Howdy fellers, the .280AI project is still on go

Razorbacker

Beginner
Mar 31, 2013
Seems there is no builder in my area i feel comfortable with. But I did find an old school guy in TN. Plus a donor action, a real McCoy Mauser 98.

I've settled on barrel maker, (Kreiger), and length, (26") and twist, (1:9) Trigger, (Timney, unless Shilen makes one for the 98).

Her's where I need y'all's input. Throat length. I like the Berger VLD 180s. And I know some of you have longer throats. I'm reading elsewhere and guys will only say things like, "I throat mine for longer bullets." Or, "I like a longer throat so i can seat long".
Looking at the bullet sites I'm trying to find length dimensions and then compare to the SAAMI sped case and looking at seating to the bottom of the case neck what would my COAL be? But i just can't put all this together. Nosler uses 3.33 as COAL which is fine but now we look at magazine length on the 98. My builder says that is no problern but it would be nice to not have a single shot. Although I could live with that, no problem, if that's the deal to have a 98 action.
My builder is reluctant to cut the feed ramp, preffering to shorten the box up front and then back if needed.
My builder has found me a deal on a SAAMI reamer and a throat reamer, so we can go .001 if we want.
I've been driving my builder nuts with questions so please opine on throat lengths, how big you think we can stretch that 98 mag box. What COAL are you working with.

Also feel free to talk me into a 28 incher and stock recommendations.

i hunt the hills and hopefully out West so weight is a factor and a thumhole is a non-starter for me. Whatever stock I choose will need to be able to fit my extra long LOP. Maybe 16".

My builder will ream the chamber/throat. Cut the threads, set headspace, etc. Blueprint the action and bed it for me as well as free float the barrel. Should I pillar bed?
Finnish? I'm thinking I'll have him ceracoat the whole shebang.

What am i missing in my first build?
Any and all comments very much appreciated and thanks in advance.

probably move this over to the rifle section but...

I just got my 280ai a few weeks ago and currently finished day 2 of a 4 day bear season here in PA (probably skipping day 4) and I must say I love the stock that my gunsmith put on my 280, the ruger action isn't a lightweight action but it balances very well in the High Tech Specialties stock (which is to be a light weight stock)

but the stock is about the only advice i'm good for, good luck on the build

Razorbacker":2e6nfw06 said:
Seems there is no builder in my area i feel comfortable with. But I did find an old school guy in TN. Plus a donor action, a real McCoy Mauser 98.

Hey, you having Teach do your rifle?

bullet":2q96ud38 said:
Razorbacker":2q96ud38 said:

Hey, you having Teach do your rifle?

Yep, we had talked about it on line, then he happened to be passing through and we met for lunch. He offered to sell me his 98 action and the more we talked the more comfortable I got so we came to an understanding.
btw, Mike, I've meant to email you a 1000 times and just didn't get around to it. Your spiritual help with my wife's issue finally made a big difference. Also in putting my reloading book together I found countless emails of your advice in a variety of chamberings. You've been a terrific friend and mentor and I really appreciate it

If I were you I'd throat it for the bullet your gonna use at mag length as that seems to be the limiting factor.

nvbroncrider":3rwxpabv said:
If I were you I'd throat it for the bullet your gonna use at mag length as that seems to be the limiting factor.

Yes, you've cut right to the obvious heart of the matter. Mag length. As i said in my OP, Nosler factory fodder is 3.33. And when I ask my builder he says no problem on that but when I ask him how long can we go, he just says how long do you want? So that is my question. What COAL are you .280 AI guys seating to.
BTW, I have no problem if length needed for optimum performance turns this thing into a single shot but would prefer to avoid that.

EDIT: When I ask what you guys are seating to I mean with the heavier bullets. 180 grainers for instance.

Well mine is custom throated on a 700. With the 175 ABLR I can run all the way out to 3.545" if I was to build one around that bullet today I might go a hair longer but by doing something like that you may limit use of other bullets because of accuracy issues.

nvbroncrider":2u1nsgan said:
Well mine is custom throated on a 700. With the 175 ABLR I can run all the way out to 3.545" if I was to build one around that bullet today I might go a hair longer but by doing something like that you may limit use of other bullets because of accuracy issues.

Yeah, that 700 action gives lots more flexibility. I reckon I'm just not asking the question coherently. All I know to do at this point is get some of the bullets I want to use, make up a dummy round and send it to my builder.

If it were me, in a perfect world, I would want the base of the bullet or slightly more (VLD or ABLR) of the base seated into the shoulder/neck junction, and let it run. If your constrained by the OAL of the magazine, then, seat it out as far as you can go. Either way, I am sure with a well put together rifle, you'll still have excellent accuracy and speeds, even if they are seated a touch deep.

nvbroncrider":2rsqspwg said:

I believe that would be the way I'd go if I decided to AI my .280. So far though, I like it the way it is and I am a believer in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :lol:
Paul B.

I have a .280 built on a VZ-24 (98 Mauser) action using the original bottom metal with its integral magazine box. I have found that cartridge OAL must be 3.34" or less.

If it was me and I thought I'd like to use VLD-style bullets, I'd throat the rifle so as to sacrifice a bit of powder space under that long bullet so that I could still use a Partition or other more conventional bullet just for flexibility's sake. But that's just me.

RiverRider":3cftn8gw said:
I have a .280 built on a VZ-24 (98 Mauser) action using the original bottom metal with its integral magazine box. I have found that cartridge OAL must be 3.34" or less.

If it was me and I thought I'd like to use VLD-style bullets, I'd throat the rifle so as to sacrifice a bit of powder space under that long bullet so that I could still use a Partition or other more conventional bullet just for flexibility's sake. But that's just me.

I may have to do that. I am going to make up a dummy round and send it to him and just see what he can do. But this still doesn't get to the root of the matter, which is throat length. too long and accuracy will suffer with lighter/shorter bullets. But the bonded bullets like a little jump.
Or maybe I'm just over thinking this thing.

Back