Working up pistol loads

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
Last summer I purchased a Glock 20sf but have not shot it much since ammo is so expensive. I finally have the components together: Nosler 180 JHP, Starline brass, WLP primers, and was finally able to score four pounds of blue dot. I have very little experience in pistol reloading.

Typically when working a ladder test I load in .5 grain increments for my rifles. Not sure if .5 grain increments in pistol loading is a good idea. How much should I increase the charge while testing? Thank you in advance.

I would say around .2 - .3 grain increments. Alliant shows the max load at 11 grains of BD for the 180 Gold Dot HP. I would start around 9.5 and work my way up. If you start reloading once fired 10mm, you might want to invest in a Redding push thru sizer to eliminate any glock bulges.

I load quite a few 10s.
I use AA #9 though so I won't be much help with Blue Dot.
FWIW, being a newer 20 you shouldn't have to worry about a bulge. I've probably loaded 1500 or so 10s from my 20c and have had zero issues. Most of the issues mentioned were older models and in armorers class we were told they had dealt w that in newer models.
For shooting dirt, AA 5 if you find it makes a nice load. CCI LP primer, 9.2 #5, Ranier or Berrys 165.
Good luck. A G20 is a lot of fun.
Don't know what dies you picked up but a factory crimp die (just enough to take out the bell and lightly crimp to prevent setback ) from Lee is handy.
Great call on the Starline! Good stuff.
Nosler 7 maxes Blue Dot w 180s at 10.2 gr.
The 2 to 3 tenths increment is about right.

Back