7 MM (.284) PRACTICAL

Rem Jim

Handloader
Jan 7, 2012
Who has a rifle chambered in this WILDCAT cartridge or Who knows a lot about IT - i am thinking of rebarreling a M700 & have it chambered in this Cartridge ! anyone with Pros & Cons - ? Don't need the this is better then that stuff :lol: just info on this cartridge ! I already have a 7MM -300 Bee 8) & a 7 MM STW 8) & a Reg 7 MM Rem Mag so i m knowledgable about the 7mm (.284) calibers. :grin: JUST want info from GUYS on this CARTRIDGE only ! Thanks

Cheers :) RJ

Oh man, that would be a good one. Just under a STW.
The 168 gr ABLR would be a hammer.

JD338

Another guy just built a 7mm Valkyre with a 37 degree shoulder and .010 less taper. He gets about 50fps more than a 7-300wm or knocking on a 7STW.

I really wanted to bud a practical last year but ran out of funds and shot the donor, DOH!
What I liked about it was ease of finding components, easy of forming brass , that the neck sizing stretches case necks slightly addressing some of the so called 300 win problems. Not really a barrel burner but a step up from a regular 7 mm Rm.
There is a host of them 7mm Mashburn seems to be gaing steam again( based off the 300 h&h) . The Valkyrie as mentioned similar to the practical.
Some similar designs based off the 300 Bee, gaining in case capacity and about equal to the stw.
Lots to choose from .

I'm using RWS brass in my 7-300wm and 6.5-300wm and it seems to stretch much less than other brass but it would be nice to have a sharper 35 degree shoulder to limit brass flow. An extra 50fps would be cool too but I already have dies and reamers for those two so I put up with trimming every so often.

IdahoCTD":35x9a1wq said:
I'm using RWS brass in my 7-300wm and 6.5-300wm and it seems to stretch much less than other brass but it would be nice to have a sharper 35 degree shoulder to limit brass flow. An extra 50fps would be cool too but I already have dies and reamers for those two so I put up with trimming every so often.

Hi - Hey Buddy - what velocity are you getting out of that 7-300 wm with what bullet and load please ? Thks
Cheers :) RJ

Jim,

The first load I tried was 73grs of H-1000 with a 162gr Amax and it ran 3180fps into 3/8" for 3 shots. I had some feeding issues with the chamber so I hardly shot it. Originally I chambered it using my 6.5-300wm reamer plus a neck and throating reamer in 7mm. I talked to Dave at PTG and he said you need to polish the neck shoulder junction because it lacks the radius of a one piece reamer. I did that and still no bueno. So I ordered a new one piece reamer and set it back one turn. It feeds my shells fine now but I have yet to shoot it again. I throated it for the 162/168 bullets so they would fit through a factory magazine length with the correct seating depth. I might try R-33 as some are getting good results using 180gr bullets with it but that powder seems to like the heaviest bullets. There is very little difference between the 180's and 162/168's ballistically so I chose the lighter weight bullets for less recoil in a lighter weight hunting rifle. 3180fps might be all I can get out of RWS brass and I'm good with that. 50 pieces of RWS brass will probably outlast the barrel even if I have to give up 50fps.

Back