7mm-08 pet loads

Sas,

We are all proud of our accomplishments that show the work we put in, paid off..... for us.

Your rifle is 'Your Rifle, and a personality all of it's own'. Not mine, not his, nor theirs. It will shoot what it wants to shoot, and You can not dictate what that is no further than you can throw a brick Sh!thouse

From 'My' rifles demands, it's either Varget, or RL-15, depending on bullet weight. YMMV.

You may not get your 'dream' grouping from either of these powders, but I'd bet a paycheck that with a bit of trying you'll get close enough to not have a viable excuse to Not go hunting......

Gunner46":qjbk9inj said:
Sas,

We are all proud of our accomplishments that show the work we put in, paid off..... for us.

Your rifle is 'Your Rifle, and a personality all of it's own'. Not mine, not his, nor theirs. It will shoot what it wants to shoot, and You can not dictate what that is no further than you can throw a brick Sh!thouse

From 'My' rifles demands, it's either Varget, or RL-15, depending on bullet weight. YMMV.

You may not get your 'dream' grouping from either of these powders, but I'd bet a paycheck that with a bit of trying you'll get close enough to not have a viable excuse to Not go hunting......

Valid point. Be advised the above loads shoot sub-MOA in 3 different T3 rifles.

P

I'm going to start working on a 7mm-08 load myself. I'm going with 120ttsx, prvi brass, 9 1/2m primer and I've got Varget, RL16 and IMR3031 to try for powders. I chose to try RL16 vs RL17. Hey, looks good? Lol

Of course each rifle is different. Being new to this cartridge and this type of cartridge I was curious as to what others had used for it. As for bullets I prefer AccuBond. Always have. In fact now that I think of it all my loads have AccuBond in them

Of course each rifle is different. Being new to this cartridge and this type of cartridge I was curious as to what others had used for it. As for bullets I prefer AccuBond. Always have. In fact now that I think of it all my loads have AccuBond in them

Sas874runner":3v28yckw said:

The big bull in my middle pic was an AccuBond. Last year, my dad's biggest bull to date. The other two are mine, Partitions.

The thing about loading for a Tikka is that you're constrained by magazine length. The longest I could go with reliable feeding is 2.835", so I didn't get to experiment much. I didn't need to, though.

I'll bet the beer money you'll find accuracy with the same load I use.

P

the T-3's all use the same action length . so if you are shooting a short acton and need more magazine length you can buy a long action magazine and also swap the short action bolt stop out with a long action bolt stop . now you have a short action cartridge feeding from a long action . this should solve the lack of magazine length .

My Wife shoots a Savage 7mm-08. Here are three loads that have worked very well for us on paper. The 120 gr. NBT load shoots 1/2" at 100. That is our deer load of choice. Hoping to get her out hunting next year for deer.

Good luck with your new rifle!

029278ff35e9b2293b9f9a92bfbc3de8.jpg

9a9121d05600b56b59065f7f4d60fc0f.jpg

jimbires":1ivy4sro said:
the T-3's all use the same action length . so if you are shooting a short acton and need more magazine length you can buy a long action magazine and also swap the short action bolt stop out with a long action bolt stop . now you have a short action cartridge feeding from a long action . this should solve the lack of magazine length .

I have a bolt stop kit. Hasn't been an issue.

IME Tikkas shoot just about everything well.

P

Silentstalker, 44.5gr of Varget with a 140gr bullet is an awfully stout load? I'm over book max with many loads, just don't want someone to see that, assume that's a good load and jump right to it.

Yeah, 44.5gr of Varget is getting into the 69K psi range, from the QL data I have. 42.5gr is hovering right around 60K.

Yeah its rocking, I did not realize it was that high. I will pull that pic so its not shown. I worked up to it and actually don't use that load currently. We are loaded up with the 120 gr. NBT and the 139 gr. IB.

I appreciate the heads up and will reevaluate that load.

I've got a couple of 7-08's and these work well in both:

140 AccuBond- 42g Varget, OAL 2.803
45g IMR 4350, OAL 2.803
47g Big Game, OAL 2.803
140 Partition-- 42g RL15, OAL 2.803
120 BT- 45g Varget, OAL 2.803

Take a peek at the bullet test section of the forum and there is more information than you can absorb in a day. My personal favorite load is 150 gr AccuBond long range with rl17. I confess tho that my 11 year old daughter is shooting that rifle this year with federal fusion 120 grainfactory ammo extremely well and never complains about the recoil. The rifle has a brake since I bought it as a " girl gun" so that makes a difference too. That gun is a real family favorite

Back