Hornady dies

I like 'em. :)
I also like Redding and RCBS. Can't go wrong with Hornady.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I like the seater die. I have New Dimension dies in several calibers and their seater die is all I use for rifles.
I don't much care for the sizer dies as they seem a little rougher than RCBS. But your looking at a set of dies a step up the ladder than the basic New Dimension so they should be good to go.

Their pistol dies are great. I have 4 calibers.
I have a Hornady die set in 308 win and the sizing die is unusable. Seating die though is very good. But I wouldn't buy another set.
Anymore for new caliber rifles I buy either RCBS or Redding sizing dies and the Hornady Universal Seating dies.

Partisan":35619hhb said:
I have a Hornady die set in 308 win and the sizing die is unusable. Seating die though is very good. But I wouldn't buy another set.
Anymore for new caliber rifles I buy either RCBS or Redding sizing dies and the Hornady Universal Seating dies.
Why is it unusable?

velvetant":3m36jyyc said:
Partisan":3m36jyyc said:
Why is it unusable?

Even a well lubed case requires incredible pressure to get it into the die and out. The case comes out with stretch marks in the body but will not chamber. Same cases ran through RCBS die require very little effort to size and chamber nicely.

I only have three sets of Hornady dies:

One set in .308 Win that I only use for the oldest son's .308 Browning BLR
One set in .300 WSM that has produced some rather remarkable accuracy... 1.5" groups at 300 yards from a Model 70 Win.
One set in .500 S&W, when I feel like clearing my sinuses and rattling my bone structure... :grin:

Have to say that yes, I like the Hornady dies. They're good.

I have had bad experiences with their sizing dies. They seem to pick up grit more readily than RCBS or Redding. And while I like their seating dies, they also occasionally bind when seating bullets. I was also very unimpressed with their customer service response to my email when I tried to contact them about a less than 1 year old .270 Win sizing die. When you take the time to fully describe the issues in the email, and their only response is call customer service where you are placed on hold until you give up, well let's just say I won't be buying any more Hornady dies. Anyone interested in a couple sets (6.5x55 and .270 Win) cheap?

I have an unopened set of 358 Norma Magnum dies manufactured by Hornady. I'll make a decision at some point in the future on Hornady dies. I've used them a couple of times in the past to work up loads. I was using dies supplied by customers, however. I didn't note any issues in those instances.

Back