8mm Rem Mag Load and Ranger report #3

7828 is a good powder in everything from a .264wm to a .340 Weatherby on belted magnum cases. The short cut version is much nicer to load too.

IdahoCTD":2xj7bz3e said:
7828 is a good powder in everything from a .264wm to a .340 Weatherby on belted magnum cases. The short cut version is much nicer to load too.

Yes, the short cut is nice but I like the regular long cut for my 8mm Rem Mag beause I like compressed charges and also in my 340Wby the same. Now in my 300Win Mag I like the short cut, but these are just my load quirks and what I find myself comfortable with and have found that works so well for me.

After all these years of loading and experiencing through experiment with so many different powders and learning their tendencies, I find it much easier to get to a specific load for my rifles than when I was young. I don't waste near as much powder, time or money and when Q/L came along I was able to use what I had learned in combination with Q/L and it has really paid off.

Mike that is some fine shooting!

I really like your computer prgram that you are suing as well, what is it?

Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph with Competition Electronics Digital USB Interface , hooks up to my laptop

852429.jpg

refdp_image_0.jpg

b258d138.jpg

At over 3000fps with a 220gr bullet, I can with the Sierra take anything from mice to moose and when hunting dangerous game I will use the 220gr A-Frame which I will test down the road. To be brief, this 8mm Rem Mag turned out to be much more than I expected and if I get the 250gr bullet with good accuracy up around or just over 2800fps then that is just iceing on the cake giving me great latitude with this rifle and cartridge on big game.

OU812":1uocjv4x said:
Mike have you tried slowing the AccuBond or Partition down some to see if accuracy comes around?

Bill

Bill, I appreciate the impute you have contributed throughout my threads on reloading and also the brass you sold me, and your effort now to help me have a good 200gr load. But I have not yet tried to look for accuracy at velocities under 3100fps and really don't want to. I will try other powders, but I do not want to slow it down, that is why I have a magnum, to get not only accuracy but also velocity. If I slow it down I would have nothing more than a lesser cartridge. I did not shoot a 300Wby to have 30-06 velocities, nor am I willing to slow down a 200gr bullet in my 8mm Rem Mag to end up with a lesser cartridges' ability. Plus, the 220gr bullets give me great ballistics at 3018fps that would require me to push a 200gr bullet at over 3120 - 3150fps to have comparable energy way down range. If I have a magnum, I want what the magnum can do on its top end (not over max) or I would just as well settle for a lesser cartridge that I was able to get it to work at it's top end.

I do not believe in over kill and in fact with the 220gr Sierra my bullet even at 25yds will exit deer, hogs, black bear and still devastate any game from deer to elk out to 600yds. So, no, I just cannot nor will I slow down the 200gr bullets. The 200gr TSX which will be later this fall in testing - I will require it to at least give me 3130fps so as to help it open up further down range in a consistent way. Bill, folks don't have to agree with my direction and opinions on this matter, because I load and hunt for me not for what others might think (no reflection on you wanting to help out). My experience with the other magnums I have owned and taken game with in the field, tells me I need to pursue the direction and path I am taking.

If I get those 250gr bullets around or just above 2800fps with under and inch accuracy, which I believe after my initial test with the 250gr Barnes Original (and I believe I can), that will give me a very versatile Big 8 indeed. So, what I have come to realize is that I don't need the 200gr bullets, they will just be icing on the cake when I do get a 200gr bullet working and I will. It will just take a little more time. :mrgreen:

Mike I don't think anyone is questioning your path of choice, certainly not me as I really don't care what bullet you choose to hunt with as it's your hunt and your choice. I just asked a simple logical question as it would seem to me one might wonder if it's the speed at which the bullets are going that are causing the inaccuracy or does the gun really not like the bullets. One would not know unless one tried a slower speed.

Bill

OU812":tqylmvr1 said:
Mike I don't think anyone is questioning your path of choice, certainly not me as I really don't care what bullet you choose to hunt with as it's your hunt and your choice. I just asked a simple logical question as it would seem to me one might wonder if it's the speed at which the bullets are going that are causing the inaccuracy or does the gun really not like the bullets. One would not know unless one tried a slower speed.

Bill

Hey Bill, I knew what you were trying to say and get across and I for one appreciate you taking the time to prick my thinking. If I slow it down and the AccuBond or Partition become acceptable in accuracy it still will not be a satisfying experience for me other than the fact that my rifle might like 200gr bullets. If I slow them down and they are still not accurate, it only proves for the time being that my rifle does not like the 200gr AccuBond and Partition. I am left with trying other 200gr bullets including the 195gr Hornady interlock to really know if my rifle does or does not like 200gr bullet or if it only likes some 200gr bullets. I don't want to waste the powder on the AccuBond or Partition trying to find a slower accurate round when the 220gr does so well.

Plus, this will take some time on the other bullets I want to try as I figure out more and more the dislikes of my rifle and the 8mm Rem Mag. Who knows what surprise is in this rifle's future when it comes to accuracy and velocities. As I take my time and don't rush this matter I will even try the 180gr TSX to see how it does. Once again, my earlier post was not directed at you but was directed in general so folks could get a feel for where I thought I needed to go. Your comments in earlier threads caused me to even look at the Partition and they have also challenged me to look at other 200gr and even the 180gr TSX as I slowly work through all of this.

Of course as it stands I have a hunting bullet I can rely on this fall while I methodically work through all this while saving the throat of my rifle. :)

Mike I did not take it that the comments were aimed at me :grin: . Mike you do indeed have an excellent load in the 220 sierra and one might be hard pressed to want to look farther other than out of curiosity. I think the 220 with it's BC will do all you could ever want it to do. And like you said, you would have to run a 200 with a lower BC at 3120 or better to equal the down range energy of the 220.

Bill

OU812":1yrwyybm said:
Mike I did not take it that the comments were aimed at me :grin: . Mike you do indeed have an excellent load in the 220 sierra and one might be hard pressed to want to look farther other than out of curiosity. I think the 220 with it's BC will do all you could ever want it to do. And like you said, you would have to run a 200 with a lower BC at 3120 or better to equal the down range energy of the 220.

Bill

Well I am indeed curious and that will by nature be my driving force to continue to try other 200gr and lighter bullets just to see. With such a fine load in the 220gr and the 250gr bullets showing great promise I don't have to rush my load discovery with 200gr or lighter bullets. I don't have to settle for mediocrity in a load that could cost me in the field, especially on long shots.

Yep. IMO once a trusted hunting load is found the rest is easy money cause the pressure is off.

Bill

OU812":xgzqqb06 said:
Yep. IMO once a trusted hunting load is found the rest is easy money cause the pressure is off.

Bill

AMEN!!! :mrgreen:

Today I decided to test my extended load work with my hunting load for my 8mm Rem mag and also looking for better velocities for my 250gr Barnes Original. My average today with the 220gr Sierra was 3003fps and this is due to me using after I full sized my brass an expander mandrel expanding the diamater of the neck .002 and then using the regular mandrel for my Sinclair neck turner. This reduced the neck tension which also reduced my pressures and velocities from 3018fps on average to 3003fps but group is much tighter. Was able to get the 250gr Barnes Original to 2749fps and what was amazing today was all three of the rounds were 2749fps.

file_zpsd88e69f8.jpg

file_zps77012f21.jpg

file_zps855d0ee8.jpg

file_zps25b5fb45.jpg

This rifle is ready for hunting but I will be going up one more grain with the 250gr Barnes Originals and a tad more tweaking on the OAl of the 220gr Sierra.

Remington 700BDL 8mm Rem mag, Leupold FX 6x36mm LR Duplex.
e7d7212c.jpg

That is pretty powerful stuff Mike. That 8RM is a beast. 2750 with the 250's is impressive. That is solid 338 territory.

I actually believe I will get the 250gr Barnes Original up close to 2800fps because I am getting close to near max but not there yet. :mrgreen:

Back