It is just NOT Fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
For the game animals I mean!!!!! Tomorrow is the second day for antelope hunting in my area (for disabled veterans----we get 5 days early in WY on all seasons). Anyway....

I went to the range today to work on my 308 Marlin Express recently acquired.
Please reference post http://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31635
....... funny story.

Also I took my super finicky Ruger #1 264 mag ( the one with the Uber wood).

I had the hicks accurizer installed 1 month ago but never used it.

Long story short. JD 338 wanted me to use my 340 Bee for antelope tomorrow. 210 Nosler PT at 3150 fps and under .75 MOA. So That would work but I gave these guys a try.

Initial 3 shot group with clean 308 Marlin express barrel. Factory ammo. 1.2" 100 yds

TXVp9mMm.jpg

Cooled her completely off made the adjustment in the scope and.......the next 3 shot group from the lever at 100 yards with factory 160 Flex tips at 2600 fps plus.

Mother of GOD!!!!!

Next came the 264 #1

142 ABLR at 3144 fps super low SD!!!!! All groups same load!!!

2 different 3 shot groups at 100 while turning the screw to find sweet spot

Getting dark and as a hail Mary did a full 180* turn o the screw. At this point the barrel was pushed away from the forearm BUT not 100% free floated!

.75" all day long. I bet you if I had some more time to tune the accurizer I could have done 1/2" or so. No biggie!

the Hicks

http://www.eabco.com/HicksAccurizer1.html

Almost all my #1's get it. Works well!!!!

yah~ :lol: :lol: them .30 lever actions are never accurate..... :p :p Go get yourself a goat! Have fun! CL

Now, that is putting them where they belong. That is one fine lever rifle. The .264 will perform very well at that level of accuracy.

Pretty amazing, you hit the motherload with those rifles. Have a great hunt. !!

Boy some people have all the luck :shock: That's looking good Buddy glad to see they're shooting good. (y)

Wow.
I had heard those 308MX's would shoot but that's pretty amazing. Sweet pickup on that rifle. If that CZ shoots as well as 222s usually do you really did well.
That 264 with the Hicks is pretty cool.Wonder if the Hicks or something like it would work with the Weatherby's that seem to want a little pressure?

Dwh7271":1cdx58gn said:
Wow.
I had heard those 308MX's would shoot but that's pretty amazing. Sweet pickup on that rifle. If that CZ shoots as well as 222s usually do you really did well.
That 264 with the Hicks is pretty cool.Wonder if the Hicks or something like it would work with the Weatherby's that seem to want a little pressure?

If the size and shape can be changed it will work on all rifles or properly inlet this one

FOTIS":3431cw8b said:
Dwh7271":3431cw8b said:
Wow.

If the size and shape can be changed it will work on all rifles
Makes you wonder why they haven't incorporated it into a synthetic stock with a full bedding block that extends into the forearm like a B&C Medalist. (y)

Fotis - you should loan me that Marlin for about ten years or so... :mrgreen:

Measured it

Attachments

• 308 mrlx.jpg
    308 mrlx.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,257
Like the saying goes, its better to be lucky than good any day of the week.

That .308 Marlin does sound like a fun gun (basically a rimmed .300 Savage ballistically) but were it up to me I would take the .264 for speedgoats.

That's damned good groups for any gun let alone a levergun Fotis.

You know Fotis, not to be long winded here but I have only ever seen one other levergun shoot a bughole.

(To wit, it was a Savage 99C in .308 WCF shooting Remington 180 grain Corelokt SPs with a Bushnell Banner 3x4x32 scope)

I am sure there are plenty out there that can and do every day but that's very impressive.

Impressive enough to make me retract that ".264 for speedgoats" statement.

I got lucky with mine!!!

BLR 220 speer in 358 win

444 with 300 grain sierra 55.5 gr H335 2100 fps

IMG_20130905_113325_690_zps3b5c6da6.jpg

300 gr beartooth cast same load ad above

IMG_20130905_113325_690_zps3b5c6da6.jpg

265 Hornady SP

IMG_20130903_132521_270_zpsf53a1641.jpg

308 Sako Finnwolf

I'm stealing those 444 loads. :grin:
Is the Hornady 265 the same load?
You don't have an OAL on those 444s do you???? (please?)

FOTIS,
My Ruger No. 1 was real finicky too until I sanded the forearm this past winter. It used to have very bad POI shifts once the barrel heated up. Now that it is free floated, my groups are consistent. I don't have the accurizer, but I did install a metal shim between the forearm hanger and barrel.

Did you put any epoxy under the accurizer, so it beds to the forearm? I've considered doing that to mine, but it is shooting so well now I don't really want to mess with it.

The 265 grain is crimped in the middle of the cannelure. The 300's are max coal listed in any book. 2.570 I think. The 265 are loaded with h4198. 44 to 46 grains pending on rifle

Yes the forearm was inlleted for the accurizer and it was bedded. additionally it was free floated

Fotis, reminds me of my Win. model 94 in .32 special that I had mentioned previously and had found at a local gun show. The barrel was filthy but once cleaned I loaded it up with 165 grain spitzers and Leverevolution powder. Installed a lyman peep and went to work. Off bags it shot 1 1/2 inch groups. I'd love to put a scope on it for curiosity sake but would ruin the value "but" I'm happy with the way it shoots. Thanks for giving me your favorite load, works great needless to say!

Back