Savage 7-08 youth model

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
Just picked up a new shooting iron for the first of seven Granddaughters that want to go "huntin with Poppy", and I am impressed. I haven't even shot the darn thing yet and I get a little giddy every time I fondle it. The throat is close enough that a round loaded to within a .001 of the lands still fit in the magazine! Accutrigger, well it just works! Free floated, piller bedded, came with a Bushnell scope. I am betting I can coax it under .5 with a light recoiling 140 grain load for the girls. What do you think?

I believe you are going to be very pleased. What grandfather wouldn't love to pick up a nice rifle for his granddaughter? Lucky granddaughter. Good on you!

Congratulations on getting the grandkids involved.
The Savage rifles are good. Don't rule out the 120 gr BT. It is a very robust bullet with a thicker than normal jacket, a result of being made from the 140 gr BT and cut back to meet the 120 gr profile. It holds together very well on deer sized game. Recoil with the 120 gr loads is also less than the 140 gr loads.

JD338

JD338
We have very liberal elk seasons here for the youngsters, I was hoping to make her successful right out of the gate on elk.... kind of hook her for life. She is a beautiful red-head and I want her to focus on "stuff" besides hairy legged roosters. CW

3006":tevwuc62 said:
JD338
We have very liberal elk seasons here for the youngsters, I was hoping to make her successful right out of the gate on elk.... kind of hook her for life. She is a beautiful red-head and I want her to focus on "stuff" besides hairy legged roosters. CW

CW

I hear ya! I have 2 daughters and there were more than a few boys that were very uncomfortable around me. I never could understand why because I am a really nice guy, honest. :mrgreen:

The 7mm-08 will work for your daughter, and I agree with your choice of a 140 gr bullet with elk on the venue. The 140 gr AB or PT would be excellent choices. If the recoil is too much, give the 120 gr BT a try to get her acclimated to the rifle and then work up to the 14o gr loads.

JD338

Copy that, I have another 7-08 (full size rifle) that has 10 elk to it's credit(youth late season cows). Several of which we used 150 partitions on...... the very definition of performance!
I am excited about working up a load this Savage, I have never owned one before. I have two target 22's made by Savage, both very accurate rifles. So I have high hopes for this new rifle. I have been pondering a new 7 mm mag. may have to consider the Big boy version of this youth rifle with an accustock. CW

CW

I had good luck loading the 7mm-08 with a 140 gr PT and 49.0 grs RL 19. Accuracy was MOA.

JD338

Great rifle for the kids. I think the 7-08 personally is a lot better round than the 308 could ever dream of being, and as you know it's plenty for elk. I bet they will do really well with it. Congratulations.

One of my hunting partners carries a 7mm-08, and he is in his 60s. It has accounted for a couple of ton of moose and deer. Seems to work pretty good for him, and he shoots 145 grain Speer SPs.

That sounds like a great set up for the girls. I'm thinkng that sounds like the same sort of set up I'll be getting my girl as soon as she gets a bit older. She'll be set for hunting most anything the U.S. can offer.

I had a stevens 200 in same Cal. I traded it for a rimfire I wanted but there was just nothing wrong with that rifle and it was any easy 1inch shooter with cheap super-x 140's. It did kicik a little too hard for me though and it is light. As noted, dont overlook the 120's. The jackets are the same as the 140's I think. They are a tough bullet. CL

3006 - Congrats on the new 7-08.
As you know, they are generally very easy to load for and with minimal work you can end up with some fantastic results.

Mine is the same way - Rem 700 Varminter - It's taken its fair share of late season cows over there with eveything from the 120bt to 150gr B-tip.
There are numerous reduced recoil loads available for the 7-08. Let her get some trigger time with it, and come Nov / Dec load it for bear..... I mean elk. :grin:

Back