7mag-175 Nosler LRAB hunting

sendero72

Beginner
Oct 31, 2012
Has anyone used the 175 gr LRAB in the 7mag for hunting whitetails and with what kind of results?

sendero72

I don't have any 175's, but I did shoot a small buck on Dec 26th with a 7 mag and the 168 AccuBond LR. Shot was about 200 yds give or take a little. Buck was dead right there on a double lung shot. Lots of internal damage. Overall I was very happy. I would think the 175 would perform similarly.

JohnB

Haven't used it, no.

A 175 gr 7mm pill is a LOT of bullet for whitetail. I tend to think of the 175's as perfection for elk. At least the good old 175 gr Nosler Partition is.

Come to think of it though, why not? The LRAB is built to expand readily, at low or high velocity. Hmmm... Why not? One load, essentially all game, big or small, close or far. Not bad...

Regards, Guy

I have not used the 7mm 175 gr ABLR but I have used the 150 gr ABLR out
of my 280 AI at 3100 fps and it kills wt deer like lighting.

Are you wanting the 175 gr for the BC?
The 168 gr should also work well for you.

Those long sleek bullets sure are impressive.

JD338

When I had a 7mm Mag some years ago I shot 154 Hornady Bullets it killed Deer like Lightning I believe the load was going 3,030 fps. could drive tacks with that load too.

7- mag is a great cartridge!!

Don

Considering that these bullets will expand down to 1300 fps, the 175 gr can be launched at 3000 fps, that's means it has extreme long range potential for whitetails in the southeast where I hunt. The deer aren't large, say 150-180 lbs, so the 175 lrab should reach out to 1200 yds with ease. All depends on the accuracy to the bullet. Currently shooting the 162 amax which will hold .5 MOA at 1100 yds. Has anyone tested the LRAB's past 1000 yds?

muleman,

Couldn't get the link to open. Tried their search engine, but no good either.

Thanks Muleman, the link worked fine. I have yet to see the 168's on the shelf, but the 175's are not that hard to find. Very few long range hunters in my neck of the woods so they generally stick to the 150's or less in the 7mag. I feel that the 175 will buck the breeze and really pound a whitetail across those soybean fields. Thanks again for the link.

Jim

I've had some 175 LRAB on backorder with Cabela's for a month, they emailed me today and said it will be the end of Jan before they're in. Cabela's only listed 175gr LRAB for sale at the time. I see now they only list the 150gr, but "in stock"! I'm wondering if I should just cancel the 175gr and go for the 150 gr... was thinking the 175 would be a good elk load. Wow that's a lot of bullet for a white tail!

Do you shoot at that 1000yd+ range sendero? Sounds interesting, and I wouldn't have thought you'd find such shots in the SouthEast.

I think the 175 gr ABLR will open up just fine on a WT deer. Go for the shoulders to
ensure expansion.FWIW, I have used the 300 gr AB out of the 338 RUM on crop
damage deer and had plenty of expansion on 140-150# does.

JD338

PipesMac
Yes, we practise from 800 to 1100 all the time. Not many fields that offer that kind of range, but when you approach a farmer that has a long field, generally it peaks their interest that anyone can shoot that far. Plus they have never seen a long range rifle either. Our field was washed out by the floods for 2013, so looking forward to 2014. Met a farmer with a field that will push the 1350 yd mark, so we'll practise at the end of the month thur April and shoot depredation May-June. The 175gr, if accurate in my rifle, will reach close to 1500 yds. Depredation is does only, so you are talking 70-100 lbs, but a smaller target. We'll see how it goes.

Jim

sendero72":2tgo4byc said:
PipesMac
Yes, we practise from 800 to 1100 all the time. Not many fields that offer that kind of range, but when you approach a farmer that has a long field, generally it peaks their interest that anyone can shoot that far. Plus they have never seen a long range rifle either. Our field was washed out by the floods for 2013, so looking forward to 2014. Met a farmer with a field that will push the 1350 yd mark, so we'll practise at the end of the month thur April and shoot depredation May-June. The 175gr, if accurate in my rifle, will reach close to 1500 yds. Depredation is does only, so you are talking 70-100 lbs, but a smaller target. We'll see how it goes.

Jim

Very nice Jim!
We can only get out to 870 yards.

JD338

Can anyone post the surfacing bearing length of the 168 and the 175 lrabs. Or maybe that of the 168 Berger vs 168 LRAB. With all things being equal, the bullet with the shortest surface bearing should have a higher MV ??

I tried these for the first time on Saturday. I loaded them with both Retumbo and IMR 7828ssc from my 7 mm rem mag. Both showed promise. Particularly the 7828 loads. I'm going to load some more up and shoot them over the chrony next. Sexy looking round for sure though.

Back