257 weatherby

Nathan, thank you

69gto. I shot a 270 V ULW and a 257 V sporter, I liked the sporter but not the ulw. I think I would prefer to reduce weight, in the stock, not the barrel, which should happen automatically, since the stock will be made to fit me. I did not feel the 270 had good balance to it or at least not the type of balance I am use to.

I must be honest here and tell you that after shooting ULW, I am not looking-specifically- for a way to reduce the weight of the rifle

thank you

Brooke

Brooke,

My Mark V ULW has a muzzle brake on it (Accubrake) and is extremely comfortable to shoot - as long as you have hearing protection.

Brooke, you are right about the barrel weight, the fluted #1 and #2 barrels are too light up front . I hang a 1.5lb. bipod on my 6.5lb. markv .270 win. to help the balance. Also the barrel jump on recoil is extreme, in 60 years of shooting I have scoped my self 5 times, three with this rifle as the stock will some times slip under my shoulder when shooting prone.

Agree. I've shot some very light weight rifles, and have not been favorably impressed. Not that the rifles weren't delightful to carry. And they were well made. But...

I prefer to shoot a "standard" weight hunting rifle. My pair of Rem 700 CDL's in .25-06 and .30-06 are about as light as I care to go.

Now - if we can get ol' Fourtyonesix to chime in here... He's got an extraordinarily light weight BIG BORE rifle... And I suspect Jake shoots it well.

Regards, Guy

I agree that it's always a balance between what you willing to carry and what you're willing to shoot. In my mis-spent youth I'd tote a 10 pound rifle all day and didn't think anything about it. There really wasn't much available that was lighter and I knew once I leveled it on a critter, it was all over but pulling the trigger.

Now I wouldn't dream of toting one that heavy. I have shot some of the newer lightweight stuff and there is a point of diminishing return. A 6 pound rifle is a joy to carry but shooting it well takes more focus than I've got after pounding up hill chasing something. Something between 7.5 and 8 pounds is about the best compromise for me.

Of course, back in the day I wasn't toting a whole bunch of other stuff (and a bit of a spare tire...) like I do now.

Whew ! and thank you. To be honest when I elected to be honest with you fellows in regards to my feelings about the ULW, I thought it was possible that I would be laughed off the forum.

Dr Vette, 69gto, Guy, hodgeman--THANK YOU!

Next step a scope--will not exactly the next step but one I have been thinking about. I know April, get an S & B Summit, which might be possible a few years after I graduate from college, but not today. Our family has several Leupolds, that seem to work well. I like the 6, but the 7 works well on my dad's rifle---but I have time to think about this since we haven't started ordering parts for the gun yet lol

thanks again Brooke

Sounds like you have a good blueprint to what you'd like Brooke. A good smith can and will turn a barrel to make a barrel exactly how you like, plus you can work a stock to be the weight you need. Add in the bottom metal and other pieces along with mounts and scope and I'd bet you'll get where you wanna be.

I don't believe Leupold makes the 7 any longer but after having a VX6 for a few years I'm a pretty decent fan of it for hunting.

Brooke if you want to keep your rifle weight down go with a 4.5-14 Leupold vx3i 40mm 1 inch tube, weight is 13oz. Even with my 70yr. old eyes I have never needed a big heavy 50mm. I just bought 3 of these and they were 500.00 each shipped. It sounds like you will end up with a fine rifle.

Leupold makes several fine scopes. The VX3i is the newer iteration of the VX3, which is a great scope in its own right. I have only purchased my first VX3i and haven't had opportunity to actually evaluate it yet. I have no doubt it will work very well. I do have a collection of VX6 scopes, and they are great value for the money. I also have a number of VX7 scopes, but as Scotty has noted, they are not manufactured, having been superceded by the VX6. April has excellent tastes, consequently. I've never had a S&B, but only because they were not generally available to me. I do have a number of Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica and Kahles scopes, and each is a piece of optical art. However, I do not feel cheated when using a VX6.

I wouldn't feel hindered in the least bit with an FX3 6x42 on a 257 Weatherby. It's also a nice way to lighten the package. I've really liked the fixed powers lately. Pretty danged bulletproof and they are always set on the right power :lol:

SJB358":2klnalkh said:
I wouldn't feel hindered in the least bit with an FX3 6x42 on a 257 Weatherby. It's also a nice way to lighten the package. I've really liked the fixed powers lately. Pretty danged bulletproof and they are always set on the right power :lol:

^^^^^ This!

I love the 6x42 Leupold... plenty of power for all but the longest ranges, doesn't add unwieldy gun weight and they are practically indestructible. Everyone loves top shelf rifle glass- but in all reality, I don't think I look through a rifle scope more than a couple of minutes in an entire season. The Leupolds aren't up to par with Swaros or a S&B but they sure work like a champ.

I also can't remember the last shot I made that wasn't at 6x...even with my variable scopes. They seem to always find 6x before I shoot something. I know that even hunting open mountain country I've never felt under-scoped with a 6x.

Well everyone has suggested some really fine glass but they left out the sleeper in the crowd. Meopta used to make the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes and they still offer the Meopro which was the Conquest. I have a Meopro in 3.5-10X44 1" scope that is on my 35 Whelen AI and I'm very impressed with it and at $345.00 US it is one heck of a deal. They also offer a 6X42 if you want a straight power scope. I know they have a assembly plant and warranty station in NY state USA.
Good luck with what ever you get.

Brooke , I have a factory weatherby 7mm rem mag . it is a ULW MK V action , it shoots good . I have a couple target pics from before , and I just shot 2 targets this morning . these rifles can shoot .it does have a factory brake . I have read about guys having problems getting them to shoot well though .

this morning 600 yards , prone using a bipod and sling , no other bags or support .

this morning , 400 yards , prone using a bipod and sling , no other support . I only shot 2 shots . the second shot broke before I was ready , so I figured the group was a looser . to my amazement it wasn't that bad . I'm just not sure which shot it was .

last Sept . 550 yards .

Brooke ask me via email what I thought about the 270 WBY instead iff the 257 WBY. Basically, I told her, that since she already has the 300 H & H, I would opt for the 257. However, since she lives in Alaska the 270 certainly has merit, as you can send a little heavier bullet down range and it would give you a little more bear protection, should you need it. You will, of course have a little more recoil, but if your currently shooting the 300 H & H and the 348, the 270 WBY is not going to bother you. BUT, I am a fan of the 257 WBY and I am also old giving me two reasons why my recommendation might not be the correct one. If we add the fact I am female, that might be three reasons--but who is counting----

You live in Alaska, you already have a 300 H & H and a 348, which would you choose, the 257 or 270 WBY

BTW, she is at work all weekend and gave me permission to ask on her behalf, so direct all your replies to Brooke

p.s. nice rifle and shooting Jim

I'd run a 257 Wby... 120 PTs, A-Frames, etc will all do the same work a 270 will.

Brooke, I have owned both .257 and .270wbys. and a 130g at 3500fps or a 15 0g at 3250fps from a .270 wby. is in my opinion superior to the smaller dia. bullet going the same velocities. For elk I prefer a .338 but if I didn't have it I would grab my .270wby. not my .257. Just an old mans opinion. Were I live they issue 2500 bull tags and I don't know anyone who uses a 25 cal. on elk. Deer yes.

I hate to tell someone how to spend their money , so this is only my opinion . If I already had a 300 H&H and a 348 I'd probably go with the 257 wby . I think it would be nice to have something that doesn't kick you crosseyed every time the trigger gets squeezed .

thanks for the compliments . this rifle gives me a lot of confidence .

You are right about that, Jimbires, I used to shoot a .378 wby. and a .340 wby. and after 3 shots I would be talking like Elmer Fudd and wiping the snot off my scope. The .257wby. is definitely easy on the shoulder.

Honestly if it was me I'd do a .264 Win Mag. The bullet selection is better with higher BC's. A good 140gr bullet at 3200fps will get the job done.

I know, from plenty of experience killing elk, that as you increase the bullet diameter stuff dies faster with all else being equal. So If I had to pick from your list it would be the 270Weatherby. Another option is the new 6.5-300Weatherby.

Back