Wolves

Many areas of the U.P will have few deer. The DNR says hard winters, predators and declining habitat are to blame.

We have had 3 wolf attacks on dogs just across the WI border from here. People were walking their dogs "off leash" for all three. DNR says to walk them on a leash for "safety".......really????

Jim, guess you have at least a couple documented south of the bridge now.

Lar.

longwinters":37wp4afw said:
If the Straits freeze you will be getting more I'm sure..

Lar

Yup, that's why they are already in the Northern Lower.

JD338

hodgeman":8bn6jh4t said:
Guy Miner":8bn6jh4t said:
If I EVER make it up to Alaska or the Yukon for a hunt - I'd sure love to add a wolf to the take.

Thinking a big ol' wolf skin would make a mighty fine way to remember a big hunt in the far north.

Guy

Guy- if you seriously want a wolf, go up north of the Brooks and do a caribou hunt. Very common there and they follow the caribou as they migrate. Pretty decent chances of scoring one and the tags are pretty inexpensive ($50 if I remember right). In the Interior they are still common but usually give folks a wide berth. This was my 5th wolf encounter in 3 years, but the only one with a wolf in rifle range.

Guy, this is an excellent suggestion, a caribou and wolf hunt would be a fun hunt for you. IF, after the hunt, you enjoyed hunting the wolf, you might consider going to Nunavut for a Muskox and Arctic wolf hunt. The Arctic wolf are very beautiful and would look nice on your wall, floor or trim for a leather coat. This is a very popular hunt and is sold out for a couple of years in advance so you would need to book early. The last I looked the hunt is approx 13000 plus air fare. Most of these hunts leave from Baker Lake in Nunavut. You could do Alaska this year, Africa next year and Canada the next year. Isnt it nice being retired.

yukon huntress":1y7t1u6c said:
hodgeman":1y7t1u6c said:
Guy Miner":1y7t1u6c said:
If I EVER make it up to Alaska or the Yukon for a hunt - I'd sure love to add a wolf to the take.

Thinking a big ol' wolf skin would make a mighty fine way to remember a big hunt in the far north.

Guy

Guy- if you seriously want a wolf, go up north of the Brooks and do a caribou hunt. Very common there and they follow the caribou as they migrate. Pretty decent chances of scoring one and the tags are pretty inexpensive ($50 if I remember right). In the Interior they are still common but usually give folks a wide berth. This was my 5th wolf encounter in 3 years, but the only one with a wolf in rifle range.

Guy, this is an excellent suggestion, a caribou and wolf hunt would be a fun hunt for you. IF, after the hunt, you enjoyed hunting the wolf, you might consider going to Nunavut for a Muskox and Arctic wolf hunt. The Arctic wolf are very beautiful and would look nice on your wall, floor or trim for a leather coat. This is a very popular hunt and is sold out for a couple of years in advance so you would need to book early. The last I looked the hunt is approx 13000 plus air fare. Most of these hunts leave from Baker Lake in Nunavut. You could do Alaska this year, Africa next year and Canada the next year. Isnt it nice being retired.
Cheyenne is looking out for you. :)
You're a lucky man to have a friend such as she.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

For a size comparison, here is a picture of a doe that is standing pretty close to the canines.
I__00024.jpg

UP%20Wolves%20100415.jpg

JD338

truck driver":1hrt9ra0 said:
They maybe protected but they got to go.
I agree.
Nice and quiet but gone they should be.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Sure looks like a big coyote to me. :grin:
Just make sure they don't have a tracking collar. They tend to panic when those stop moving. :lol:

Keep them up there by the way. Hopefully there's not enough cover down here to hold or attract them.

Dwh7271":1wpsa5sx said:
Sure looks like a big coyote to me. :grin:
Just make sure they don't have a tracking collar. They tend to panic when those stop moving. :lol:

Keep them up there by the way. Hopefully there's not enough cover down here to hold or attract them.

Collars can always be attached to big rigs stopped in truck stops. That tends to make the leaf lickers happy as they witness their handiwork being shared with the remainder of the nation.

Collars can always be attached to big rigs stopped in truck stops. That tends to make the leaf lickers happy as they witness their handiwork being shared with the remainder of the nation.

Genius. Pure genius.

Here is a track next to my Danner boot, size 11 Wide.
Wolf%20Track%20111815.jpg

JD338

Man JD. that's a lot of dog there.
How many do you think are around you?
Hope they don't hammer your deer population.

They have been seeing them in Utah and Eastern Oregon recently too. But don't worry "they are on the run" too, just like ISIS. Not a thing to worry about!

;) ;)

Dale

filmjunkie4ever":1xdkel6h said:
They have been seeing them in Utah and Eastern Oregon recently too. But don't worry "they are on the run" too, just like ISIS. Not a thing to worry about!

;) ;)

Dale

The administration has them "contained." They are just a Jay Vee team. Nothing to worry about (until there is need to worry).

Back