Product Review of Norma Oryx, .30-06, 180 gr, Ammo

Oldtrader3

Ammo Smith
Nov 6, 2009
Image is three groups shot with Norma Oryx, 180 gr, .30-06 ammo for evaluation in my .30-06 Winchester Model 70 at 100 yards.

I had bought two boxes of 180 grain Oryx bullet ammunition from Midway to test the new Oryx bullets at the range for a shooting and grouping evaluation. I was able to get that done today but I did not take the chronograph with me because I am having difficulty lugging a lot of stuff to the range with my poor health. I will chrono this factory load eventually.

Just from observation on shooting (9) rounds into (3) groups through my Model 70 .30-06, these are pretty stiff loads and have greater recoil then my 165 handloads which are also pretty stiff loads. These loads fully flattened the primers but did not show any other signs of unusually high or abnormal pressure.

The photo of my test target shows three groups of 3-shots each. I was not shooting particularly well today but the point is made. In the bottom group, I had one flyer which was the first round through a clean and dry barrel. It still managed to group into 1-1/4 inches despite flyer of first round. The other two groups are within 1 MOA for 3-shots despite there being a flyer on each group. In every one of the three groups, there are two bullets touching each other which indicates to me that this Norma Oryx ammunition is of very high quality with well designed game bullets the shoot into good hunting groups. This with a shooter who is not an old and sick clutz!

30-06scanofgroups9-20-13_zpse03c567e.jpg

That looks good Charlie, I believe you are right that the ammo is good stuff and Norma does probably load it to maximum pressure. It would be interesting to see what kind of speed you are getting out of it, the Oryx is supposed to be a great bullet too.

Fascinating stuff, Charlie. Perhaps you weren't shooting your best, but it is pretty good with factory ammunition. I recall the Norma ammunition that I've fired in years past, and it was somewhat warmer than loads built here in North America. I can't say they were too hot, but they sometimes gave a bit of stiff bolt lift.

Charlie - I agree, looks like some impressive ammo. I think we've got a test of the Oryx bullet posted in the bullet test area as well.

Good to know about another source of high quality ammo.

Guy

Just saw this Charlie. Great report. That Norma ammo looks to be top notch. Great shooting. I can't say I'd shoot any better than what I see come from your results either. Way to stick with it.. Now, go find an elk to stick with em.. Wanna see some game recovery!

Norma ammo.................... sorta interesting that back in the 1980s when I was doing some deer recovery down on the South Isle of NZ most sport shops carried American ammo say Win and Rem stuff. But none of the guys were interested in it for a 30/06 as they all were aware of the fact that 06 ammo from the USA was very loaded down to meet the pressure regs set for it because of the old weak actions kicking around. They all realized the potential of the round when handloaded but the factory ammo of choice with the KIWIS was usually the Norma stuff as it was loaded up to the same preasures as any of their other stuff..................
Seams like it is still a bit of a mystery to the public even now-a-days......................... so many folks still don't realize because of the liabilitys involved how milk toastish the American ammo for an 06 is! Until the Hornady Lt Magnum stuff came along; I think the Norma ammo; if you didn't handload, was the only show in town.................... :shock:

Absolutely, when I lived and hunted in Canada back in the 1970's, while taking a break from handloading I used Norma ammo for my 7mm Rem Mag, .270 Win and .30-06 any time that I could find it. Norma ammo, even before the Oryx bullets was fine ammo faster and more accurate than the RemChester ammo of the time!

Nice shooting Charlie, I have been wanting to find some oryx bullets to load up myself as the seem like the will get the job done for sure! Glad you were able to get out as Bronchitus has had me down for last couple weeks but feeling better now!

Back