Disappointing Range Day 270 WIN -

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
Tried some 90 BSB in front of 62 Grains of H4350 and the results were disappointing. Thanks to Lanman who graciously gave me 12 of these, I was able to try a few out. Now it makes me want to go buy a box and try to find a good load for them. My groups on my .270 started to open up with 130 Grain Ballistic Tips, so I thoroughly cleaned it and the groups returned to normal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,725
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,725
While the BSB may not be all you want, the 130 grain BTs are where you want them. That'll do for the game you'd hunt in NY.

Like I said, Todd, way distracted today. :oops: It may be Saturday, but Sunday is coming! Let's see, have you considered hunting NY recently? :grin: I might as well face it, the mind is turning to applesauce. And I thought that the knees were the first thing to go. :mrgreen:

Moi! A good sport? Oh, if only you could see the tears. Seriously, I was doing two responses simultaneously, and you were moved to NY. I know, a real slam. However, you should see how overjoyed those in NY are at being moved out west. :mrgreen:

Maybe try something faster in powder Todd they are thick based and may need a kick in the pants.

SJB358":3itydwuj said:
Maybe try something faster in powder Todd they are thick based and may need a kick in the pants.

I have 4007ssc and 3031. Would you recommend these or something else?

Either should work decent with the 90's. I don't have QL to run them right now though.

tecumseh":1yrg13vl said:
The load with the BT looks good to go.

It usually shoots between 1/2" and 3/4" but just shot a three shot group with it yesterday and it was 2" which was a first. I am the first owner, broke the barrel in right and it has 100 or so rounds through it. Made me scratch my head, maybe the shooter had an off day! Oh well. Total confidence buster though!

Palouser":3w099fw8 said:
tecumseh":3w099fw8 said:
The load with the BT looks good to go.

It usually shoots between 1/2" and 3/4" but just shot a three shot group with it yesterday and it was 2" which was a first. I am the first owner, broke the barrel in right and it has 100 or so rounds through it. Made me scratch my head, maybe the shooter had an off day! Oh well. Total confidence buster though!

I changed the COAL from 3.36" to 3.34" but I can't imagine it would have affected the groups that much.

I have witnessed some pretty dramatic changes in accuracy with some surprisingly small changes in seating depth. It is possible that you have a lot of bullets that has been changed up on you, as well. That has happened on a few occasions.

DrMike":14qefgbu said:
I have witnessed some pretty dramatic changes in accuracy with some surprisingly small changes in seating depth. It is possible that you have a lot of bullets that has been changed up on you, as well. That has happened on a few occasions.

Now that you mention it, I think I ran out of one box and opened another that was manufactured a couple of years later. I'll have to check. 3.34" is 0.40" off the lands, I started at 0.020", I'll try going back and maybe a group at 0.010" to see what that does.
Thanks for the input!
Todd

DrMike":3o5mt3ru said:

Seen it enough to frustrate me as well.

SJB358":1q5x0plj said:
DrMike":1q5x0plj said:

The depth change or the lot change on bullets?

Palouser":2a8y3jt4 said:
SJB358":2a8y3jt4 said:
DrMike":2a8y3jt4 said:

The depth change or the lot change on bullets?

A different lot of bullets.

I witnessed and verified changes of accuracy going from >MOA to 0.1MOA with 0.005 inches of change. Obviously, with that sort of sensitivity, it would be impossible to use. I notified the customer in that particular instance, but strongly recommended that we keep looking for a load that would be easier for him to duplicate. It was surely dramatic, and it was reproducible. Again, I've witnessed some pretty dramatic changes in "go to" loads for my own rifles when changing lots of bullets. For that reason, I am compelled to verify each time I change lots of the several components.

Back