Preferred Gas Gun Brass

CMBTshooter

Handloader
Jun 8, 2011
What kind of brass do you all run for M1Gs and M1As? Do you all go for cheap stuff like R-P and Winchester because it gets beat up quickly or do you go for more expensive and more durable brass like Nosler, Lapua, maybe Hornady?

I want to buy 1000 pieces but I want to buy the best brass to get the job done.

Lake City mil brass is best for M1As and 7,62 M1 Garands. It's a bit heavier so it takes a beating and keeps going strong. I've had my 30-06 Garand shred rem commercial brass in 2 firings. I treat commercial brass as fire and forget brass in these rifles. Same goes for my HK91 .308, I imagine a M1a would be similar.

WCC (olin) and PRVI NNY(Serbia military) are also very good. If you've got money to burn, Lapua or Norma commercial are good strong brass as well. I suspect PRVI commercial .308 brass is the same as their milspec, the trend holds with 7,62X54r and 7,92X57, but I haven't had any to inspect personally.

For my 30-06 M1 Garand I use LC MATCH cases. I got a hold of a lot of them WAAAAAAAAY back. But still I only load them 4 times and pitch them. The rims get really beat up and function and lock up troubles start after about 4 loadings. I have really never had trouble with any cases if I limit them to only 4 firings. I used to borrow a M1A from a buddy before I got my M1 Garand when I was shooting the over the course matches WAAAAAAAY back there in the 80's. I always used LC Match cases, CCI 200 primers and IMR 4064 with 168 Sierra Match Kings. I limited my case life to 4 firings also.

Try to find some 1x fired HXP brass. It is really good stuff. There is usually quite a bit on the CMP boards for $.15 or so each.

My only semi auto .308 is a HK91 so whatever is the cheapest works since it is one and done.

I always ran Lake City brass in the M1's I shot

JD338

Back