Brandy Goes to the Range

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
So I'd popped my oldest scope, a 3-9x Leupold I got in 1974, onto the "new" twenty year old Ruger Number One. Hadn't been able to get any loading accomplished for her, but I grabbed a box of plain-Jane 140 gr Remington CL ammo. Took the rifle to the range today and sighted her in with no problems.

In short order she'd produced a group of a tad under 2" at 200 yards, rested off my backpack. Velocity was a bit less than I'd hoped for at 3145 fps, but the accuracy was good. No problem hitting the 300 yard gong.

xHd7W7dh.jpg

6Y4QkOQh.jpg

pKj5aekh.jpg

I am very satisfied. With no work at all I'm seeing MOA groups, fired from my backpack. The rifle is perfectly zeroed at 200 yards, and it's easy to hit at 300 yards. She feels good in my shoulder. The 7mm Rem Mag is no big deal in the recoil department.

Yup, feeling really good about this combo!

Yes, I'll be doing some handloading, but it was good to see what plain vanilla factory ammo does too.

Regards, Guy

Good enough for most anything you'd want to hunt. Excellent results, Guy.

Good starting point Guy. It will only get better.
Load development should be quick and easy so you
will be ready for spring bear season. The 160 gr PT will
be perfect bear medicine.

JD338

JD338":2att7dfq said:
Good starting point Guy. It will only get better.
Load development should be quick and easy so you
will be ready for spring bear season. The 160 gr PT will
be perfect bear medicine.

JD338

I'll have to check into that bear season JD. Our fall bear tags are OTC, but there's a draw for spring bear and it's usually only for a few game units, hours from my home. I've got a point or two in the system from applying several years ago though. Hmmm. In other words, it's not likely I'll be bear hunting here this spring! But it sure sounds like a good idea. :grin:

Agree, of the bullets I have on hand, the 160 Nosler Partition seems to be perhaps the best "all around" choice.

Am curious about the old 175 Nosler Partitions I'm going to pull from my 20 year old loaded ammo though... They should shoot well from this rifle, like they did from my old Remington 700. Once I pull the bullets from my old ammo I will have:

175 Nosler Partitions
175 Sierra SPBT Gamekings
160 Nosler Partitions
160 Sierra SPBT Gamekings
140 Nosler Accubonds

I think that's it. Not bad, since only the 140 Accubonds were purchased recently. :grin:

Guy

Once you go Number 1 you never go back! They are such classy looking rifles that carry really nicely and are fun to shoot, accurate, and don't hinder a guy hunting at all!

gotta love the #1's

Brandy for the 7mm what is the 375 OUCH & OUCH's handle?

Its beautiful guy, it looks brand new. Your getting excellent accuracy with the factory ammo, it will be interesting to see if you can get much better. I have big variety of 7mm bullets, under 175 gr. if you want to try something different let me know.

FOTIS":1kdd3i2j said:
gotta love the #1's

Brandy for the 7mm what is the 375 OUCH & OUCH's handle?

The 375 has just been "Dad's bear rifle." :grin:

I've done a little handloading for Brandy now, some 140 Accubonds over Reloader 22. Hope to get out to the range soon. Right now we're doing a LOT of work at the range. An excavator, and a couple of cats working. We're building a new range for law enforcement training on the gun club, so most of the club has been shut down for the past two weeks.

I've got the 140 Accubonds, as well as 160 Sierra Game Kings and 160 Nosler Partitions. Also have some 175 Nosler Partitions that I'm going to pull from ammo I loaded long ago. There's a box of 150 gr Barnes X bullets too. More than enough different bullets to mess with for now.

Guy

Looks great Guy. The 7 Rem is a cartridge that always seems like it wants to please! I am betting 22/140 Accubonds will work well and probably be about all you could want. You've got a pile of great bullets, be hard to pick one but nothing will do much better than the 140 you're using.

Oh, maybe a jug test of the 140 Core Lokt? Be interesting to see how it holds up at those speeds.

Not a bad idea. Been a while since I did a jug test. I think I've got three or four here now, not nearly enough for a hunting rifle bullet test though. I'll save up a few more.

Guy

Back