7mm Junkie

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
Cleaned out the reloading junk drawer over the weekend. Found some odds and ends of previous rifles I have owned. Put a few mock-ups together using old retired brass.

20170402_110544.jpg

From the left.

7-08. Had one for a brief period of time. Not a stellar varmint nor a long range big game cartridge. Fun to shoot so I miss the rifle quite a bit. My wife will have one for deer hunting sometime this year. She doesn't know it yet.

7 WSM. Another one I had briefly. Didn't seem to do much more than my 7 RM. Miss it now because it was a lightweight rifle. Replaced with a 270 WSM for some variety.

280 Rem- I know an example is missing, couldn't find a random piece of brass laying around. Didn't like the rifle and don't miss it.

7 Rem Mag- This has been my go to deer round forever. Will never part with it.

7-300 Win Mag- Might be the perfect 7mm? What the 7 Rem Mag should have been? Runs 180gn bullets at 3000fps easily. In a 26 inch barrel, my accuracy load matches the STW. Top speed less than STW by 100fps. Fits easily in standard mag boxes.

7 STW- Thoroughly enjoy this round. A little more than what I need?

7 RUM- Wow factor for about 20 rounds. I felt like I was going to toast the barrel during load development. Had a friend that really wanted it so I sold it to him. Remington should focus back on the STW!

Even though I know I've missed a good 7 or so, I suppose for the next 10 year of my life I should focus on 308s...

ksubuck":3i1rgi3s said:
Cleaned out the reloading junk drawer over the weekend. Found some odds and ends of previous rifles I have owned. Put a few mock-ups together using old retired brass.

From the left.

7-08. Had one for a brief period of time. Not a stellar varmint nor a long range big game cartridge. Fun to shoot so I miss the rifle quite a bit. My wife will have one for deer hunting sometime this year. She doesn't know it yet.

7 WSM. Another one I had briefly. Didn't seem to do much more than my 7 RM. Miss it now because it was a lightweight rifle. Replaced with a 270 WSM for some variety.

280 Rem- I know an example is missing, couldn't find a random piece of brass laying around. Didn't like the rifle and don't miss it.

7 Rem Mag- This has been my go to deer round forever. Will never part with it.

7-300 Win Mag- Might be the perfect 7mm? What the 7 Rem Mag should have been? Runs 180gn bullets at 3000fps easily. In a 26 inch barrel, my accuracy load matches the STW. Top speed less than STW by 100fps. Fits easily in standard mag boxes.

7 STW- Thoroughly enjoy this round. A little more than what I need?

7 RUM- Wow factor for about 20 rounds. I felt like I was going to toast the barrel during load development. Had a friend that really wanted it so I sold it to him. Remington should focus back on the STW!

Even though I know I've missed a good 7 or so, I suppose for the next 10 year of my life I should focus on 308s...

I've got a bunch of the same. Can't beat a good 7mm in my opinion. Still covers everything I'll ever hunt with ease.

I'll agree about that 7-300 Win... my Mashburn is just about the same.

I've had a 7mm Rem Mag for about 10 years now. It's about as much rifle as I really want to shoot at 155lbs. I recently picked up a 7mm-08 after shooting it's little brother (.243) for several years. I love them both and could never choose, but as of right now I think the 7mm-08 Has the edge for 90% of hunting I've encountered. Love 7mm as well...6mm isn't to far off!

I have more 7 mm bullets of any caliber, and have hunted far less with the 7 mm than with the .308's, however I still own three. A great caliber and great cartridges. Hope/will kill an elk with one of them this fall.

I think you need to pick up a 7x57, if for no other reason then to add it to your list....

lefty I sold my last 7 by, a few years ago.I still have two 7 mags, and a 280 Remington.

I like when the old man gives up the little 7's...

Although he did pick up another last Fall...

I had used two 7mm's, one is a 7mm Magnum I still have since 1994, its the Sako M995 and on my 3rd Bartlien barrel out of it and still ticking. Currently using the 168 VLD at 3,050 fps over RL 25. The other 7mm is the STW with 3 barrels that I just converted to .300 Win Mag recently due to shortage of good brass. I missed that caliber. It was my go to hunting rifle mostly, ran the 140 AccuBond at 3,460 fps with RL 25 and the Swift 150 Scirroco at 3,350 fps. I have harvested 4 bull nilgai, up to 700 lbs, and lost count of how many deer and hogs I downed with it. It would enter and exit a nilgai broadside with a Scirroco easily, they would run about 75 - 100 yards at least. One bull nilgai dropped right there with a shot to the throat while looking at me from 200 yards in heavy brush. Great 7mm's to shoot with and shoots flat also. Currently for the last few years, my 7 Mag was my primary hunting rifle, have been using 140 Accubonds, as of now I am experimenting the 168 VLD on game, just shot one buck last season through the back of the neck while eating because it would never turn broadside. (y)

Lefty, I suppose I will have to pick up a 7x57 someday. That and a 28 Nosler if/when the STW needs a new barrel.

TD, I tried the 168 VLDs in my 7 Rem but it didn't like them. The throat is getting long and I couldn't seem to find a magic seating depth. The rifle still shoots 140 Accubonds very well and might get to go on a deer hunt this year.

Back