Whitetail hunt

Firebird

Handloader
Jun 22, 2013
Sitting in my hotel room catching up-killed my best ever whitetail buck last night with my pre '64 Winchester .30-06 model 70. Bullet was a 165 gr Sierra gameking which performed better than I expected as it passed front to rear, base of neck to just under skin on rear flank. Shot him at 120 yards, the bullets are hand loads with superformance powder, don't remember the exact recipe just now. I shot the buck as he was cruising some woodlands looking for does. He came to a scrape where I had hung a doe pee scented wick and at the shot he fell in his tracks. Kinda looked like a tv show and I got it on trail cam to some extent. My biggest buck ever and a great experience.
Should mention that normally the AccuBond is my go to hunting bullet but this gun does not shoot them well. I did a bunch of experimenting before I found that the gameking worked extremely well with this rifle and has a reputation as a quality deer bullet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,108
WOW! That is a hammer of a buck! Way to go! What a tank.. Congrats on that deer. He is a great buck.

Great shooting too, looks like all the load work went well and it's great the old Pre64 didn't let you down!

Firebird":271ykij0 said:
Spitzer soft point-

That is awesome. My buddy shot a WY mule deer doe at 80 yards with that bullet from his 30-06. Would you believe one entry and 4 exit holes? Jacket was found by the ribs in the entry wound so the core became shotgun pellets! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nothing wrong with that, I have a couple buddy's that swear by the gmk s . Bullet did its job and that's all you can ask.

That is really a nice buck.!!! You cannot complain about success. Congratulations.

Thats just cool! Sure cant complain about that. Really nice buck- great shot- classic rifle and apparently excellent hand loading. Congrats! CL

Back