8mm Rem Mag Load and Ranger report #3

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Well, I did some more range work with my 8mm Rem Mag and I have discovered that my rifle does not like 200gr Accubonds or Partitions, but does like 220gr Sierra and 250gr Barnes Originals.

First: The 200gr Accubonds will give me 3154fps and the Partitions will give me 3137fps. These are awesome velocities but accuracy is not acceptable to me running 1 ¾” at best to 3 ¼” for most groups.

a3860c81.jpg

Second: The 220gr Sierra SBT gave me last time I was at the range working with this bullet 3016fps on the average. This time 3018fps on the average with 21 Extreme Spread and 9 Deviation and a three shot group size of .487” – This was the seventh and last group I fired and still had this level of accuracy after all that recoil. The first group I fried was after one fouling round from a clean barrel and it was a three shot group that was .849” and it had an Extreme Spread of 20 and a Deviation of 9 giving me 3017fps.

Three shot group .487", 220gr Sierra SBT, 3018fps average
0e9bef3f.jpg

Three shot group .849", 220gr Sierra SBT, 3017fps
ae3530b1.jpg

Third: There were the two groups I fired using the 250gr Barnes and was 5% with below published max with one group and 4% below max with the other group, giving me from 2701 – 2720fps as I was testing in the margin of safety to make sure I did not get close to max pressures with this very soft bullet. Of course I will now increase my charges moving toward max hoping to be over 2750 – 2800fps with an accurate load. Group sizes were as follows as I increased the powder charge from 5% to 4% below max. Best group was .447” with Extreme Spread of 22 and Deviation of 11, and worst group was .8485” with Extreme Spread of 22 and Deviation of 11.

Three shot group .447", 250gr Barnes Original 2720fps
41a92c03.jpg

Three shot group .8485" , 250gr Barnes Original 2701fps
05ae68d4.jpg

Mike you bought a gem! Great shooting there!

By golly Mike I think that you have that rifle tuned to the nines :wink:
I do believe that this fall there are going to be some trophies taken, remember lots of photos and stories :)

Blessings,
Dan

Great shooting. 2700 with a 250 is big medicine Mike. That is 338WM territory..

Nothing wrong with using the 220's or 250's. That accuracy and energy will get things done a ways out there. Good shooting.

Bill

SJB358":2ebujrbd said:
Great shooting. 2700 with a 250 is big medicine Mike. That is 338WM territory..

Scotty, I will be up around 2800fps next time out. I had absolutely no pressure signs at all. Can't wait, but will have to for a week or so. :mrgreen:

FOTIS":2257a6b1 said:
Mike you bought a gem! Great shooting there!

Yes, I love getting rifles to shoot. :) Finding their loads, likes and dislikes. This is no kitty cat, this is a Lion :mrgreen:

sask boy":yazkk6i9 said:
By golly Mike I think that you have that rifle tuned to the nines :wink:
I do believe that this fall there are going to be some trophies taken, remember lots of photos and stories :)

Blessings,
Dan

Yes, I am looking forward to this hunting season, just to see this thing in action. :mrgreen:

OU812":1e6bqka5 said:
Nothing wrong with using the 220's or 250's. That accuracy and energy will get things done a ways out there. Good shooting.

Bill

Yep, going to send those heavy boys down range during hunting.

boomer68":1oxw133v said:
So, are you going to stick with them Sierras? :)

Ok, lets me make somethings clear. Yes, I am going to use the Sierras for my deer, hog and long range loads and also for black bear in Arizona, the 220gr Seirra will devastate these animals and put them right down in thier tracks. I am also going to use the Barnes and Hawk 250gr for my heavy game especially on shorter shots. I will also continue to use other powders and seating depths to try from time to time to find the right load chain for the 200gr AccuBond and 200gr Patition. I do not want nor will try at this time the Barnes TTSX or TSX, I don't need them. By the time I am finished I will have five specific loads and I can be very game specific although any one of the above bullets outside of shooting a big brown up close (would use the Barnes Original or Hawk 250 for that hunt) will do the job on anything it hits. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Now that is my plan, my theory and the direction I will be taking in light of all the years I have been doing this especailly hunting. :grin:

I wouldn't be afraid to use the Sierra's either. I've shot a lot of critters with a 250gr .375 Sierra and none of them went more than 20yds when hit in the vitals. Close range they are like a Berger or Ballistic Tip but it still kills stuff.

Bullet,
Buddy those test results are very revealing. At this juncture I'd say anything from 220-250 you put out the tube is going to surely die with the Big-8. :mrgreen: Nice shooting on your part as getting beat around and still getting very nice groups is very rewarding. Keep up the good work. :wink:

Don

Thanks guys, this sure is a fun rifle and I am still impressed when the bullet hits the dirt bank and the report of its impact that I get back just makes me want to go hunting. :mrgreen:

The 220 grain Sierras will work just fine at those velocities. They will hit hard and put game down with authority.

My friend's father's best friend (still with me? :) ) has used the 250 SGK from his 338WM for as long as I can remember and he has slain a pile of elk without a complaint. They are a stout C&C bullet in the larger calibers. This year I hopefully get to witness their effectiveness.

I think you have a winning combo here Mike with those 220's. No surprises that the Sierras shot well. They just make bullets that seem to work well in almost every rifle.

Nice shooting and load development.

Was the Sierra load using 86grs of RL25? And is the OAL 3.600"? Darn fine ES and SD.

boomer68":2ght804y said:
Was the Sierra load using 86grs of RL25? And is the OAL 3.600"? Darn fine ES and SD.

No, I was using 83grs of IMR7828 also IMR7828 for the 250gr Barnes Original OAL foe the 220gr is 3.595" and for the 250gr OAL is 3.600"

Back