Windrunner with new 308 barrel

Woodycreek

Handloader
Aug 2, 2007
Here are some pics of TDD1964's Windrunner rifle with the new 308 barrel and a few targets. Tom will need to jump in with details of rifle and his load work.

42e10809.jpg

5 shot 100 yard target using RL-15 with 178 SMKs? .495"!
58716a3f.jpg

Federal match on bottom and Tom's reloads on top
3ab8f929.jpg

Tom's reloads at 200
4d987a88.jpg

I tried the Fed Match at 200
cfcd4268.jpg

The .308 does so well, so easily...

Nice shooting, and a wild looking rifle!

Nice rifle and shooting looks like an elite iron bravo suppressor? How does he like that? I have a cqc on order for my 6.5x47.

Nice shooting. What a change from the Lapua! That thing must barely sound like a pop gun when it goes off.

usmc 89":2gptnoi6 said:
Nice rifle and shooting looks like an elite iron bravo suppressor? How does he like that? I have a cqc on order for my 6.5x47.

I know it's an Elite Iron and that's about it for me. Tom should be on sometime today to fill in the gaps.

SJB358":2gptnoi6 said:
Nice shooting. What a change from the Lapua! That thing must barely sound like a pop gun when it goes off.

Just like shooting a 22LR!

Thanks to Brian for posting the pics. I need a little remedial education on that. We had a great time shooting that rifle. It is a Model 98 EDM Windrunner that came in 338 Lapua. I always wanted the .308 "mini windrunner" but EDM sold the design to Nemesis arms. I had contacted Bill at EDM about his new Model 12 rifle in .308 and he said "Why not just get a .308 bolt and barrel for the Model 98?". So, a bolt and barrel later, I can shoot it in .308 and .338LM. It has a Nightforce scope, a Kepplinger set trigger, and an Elite Iron Sierra .338 suppressor.

The day the pictures were taken was the first day since the barrel was "broken in" using the clean between rounds then clean between 5 rounds method. The more the barrel got fouled and heated up, the better it shot. We shot some Federal match through it and I also shot some .308 loads that I developed for my Remington 40X .308. The homemade rounds were 175g SMKs with 40.2g of Reloader 15, Lapua brass and Fed match primers. Not a fast round, but seems to work. The OAL is 2.80. I have not chronographed it so I don't know exactly how fast they are going, but I get good groups with both rifles.

With the suppressor and the 26+ pound weight, it did shoot like a .22lr. Almost no recoil and the suppressor certainly made it more than hearing safe. My plans are to measure the chamber for a more accurate cartridge length and start ramping up the charge to see what happens. We can put it on the chrono on it and track speed vs accuracy.

What is it good for? Nothing really. I certainly would not want to have to hump that rifle anywhere, but it sure is a lot of fun to shoot.

it sure is a lot of fun to shoot.

And that is what it is all about. There are working rifles and there are rifles for fun. I'm with you on this, Tom.

Tom that is a very interesting rifle :) it looks like it would be lots of fun to shoot and experiment with.
Thanks for the update and data on it.

Blessings,
Dan

TDD1964":2csmth6e said:
Thanks to Brian for posting the pics. I need a little remedial education on that. We had a great time shooting that rifle. It is a Model 98 EDM Windrunner that came in 338 Lapua. I always wanted the .308 "mini windrunner" but EDM sold the design to Nemesis arms. I had contacted Bill at EDM about his new Model 12 rifle in .308 and he said "Why not just get a .308 bolt and barrel for the Model 98?". So, a bolt and barrel later, I can shoot it in .308 and .338LM. It has a Nightforce scope, a Kepplinger set trigger, and an Elite Iron Sierra .338 suppressor.

The day the pictures were taken was the first day since the barrel was "broken in" using the clean between rounds then clean between 5 rounds method. The more the barrel got fouled and heated up, the better it shot. We shot some Federal match through it and I also shot some .308 loads that I developed for my Remington 40X .308. The homemade rounds were 175g SMKs with 40.2g of Reloader 15, Lapua brass and Fed match primers. Not a fast round, but seems to work. The OAL is 2.80. I have not chronographed it so I don't know exactly how fast they are going, but I get good groups with both rifles.

With the suppressor and the 26+ pound weight, it did shoot like a .22lr. Almost no recoil and the suppressor certainly made it more than hearing safe. My plans are to measure the chamber for a more accurate cartridge length and start ramping up the charge to see what happens. We can put it on the chrono on it and track speed vs accuracy.

What is it good for? Nothing really. I certainly would not want to have to hump that rifle anywhere, but it sure is a lot of fun to shoot.

I am looking forward to squeezing a few off from it Tom. Should be alot of fun out on the long range. Gotta see if I can get the wife behind that rifle!

I should be seeing you all in a few weeks.

Back