257 weatherby

alaska100

Handloader
Jan 31, 2012
Dr Mike, and others,

we recently discussed the possibility of me getting this rifle

my family has approved the purchase of the Mark V Accumark

My question

Do you think the "RC" is worth 300 dollars ?

Do you think the same three hundred dollars would be better invested in the Deluxe or Outfitter models ?

The Deluxe looks nice and it is tempting, but I would worry a bit about scratching. The outfitter is interesting, but for the extra money, I am not sure it is worth it. Not even sure the RC is worth it, but maybe---your thoughts please

Brooke

Make sure you get one of the new Mark V's. If you do, they have different barrels than the previous ones, and are all guaranteed to be sub-moa shooters. As a result, you get the RC benefit, so to speak, without spending $300 on a target for Ed W to sign. This is true no matter which Mark V version you buy.

You can always have it painted or Cerakoted in the future if you wish, and then get to pick your own colors. Or, the Arroyo looks pretty good to me.

I do believe all Weatherbys including the S2 Vanguard series is guarantied to shoot 1MOA at 100yds. The only thing with the RC models is they come with a signed target and certificate signed by Ed Weatherby. If you are a collector I guess it's worth it but I don't think I would pay $300 dollars for an autograph. If you have to have the 257 Bee I would look at a stainless S2 Vanguard and I would consider a 25-06 over the 257 Bee because of expense and cheaper ammo. I'm not knock the 257 Bee but I believe the 25-06 will do anything the 257 Bee will do. Your only gaining 225fps with the 257 Bee over the 25-06 with max loaded 120gr bullets according to Noslers E-manual on their web site.

Dr Vette, thank you, I believe this is what my great uncle intends to do, thank you

truck driver. the 257 has been recommended by my friend April, and my grandmother, so I probably will stay with that caliber, but thank you sir. As I previously here own the forum mentioned, I have a ton of rifles available to me, but only own the 348 and 300 H& H and to be honest I have never felt I needed anything else, especially here in Alaska. But if I go back to Texas for a visit and hunt the whitetail or even perhaps hunt those little antelope in Wyoming, it should be a good caliber for those hunts. I understand or at least have been told that it will reach waaaaay out there and hit like a hammer.

alaska100":1pfmj0fr said:
Dr Vette, thank you, I believe this is what my great uncle intends to do, thank you

truck driver. the 257 has been recommended by my friend April, and my grandmother, so I probably will stay with that caliber, but thank you sir. As I previously here own the forum mentioned, I have a ton of rifles available to me, but only own the 348 and 300 H& H and to be honest I have never felt I needed anything else, especially here in Alaska. But if I go back to Texas for a visit and hunt the whitetail or even perhaps hunt those little antelope in Wyoming, it should be a good caliber for those hunts. I understand or at least have been told that it will reach waaaaay out there and hit like a hammer.
Good luck with your new rifle I'm sure it will be more fun to shoot than the 2 you mentioned though I've never shot a 348 .

Alaska, I have owned 3 markv 257 wbys. and you can't go wrong with that choice. I will say the accumark is a little heavy for my taste at about 10lbs scoped. I preferred the ultra light weight at 8.5lbs. It shot the factory 115 bt. at 3500fps and loaded with IMR 7828 and f215 primer the 110 accubonds at 3550fps. Good luck with your purchase.

Broke,

I agree with Dr Vette.
Put the $300 into a quality scope. Good glass is an investment that will last you the rest of your life.
The 257 Wby is an excellent round and I am sure you will have a lot of success with it.
Post some pictures of your rifle when you get it.

JD338

I have to agree with the above...spend the $300 on better glass.

I really like the .257WBY a lot. It also makes an excellent caribou rifle- particularly in winter.

A friend of mine has the ULW version with a muzzle break. You can watch the bullet impact at 400 yds through the scope.

Yeah, an Accumark would be my last choice in the 257 Wby. Just too danged heavy to carry all day. It is an awesome cartridge though. Not much I wouldn't hunt with one and some great bullets. My little brother is killing a pretty good pile of deer with his. Hard not to like a 0-400 point and shoot blaster.

The ULW seems like a great platform for it.

As has been mentioned buy one of the NEW Mark V's, you will love their new stock and it only weighs 8 1/4 pounds. Stick an S & B Summit on it. Have your uncle load up some 120 grain PT or a Frames or use Weatherby;s Norma loaded 120 gr PT.s and head for the mountains. Deer, Elk, Caribou, Moose, Goat, Sheep can all be taken with this combo. If your helpimg cheyenne this year at one of her dog stations ask her husband to being his and shoot it a bit, you will love it

truck driver":1ebity7x said:
I do believe all Weatherbys including the S2 Vanguard series is guarantied to shoot 1MOA at 100yds.
New ones, yes, but the upgraded Mark V is new enough that they are starting to arrive in stores. If you walk into a store and it has an Accumark in 257, I'd check it first to see which version it would be. The previous ones had a 1 1/2 in guarantee, and some were more finicky than others.

I'm waiting to see Fotis show us pics of his new custom Mark V.

Thank you all, very much

I have heard from several people that the ulw version can shoot finicky and that is why I have steered clear of it.

Just to put a small twist on this, I have also been thinking about getting the 257 weatherby caliber in the Kimber Montana instead of the Weatherby

April--in reference to your S & B Summit suggestion --from your lips to gods ears lol

I don't think Kimber chambers a 257 Wby in any of their rifles. One could easily be rebarreled to any cartridge of your choice on a standard .532 action though.

Fotis has/had the 257 Wby and 270 Wby in the ULW and while they say light weight, scoped and set up they aren't altogether super lights by any stretch. Seeing the few he has had, they have shot really well. Cooper and a few others do chamber the Weatherby as well.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If you are going to be staying in one place without a ton of hiking up and down elevation, the Accumark is an excellent platform. If you plan to chase after animals up and down mountains with alot of carrying, it might be towards the bottom of my list.

April gave you some great advice, loading up a 120 Partition, A-Frame or anything in that class is a really good recipe for making long'ish shots without alot of fuss.

Scotty, I apologize you are correct. This fellow has one he rebarreled,but I have not shot it or even seen it yet, but will in the next few days. Do you like the Kimber product ?

No, you are correct, I would be walking and carrying, so weight is a consideration. The NEW Mark V's some of the fellows are talking about at 81/4 pounds are a little better.

Has anyone else heard that the ULW versions are finicky shooters ?

thank you, Brooke

Brooke, I like the Kimber rifles. Even if they require a little bedding to make them perfect you can't hardly build a rifle with the same components in their on the shelf price range.

If the MKVs are 8lbs bare they will be 10lb'ers scoped and ready to hunt at a min. It would be a touch on the heavy side for me in most of my spots I like to hunt for all day, up and down.

I've got nothing but good things to say about Weatherbys and have a MKV 300 in my safe but it's an older Japanese one that is fairly light and shoots like a 22-250.

If I was going to spend around or over 1500 on a rifle it would be a custom. I know Remington's aren't popular with many here but you can get a stainless action with bottom metal for around 500.00, a McMillan Game Scout or Hunter model for around 450.00 off their sale page, a custom barrel for 350.00, a Timney or similar trigger for 125.00, and then gunsmithing cost. So for about 2000.00 you can have a custom that should shoot sub 1/2" groups. I've built hundreds of custom rifles and there are very few factory rifles that will hold a candle to a custom. A good rifle is worth the cost. I'm sure Dr. Mike will agree with this assessment as well. If you use a Remington LRI in South Dakota has a Snipers Hide group buy going to true the action and chamber the barrel for relatively cheap compared to most gunsmiths. He does charge a lot to bed rifles and it takes a long time but his metal work is usually done in a week or less and is cheap.

Alaska, the new accumark is an average of 8lbs 3 oz, so the 257 will be heavier because of the small bore, so scoped any where from 9.75 to 10.5lbs. The ULW at 8lbs. scoped is much more pleasant to carry. I don't own a own a new ULW and my old one was a little finicky but I got it to shoot 3/4 inch or a little better. As far as the Kimber I will never own another. Idaho is right about the custom guns I have two built on Wby. and Husquavarna actions and they shoot 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Idaho and 69gto, right now I am still going to college full time while working two part time jobs. Fortunately for me both jobs allow me to be with my horses and outside, but I still like to hunt, canoe, and explore on my own time, when I actually have any. My uncle could easily put a custom gun together for me, and maybe that is what I will have him do, but I personally just don't have the time to do it, at least to do it and enjoy it. Possibly it is simply my age, but I have not yet at least had a problem carrying a 10 pound rifle, but your point does not fall on deaf ears. If we do go custom, I doubt if anyone in my family would use the Remington, we do like the weatherby, model 70, mauser platforms and I think mauser is what kimber uses, is one reason my uncle has agreed to check it out. I have heard several people bad mouth the ULW weatherby. BUT none of them were the NEW models, so maybe that is still an option----and thank you, Brooke

Brooke, putting a custom together isn't all that hard. You pick the barrel contour, twist and length, stock and provide the action you want and let a good smith put it together. Done properly you can have EXACTLY what you want without compromising on it. Plus if you have 1 hour of time you can generally figure out what your rifle will weigh within a few ounces.

I hear you on carrying 10lb rifles. I can do it as well, but I don't see the need unless it is a dedicated LR rig which a 257 Wby probably wouldn't be in the running anyhow. It's a 0-500 yard killer with no muss or fuss.

Thank you Scotty. You and my uncle might have just sold me on the custom idea, especially since I have no hunt planned for this rifle--what is the hurry. Mauser, Model 70, Weatherby would probably be the three we would choose from, do you have a preference between these three and why ? If I had to guess your a Model 70, April will be Mauser and 69gto will say weatherby--you have to love this sport (-: Brooke

ps I am off to work but will read your replies later and thank you one and all

Back