25.06 BT or Partition?

Guybo

Handloader
Aug 4, 2005
I don't know why I want to mess with what's working but I have that itch that I just have to scratch :). I'm currently using the sierra 117gr ph and it shoots good and on game performance is good but I want to try something else and the Nosler 115gr is what i'm interested in.

Problem is I don't know if I want to use the ballistic tip or the Partition. I've surfed the internet until my fingers hurt and have read article after article but still can't make up my mind. I know that guys on here have experience with both.

I only hunt deer here in NC with my 25 and they don't get real big and if you harvest one that's 180-200lb then you've killed a big one. One other factor is that my 14yr old daughter sort of grew out of her model 7 .260 and has started using my 25.06. She's a great shot but on a quartering shot or a marginal hit which one would be best?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank You! Mike

If the Partition shoots in your rifle that's what I'd use.
I use the Hornady 87 grain SP and Nosler 100 grain Partition in mine. Both are sub moa in my rifle.
The only way to know is to give it a go.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The integrity of the Partition at impact velocities would tilt my consideration of bullet. The possibility of a bad angle of shot always looms when hunting.

Well, I had a reply entered and almost ready to send, but my iPhone 5 froze up AGAIN, and my detailed accounts of 25-06 kills are now lost in the phantom cloud. No more Apple for me.
Back to the 25-06! I love it. It is the easiest shooting cartridge that allows you to shoot game effectively at ranges farther than most would want to take a chance. Only a few different bullets were used between those of us that used the 25-06. It started with the 117gr GameKing and moved to the 115gr NBT and NPT as we became more excited and interested at the loading bench. All bullets put nice channels through the many blacktail deer (including a bear and cow elk) taken. No bullet showed superior performance over the other. Not all shots were broadside standing. Only the 115gr NBT failed to exit, but that was a buck that just showed his head, looking right at my step-son at 80 yds or so. He hit him just above the nose, perfect placement. The rain water shook from that buck's entire body as he dropped on the spot. The bullet went straight into the spine at the base of the skull and took care of business, no mess, no broken skull, clean gut job! It was his first buck.
If I knew that a shot within 150yds was more likely than a 300yd shot, then I'd load a Partition just to have an advantage on a marginal angle shot. Even so, I'd not worry about a 120lb deer preventing the bullet from reaching the vitals, from any angle.

Shot a buck through the right onside ham a few years back with a .30-06 with 165 grain ballistic tips and it exited through the off side shoulder. The distance was about 40 yards. The deer spooked and took off is why I took that shot. It piled him up, down right there. Now a .30-06 will almost always exit out through a deer no matter the bullet or angle but I feel like a 115 Ballistic tip would've done near as well. I shot a buck at about 400 yards quite a few years back with my .25-06 and Remington Corelokt 120 grain bullets and if passed through both shoulders. Another doe was shot with a 117 Hornady BTSP at about 325 yards and it entered the onside shoulder and exited in front of the pelvis on the offside.

My point is in sharing these stories is that a .25-06 on deer with nearly any 115-120 grain bullet will likely penetrate adequately. Joe said to see which one shoots best and go with that bullet.

The best I can do is agree with that advice. I believe either bullet will suit your needs! Good luck and good hunting.

My go to bullet for my 25.06 for years was the 120 grain Nosler solid base. I've been working with the Accubonds this year. Just targets so far. Can't go wrong with the Partitions if they shoot well, but I would feel comfortable with BT's on deer sized game. The Sierra's have worked well for me also so I guess it's just a matter of using what you feel comfortable with. The little BT's make the prettiest cartridge if looks are important.

I used the Ballistic Tip in my .257 Weatherby a couple of weeks ago, and took a large whitetail doe at 316 yards. She spun in a big circle and dropped with a double lung shot. I have no qualms about using the BT for deer and antelope.

I really like the PTs, have an excellent load with the 115 PT that shoots bug holes in the rifle. I also have a load running the 115 BT and 120 Swift A-Frame. Any of these would be great bullets in my opinion. I don't have to have deer or animal drop in its tracks, but I do like two leak holes in most cases. With the reports Guy M and others have put up with the 115 BTs I'd be fine running that bullet against anything deer.

Load em up, chances are they will shoot real well. I doubt you'll complain about the BT on the NC deer.

I have been killed deer in east NC with a 25-06 for about 20 years. I have done crop damage control work and killed LOTS of deer. I have used a good deal of bullet makes and weights. The 117 Sierra is what I rely on. The 115 Partition is good if you can get the accuracy you need but it is not really needed for these NC deer.

Back