White rice as tumbling media...Excellent!

kraky

Handloader
Jan 21, 2006
I was needing to change out my walnut stuff and saw a post on another site. Picked up a 5# bag of uncooked white rice at Wally world for $2.93.2.5# is a perfect match to my midway tumbler. I followed the guys recipe and mixed 1 oz kit car wax with 1 oz rubbing alcohol and slowly added it to the tumbler.Let it run about 1/2 hour and the alcohol disapated pretty good.Have now done 4 batches of brass and they come out beautiful in probably less time than walnut. The big plus for me is there is way way less dust when you are done. The rice also comes out of the shells better when shaking through the sifter. Not saying its a miracle but I find it better and pretty cheap.

Interesting........ I'm about ready to change out my walnut.

What type car wax did you use??

Basmati? Long grain? Short grain? (Sorry, just had to ask. :twisted: )

I bought the cheapest on the shelf. Its Wally worlds (great value) name brand. It says long grain enriched.
Now if we can get them to enrich it with flitz metal polish!
Seriously...the shells come out looking great and feel like they've been waxed.
The rice really moves fast in the tumbler....faster than walnut media.
It was to the point I wouldn't dump my walnut media in the basement....I would take to the garage by the air compressor....where I would blow the dust off the tumbler cover...blow the dust out of the bowl...off the sifter...etc. This stuff is just plain better for me.

I like it buddy. Read your post on Marlin Owners. Thinking I am going to try it.

kraky":37zebxiz said:
It was to the point I wouldn't dump my walnut media in the basement....I would take to the garage by the air compressor....where I would blow the dust off the tumbler cover...blow the dust out of the bowl...off the sifter...etc. This stuff is just plain better for me.

Replacement was due, but the dust is easy to get rid of just by throwing a used dryer fabric softener sheet in the bowl and letting it work when you are tumbling something. In a pinch, I've used blue shop paper towels.

BK":3lz6fc65 said:
kraky":3lz6fc65 said:

Replacement was due, but the dust is easy to get rid of just by throwing a used dryer fabric softener sheet in the bowl and letting it work when you are tumbling something. In a pinch, I've used blue shop paper towels.

I use the dryer sheets, but it seems to slow down flow. Not sure if it hurts anything though. I do like all the dirt they collect.

I use the dryer sheet also and occasionally set the tumbler outside with the lid off and let the dust blow away. This makes the media work better. I haven't changed the media out in years and it still looks clean.

russ808":1nwumbbb said:
Hey if your going to use rice, think about brown rice. Might work better.
Russ

If you're planning on tossing the media away every few months, that's probably fine. But brown rice, with the germ attached, goes bad far more quickly than white rice. It could actually get a bit funky if it gets humid/stale.

Awesome Guys....great advice !

I have just changed my "corn", but next time I a definitely going to give it a shot.

:wink:

OK, scratch the brown rice. Just a thought. For meI would not use rice, but thats just my upbringing. Bad juju
Russ

All right, you shoulda' told me that I wasn't supposed to cook it first! :shock: I may never get the goo off my brass.

Mike,
Leave the goo on. Brass may not tarnish as fast. And you can snack on it in the field. :)
Russ

russ808":2frmj1yq said:
Mike,
Leave the goo on. Brass may not tarnish as fast. And you can snack on it in the field. :)
Russ

Snacks are always good in the field.. Hard to fill that void sometimes! :lol:

Back