You just cannot fix stupid.

It speaks for itself.
..Firearms expert Jerry Nadler states the AR15 is banned and not the "ancient" M1 is....

Paul B.
Yeah, but he pointed out that the 30-06 bullet was not as lethal as was the bullet from the AR15. I mean, that's why all of us shoot our elk and our bear with an AR15! o_O

What is tragic is not just as Poopy Pants Nadler chairs such an important committee, but that people actually elected him. What was it? Were there only thirty-six people who voted in his district? And thirty-seven were paid to vote for the D?:rolleyes:

Being a German I have to say that you leaned heavily on the 8x57.
But yeah .
I am currently out waiting for boar.
I used to bring my 30-06, now the 6,5 Creedmoor.
I sold my 223 because it is not considered enough for big game over here.
Go figure

I always enjoy your posts about hunting in Germany. I've never done so, and likely never will, so it's nice to get a glimpse of it from your posts, Thanks!

For anything larger than our roe deer, we need at least 6,5 mm and 2000J @ 100 m.
Whatever 2000J is in FP....
For roe, 1000j @100m
So 223 is ok, but for nothing larger.
But it seems to be more dangerous than 30-06...

Being a German I have to say that you leaned heavily on the 8x57.
But yeah .
I am currently out waiting for boar.
I used to bring my 30-06, now the 6,5 Creedmoor.
I sold my 223 because it is not considered enough for big game over here.
Go figure
My father was in the 90th Inf. Div. 3rd Army WW2 European Theater and had a health respect for the 8x57 along with 88s. Dan.

I reload for 20 years now.
And honestly - for our hunts over here there is too much debate and too little practice.
Average shot distance is less than 100y. Yes - some shoot longer. And they usually know what they are doing.
For the rest?
It is more about choosing the right bullet. It simply doesn't matter if you put a 6,5 there or a 9,3.
Hit where it hurts.
Yeah. They might run a bit. But following up with a firm dog is MANDATORY here. And we have very good ones...
Our largest game is the small cousin of your elk - the red stag.
Putting the right bullet at the right place within 200 y will get the job done.
Whether it is 7mm, 308 (30-06 and the magnums), 8mm or up.
With a rangefinder and a good scope, nothing is safe within 300y. You might want to be able to read the wind.

I don't own one, but the 8x57 still does the job.
As does the 30-06.
Or the 7x57.
Or ....

But if most people realised that, the companies wouldn't sell new guns. So we need hypes.
I think our Doc likes the 8x68.
Going strong for the century.
But somehow it still works.
Seems game doesn't evolve quickly enough to adapt. Haven't seen one with class 4 body armour yet.
Of course all your older US cartridges still work if put in the right hands.
Long post...
What I want to say: a hundred years ago engeeniers did a terrific job.
Nowadays, we have better powder, better bullets, better steel for the rifles.
Many cartridges are limited in their power, because there are old rifles we don't want to blow up.
With modern components, the old ones still shine

Last edited:
Funny how when they’re pushed on an issue they usually say the quite part out loud and let their true intentions surface. Sadly there’s a bunch of people out there who rely on the media and their politicians to inform them on things, so they just run around parroting what they were told, and spread misinformation. Right now there’s an article on Fox News where they say the subject had “automatic” hand guns.

I reload for 20 years now.
And honestly - for our hunts over here there is too much debate and too little practice.
Average shot distance is less than 100y. Yes - some shoot longer. And they usually know what they are doing.
For the rest?
It is more about choosing the right bullet. It simply doesn't matter if you put a 6,5 there or a 9,3.
Hit where it hurts.
Yeah. They might run a bit. But following up with a firm dog is MANDATORY here. And we have very good ones...
Our largest game is the small cousin of your elk - the red stag.
Putting the right bullet at the right place within 200 y will get the job done.
Whether it is 7mm, 308 (30-06 and the magnums), 8mm or up.
With a rangefinder and a good scope, nothing is safe within 300y. You might want to be able to read the wind.

I don't own one, but the 8x57 still does the job.
As does the 30-06.
Or the 7x57.
Or ....

But if most people realised that, the companies wouldn't sell new guns. So we need hypes.
I think our Doc likes the 8x68.
Going strong for the century.
But somehow it still works.
Seems game doesn't evolve quickly enough to adapt. Haven't seen one with class 4 body armour yet.
Of course all your older US cartridges still work if put in the right hands.
Long post...
What I want to say: a hundred years ago engeeniers did a terrific job.
Nowadays, we have better powder, better bullets, better steel for the rifles.
Many cartridges are limited in their power, because there are old rifles we don't want to blow up.
With modern components, the old ones still shine
Excellent post and information. Thank you

I am unable to hunt now but had the opportunity to hunt several European countries in the past and loved doing so. My favorite countries to hunt were

Scotland----Pheasants
Ireland--Fox ( horse and hound, no rifle )
Sweden--Capercaillie
Spain--Ibex
Austria--anything, I just love their lodges (-:

IMHO a lot of calibers that might have been marginally large enough for the game taken has changed because the bullets have improved. My husband loved the Bitteroot bullets and then Swift, Nosler, and a couple others. Three companies who made excellent bullets have closed down ( Alaska, Australia, Oregon ) but a couple of all copper bullet companies have taken their place. Cheyenne is being forced to look at a different bullet for the 348 and I think she is looking at a company in Montana.. Old calibers like two of my favorites ( 6.5 x 55 and 300 H & H ) have taken a lot of game thru the years.

As to the original post. Paul, Jerry Nadler is waaaaaay done on my list of people to run the river with. In fact in looking at my list he did not make the cut ;)

Back