WSMs--why the failure to turn the rifle world around

Horsethief

Handloader
Jul 5, 2012
I've never shot a rifle chambered for any WSM cartridge, but I have noticed fewer of them for sale in big stores and offered by wholesalers. Why is this? I think it is due to low sales, but what is the cause of the low sales? Is a short action magnum no better than a standard or a long action magnum? Are the WSMs too picky when it comes to different bullet weights, reloading powders, or bullet seating depth? Any one have an opinion on this?

They're good cartridges, all of the WSM's, and the wildcats I've seen based on them. Strong cases. Good design. Good ballistics.

However they didn't offer the average guy much in a hunting rifle cartridge that he didn't already have.

I've got a .300 WSM, and though it's only been REAL accurate with one particular load, it has been a joy to load for and shoot.

It's just another in a line of .30 cal magnums that started 30 years ago for me. All the others were .300 Win mags. There was a Ruger 77, a Ruger Number One, a Win Model 70 classic, and a Remington 700. They were all decent rifles, and I did a little hunting with them.

The ballistics I get from the .300 WSM aren't any better, and in some cases struggle to keep up with, those I saw from my .300 Win mag factory loads and handloads.

I think enough guys saw that there wasn't any real ballistic advantage to swapping out a .300 Win mag for a .300 WSM, and they just didn't get real excited about the new short cartridges.

Some shooters have found though that there is tremendous accuracy potential, and that brass life is excellent, even using high pressure handloads. I suspect that the .300 WSM will stick around for a long time. The others don't seem to be doing real well. Too bad since the 7mm WSM is an outstanding long range hunting cartridge.

My two cents worth at any rate. I think the average guy is more impressed by ballistics than by less tangible things such as accuracy potential & case life, thus no desire to swap out the good ol' .300 Win mag for the short newcomer. I remember a lot of "We didn't ask for this." sentiment when the WSM's were introduced. I was one of those guys, but after trying the .300 WSM... Well, I decided it was worth having after all.

Regards, Guy

The reason you ain't seeing any on the shelves is probably because they are sold out. The 300 WSM and 270 WSM are top sellers up here and very popular, not so much for the 7mm WSM, which I think is the best of the bunch.

However they didn't offer the average guy much in a hunting rifle cartridge that he didn't already have.

I believe that the gun manufactures have not developed anything substantially new in about 30 years. Mostly what they offer today is hype. The rifles themselves have improved but the new cartridges are really not much different or offer increased performance.!

akhunter":2frzmo2v said:
The reason you ain't seeing any on the shelves is probably because they are sold out. The 300 WSM and 270 WSM are top sellers up here and very popular, not so much for the 7mm WSM, which I think is the best of the bunch.

I fully concur on all points. There are always 270WSMs and 300WSMs moving here.

The 270 and 300 will be be around a long time and seem quite popular, the 7mm and 325 will probably hang on as well in a more limited way. After years of making magnum rounds bigger and bigger the Wsm's are a refreshing change, more performance than the majority of hunters can even take advantage of without the excessive recoil, blast, cost and debatable usefulness of the huge rounds.

...I think they're quite a bit more popular than you expect, but look @ the 7mm RM. Introduced in 1962, I can guarantee you that 15yrs. later when I bought my first one it was still pretty rare to see anyone else shooting one. The.300 WSM is already in the "Top Ten" ammo sales, & is listed in B&C w/ a pretty impressive number of records...

...essentially matching the .300 WM in a shorter, lighter rifle @ a manageable level of recoil, it's the "Real Deal"...

I'm with Gene and Mike. I've got the 270, 7mm and 300 WSM. All three of them are my babies. Excellent speed, easy to find great loads, and the cases last forever. The 300 mimicks the 300 H&H by all I can tell and doesn't kick me from underneath my Stormy Kromer!

I've not had problems getting 3000 with 180's and 2900 with 200's, without killing cases or popping primers. Plus, the little featherweight is alot of rifle in a small package!

My Browning X-bolt 270 WSM will never be for sale. Love the cartridge and the rifle!

I owned a 270WSM once. The only reason I sold it is because it was a Savage with a really stiff bolt lift that annoyed the crap out of me. The price to tune and time the action is more than I wanted to put into it. In addition the 270 bullets don't have as much available for high BC bullets. Once I got a 7mm Weatherby the 270 became excess and I sold it to a friend's son. It's the first rifle I ever shot at 300 yards and hit the center of a target.

I found it highly accurate and the recoil wasn't that bad at all. The 300WSM always looks attractive but I don't have much need for it right now. While the 7mm WSM is a great round I don't think that there is much room to push the thousands of 7mm Remingtons out of their coveted spot.

Patrick

wildgene":gbtz776q said:
...now if someone would just get a .325...

I wish they'd done a 338 instead. Yes, I know there are 338-300WSM wildcats, but really - a 325?!?

In my home we have 4 WSMs. My goto rifle so far has been a Sako 75 Finnlight in 270WSM. Plenty of Elk and Deer with that one. I have a rifle I'm playing with for ranges of 600-1000yds and it is a 300WSM. I was going to swap the barrel to a 7MM WSM but that 300 is sooo accurate that for now it stays!

I don't know about the numbers but the .270 and .300 are quite popular locally as is the .325 and all are regular fixtures on the shelf.

I've used one nearly exclusively for 7 years...I bought the rifle despite the .300WSM chambering but fell in love with the round after the fact.

I can get 3k out of a 180 with ease and 3200 with 150s considerably below max- I also have a pretty impressive track record of one shot kills.

Have a friend in Wyoming (of all places!) with a .375 based on a .300 WSM case.

Quite a rifle!

SJB358":3lo392lb said:
I'm with Gene and Mike. I've got the 270, 7mm and 300 WSM. All three of them are my babies. Excellent speed, easy to find great loads, and the cases last forever. The 300 mimicks the 300 H&H by all I can tell and doesn't kick me from underneath my Stormy Kromer!

I've not had problems getting 3000 with 180's and 2900 with 200's, without killing cases or popping primers. Plus, the little featherweight is alot of rifle in a small package!

Scotty, my friend, in reference to your mention of recoil above

as you know we have four daughters and they all hunt. So with Jerry and I we have 6 rifles in the field at one time on many occasions. We have used the 300-- H & H, WSM, WM, and Wea all at the same time., and have done quite a bit of testing of these four. On recoil the H & H was the least, but only marginally less than the WSM and then the WM and the WEA of course has the most. This was with a 180 gr in all four. We also found everything, except the wea had the same distance, velocity and accuracy, or at least so close, the difference just did not matter. Again the wea shoots a little further and with a little more velocity than the other three.

the wsm uses less powder to get the same results as the H & H and of course is a short action. The H & H is easier to chamber. Two of our daughters swear by the 300 WSM, myself and one daughter likes the 300 H & H, no one at this time is using the WM or Wea in the 300. And this is just in one family. LOL

As to the original question, we see a lot of WSM rifles, especially the 7MM. I think they are here to stay and was a good idea. ---- IMHO

I guess I'm not the guy to ask, as I have six of them in the safe...

wildgene":37nndkzq said:
...now if someone would just get a .325...

You tell him, Gene. For that that aren't in the know, we can't mention any names, but he is known as the crown prince of enablers. I'd never divulge his name, but his initials spell SJB. :mrgreen:

And his name starts with "S" and ends with "cotty".

Hey, I'm doing my part with my Montana .325...

BK":256362fe said:
Hey, I'm doing my part with my Montana .325...

A little helpful advice or something for him to emulate may be just the ticket, Kurt. 8)

Back