Youth Loads

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
I have a 10 year old grand daughter that is going to be hunting during South Dakota's youth deer season this coming Saturday. Last year I loaded up some 65gr. Sierra Gameking Spitzer Boat Tails for my 16" Bushmaster .223 for her to use. Unfortunately she never did get a shot at a Deer last year.

This year since she took part in our first annual Step Outside Day, and thought shooting the Muzzleloader and .243 was a hoot I decided that since I don't have a muzzleloader or a .243 at present I'd do the next best thing.

Since I had some H-4895 Powder on hand, I purchased a box of .30 Caliber 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and loaded some .308 Ammo using the data directly from Hodgdon's web site in their Youth Loading Data section.

Upon shooting some of this ammo last Saturday I had a pleasant surprise. The recoil was quite a bit less than my full power loads, but what surprised me the most was that these youth loads printed 1" groups at 100 yards. My Rifle / Scope is zeroed for my 165gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip / 45.0grs. of Varget load, 2 1/4" high at 100 yards. I was further surprised when the youth loads printed dead zero at 100 yards.

I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised as a couple of years ago I loaded up some youth ammo for a buddy of mine for his kids to shoot, however that was in both .243 & .30-06. In both of those guns this youth ammo shot quite well and they have taken a few Whitetails with the ammo. I guess why I was so shocked is I never did shoot any of that ammo myself to be able to relate how much less the recoil was from full power ammo.

At any rate the Hodgdon web site shows the load I loaded for my .308 to produce 2592 FPS with a 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip (I have not actually chronographed this load yet in my 20" .308). Using the numbers from the Hodgdon web site when I calculate the recoil the recoil is about exactly the same as a .243 .

Given this info which would be a better choice for a small stature female (my grand daughter and my wife are about the same size) to use for Whitetail Deer Hunting, the .308 / 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip Youth Load or a .243 Winchester?

I am not sure if my grand daughter and I are going hunting this coming weekend on opening day or if we are going to wait for cooler weather.

Thanks

Larry

Agree that those "youth" and low-recoil loads that Hodgdon supplies are GREAT! I've heard good stuff about the .30 cal 125 Ballistic Tip on deer as well.

I don't know that there's a "best" choice between a .243 and a downloaded .308 for a younger/smaller shooter. Either one is a good choice. My son and I often hunt mule deer with a 6mm Remington, which produces ballistics almost identical to a .243 Win, and we've never had a problem dropping deer with it, even out at 300 yards. My preferred deer bullet for it is the 95 grain Ballistic Tip, although last year we returned to using the older 100 grain Nosler Solid Base soft-point bullet. It did just fine, just like it always has.

If you want to buy a .243 for deer, I sure wouldn't hesitate about it. On the other hand, it seems you've made your existing .308 a very reasonable choice as well. My oldest son benefited from me downloading his .308 rifle, but I used 150 grain bullets and H 4895.

One thing I did that really helped my youngest son when he was smaller was to put the 6mm Rem into a smaller Remington "youth" stock. This made it a lot easier for him to handle, and the cushy recoil pad took all the "ouch" out of it on his bony shoulder.

Regards, Guy

Larry, I have killed 50+ whitetails with a 308x1.5 Barnes using the 125gr NBT. That rifle gives similar ballistics to the downloaded 308. I would choose the downloaded 308. I load the same load you mention for a friend with a bad shoulder. He has killed deer without a problem.Rick.

Thanks guys. Hodgdon's web site shows a muzzle velocity of 2592 FPS for the .308 Youth Load with 38.0grs. of H-4895 in the .308.

For the record a 14" T/C Contender I had in .30-30 Ackley Improved shot the 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip to 2601 FPS, and we took a few Whitetails with that load, including one 4x4 buck at 276 yards.

Larry

I haven't used the 125gr BT, but have used the 308 with the 125gr Sierra Pro Hunter in my wifes 308. It does really well when loaded to about 2700FPS and has handled deer just fine! I would think that 308 and BT would be an excellent set up for youth. Scotty

We had the first test of the Youth Loads for the .308 today. My Grandkids, Wife and I went to the shooting range today. I brought along 17 - 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water and 3 - 2 liter pop bottles filled with water. The goal for today was to have my 10 year old grand daughter and my wife shoot the .308 with the youth loads.

We set half of the jugs at 50 yards and the other half at 100 yards. My grand daughter started out with my 16" Bushmaster ORC .223 AR-15. She did quite good hitting every jug at 50 yards and only missing a couple shots at 100 yards.

Then my wife shot the .308 with the youth loads. Her first comment was "that sure didn't kick much". The wife went 5 for 5 jugs with the .308. Then my grand daughter shot the .308 with the youth loads. When I asked her if it kicked she said NO and just kept exploding jugs.

The jugs sure didn't last long, but we had a fun day none the less. Now if the weather would cool off a bit I can take the grand daughter out to fill her youth deer tag.

In the end these youth loads worked out exactly as I had hoped they would.

Larry

The reality is that it doen't matter either will kill deer with a well placed bullet. The 243 is a very flat shooting rifle and I have kill a lot of deer and praire goats with it. Then again the 308 is a great cartridge . If I had to pick the perfact youth/lady caliber it would by the 7mm-08. My wife is very impressive with hers. But guess what she would most likely do just as well with either the 243 or a 308.

You deserve a pat on the back for taking your granddaughter hunting. Hunting with family and close friends is my favorate part of life.

Sounds like a great day at the range.

Always great to see a plan come together. Good luck hunting !

I have killed a good number of deer with the 125 ballistic tip and have turned others on to this bullet for use on the average white tail. It will hammer a deer. I shoot it at 3000 fps from my 308 and 2850 fps from my 30X47 HBR. I have never had one single deer take a step after taking one to the front shoulder. I have killed upwards of 25 deer with it. I will be shooting the 125 BT from my 14" 30-30AI Contender pistol this season at 2670 fps and I expect the same results as the past rifle kills from what others have told me. If you wife or granddaughter puts that bullet in the kill zone they will be eating well this winter. :grin:

Thanks guys. Hunting with members of my family is how I grew up hunting. It is not only tradition for me but a way of life so to speak. I couldn't imagine not hunting with members of my family. Even the first times I ventured to western South Dakota to hunt Pronghorns my wife hunted with me.

Yes I have every confidence in that the 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip at this velocity level will do the job if they put the bullet in the right place. I have used this bullet at 2601 FPS from a 14" T/C Contender in .30-30 Ackley Improved with very good results. My youngest daughter shot her first deer with the 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2601 FPS from that same 14" T/C Contender .30-30 Ackley Improved Handgun.

Thanks again, now I just need to load up some more ammo.

Larry

Back