH, but I think those would be pretty serious. The 240's are great bullets, so the 300's should be king for heavier game as well.

I used a 240 gr XTP for whittails around here and they worked great. That 300 gr should be the goods as well! I'm now using a 270 gr Speer Deepcurl with 296 and a CCI 350 primer.

...you might consider trying a few loads w/ Lil' Gun, giving up a little MV (50fps) for considerably less pressure, muzzle blast, & residual crud...

I have always wanted to try it Gene. I think Fotis spoke highly of it as well. Might need to look into when I am home.

Jim, I never shot anything over 240gr in mine but H110 was the powder there to.

You going to be using that for your fall bear?

Yes sir. LILgun does work well in the 44 mag. Also in the 500 S&W

28 gr of Lilgun launches the 700 grain t-rex cast bullet at 1238 fps.

getImage.jpg

jmad_81":2puzeckk said:
Jim, I never shot anything over 240gr in mine but H110 was the powder there to.

You going to be using that for your fall bear?

That could very well happen Jake.

JD338

JD - some years ago I was bear hunting with mine, 300 gr Nosler HP/.44 mag/H110...

Decided to pop a forest grouse for camp fare. Bad idea... Really bad idea. Grouse soup. I think it would have done a fine job on a bear though... :grin:

One of the gun-writers had a heck of a story about taking a big moose with a .44 and the 300 gr Nosler. Layne Simpson maybe? I'll see if I can dig it up. His report was favorable as I recall.

Guy Miner":1joy2mn9 said:
JD - some years ago I was bear hunting with mine, 300 gr Nosler HP/.44 mag/H110...

Decided to pop a forest grouse for camp fare. Bad idea... Really bad idea. Grouse soup. I think it would have done a fine job on a bear though... :grin:

One of the gun-writers had a heck of a story about taking a big moose with a .44 and the 300 gr Nosler. Layne Simpson maybe? I'll see if I can dig it up. His report was favorable as I recall.

Thanks Guy.
Layne Simpson was the writer, back around 1997. I have the article. :mrgreen:

JD338

Back