Which 6mm?

Woodycreek

Handloader
Aug 2, 2007
Thinking about rebarreling the 243 AI in the near future but, don't if I will stick with the 243 AI or try something different. Would like to get away from the feeding issues with the 40° shoulder and the pain of fire forming. I plan on adding DBM bottom metal also which may help with feeding if I stick with an AI case? Already ordered a Bartlein SS 5R 6mm 1-7.5" twist barrel just to make sure Scotty, Joel, or a few others couldn't talk me into something in 6.5 or 7mm :lol: What would you guys pick for a 6mm build?

My current list of possibilities
6XC
6 SLR
243 Imp 30°
Another 243 AI???
6mm Creedmoor

I have a .243AI and have never had feeding issues (Rem. 700). Fireforming is not a problem (I use corn meal, Unique, and toilet paper) but turning necks is a PITA. :lol:

Have you considered changing the magazine spring in your rifle?
Sometimes the spring is too weak to push the follower into the proper position for smooth feeding. Switching to a DBM would not necessarily correct your feeding problems, but it might limit your COAL.

As for moving to a different cartridge, I'd pick the 6mm Remington. The .243AI approximates the 6mm Remington's ballistics.

George

...this actually kinda surprised me...

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/1 ... -pros-use/

...the 6X47 Laupua wouldn't require any additional work on the brass, the 6mm Creedmoor is just necking down (& probably trimming). Neither are "hot" cartridges, but apparently they hold their own, & I'm finding the "popgun 6.5 Creedmoor" is a lot of fun to shoot along side the magnumbs...

GeorgeS":1wprt33r said:
I have a .243AI and have never had feeding issues (Rem. 700). Fireforming is not a problem (I use corn meal, Unique, and toilet paper) but turning necks is a PITA. :lol:

I do the same with my 243 AIs

Have you considered changing the magazine spring in your rifle?
Sometimes the spring is too weak to push the follower into the proper position for smooth feeding. Switching to a DBM would not necessarily correct your feeding problems, but it might limit your COAL.

Need to try a new spring since it could be a cheap fix. I ran a few 243 AI rounds through my Accuracy International DBM on the 6x47 Lapua and it fed great

As for moving to a different cartridge, I'd pick the 6mm Remington. The .243AI approximates the 6mm Remington's ballistics.

The 6mm Rem Imp 30 degree would be a cool one

George

wildgene":2i20fcn0 said:
...this actually kinda surprised me...

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/1 ... -pros-use/

...the 6X47 Laupua wouldn't require any additional work on the brass, the 6mm Creedmoor is just necking down (& probably trimming). Neither are "hot" cartridges, but apparently they hold their own, & I'm finding the "popgun 6.5 Creedmoor" is a lot of fun to shoot along side the magnumbs...

That was some interesting info for sure. I got the 6x47 Lapua and its one heck of a shooter. Just not much on getting another because of over a dollar per piece of brass. That 6mm Creedmoor has my attention.

6mm Remington or 6mm-06!! :grin: Very simple to make 6mm-06 brass out of 25-06 brass. Just a wee bit more than the 6mm Remington, but not much.

Well you could get a 6-284 "hot rod" if not go 244 Remington. With the 6-284 all you have to do is neck them down.

I would be happy with another 6mm Rem but they are hard to find. I need a medium varmint rifle and they are the best cartridge for that task in my mind.

nvbroncrider":2pxssnqo said:
Well you could get a 6-284 "hot rod" if not go 244 Remington. With the 6-284 all you have to do is neck them down.

++++1

Love my 6x284!

Scott

Man, really, another .243! Guys, you are just feeding into this guys disease :twisted:

With a 1-7.5 you could really fling the 115's that are coming around for the .243's too..

I guess if I were to build off a short action, I'd skip the 6mm Rem and 6-06 and probably just stick with the 243 or Ackley if you wanted to go that direction again. I imagine your going to run the 26" barrel again so you'll get alot of efficiency with a plain old 243 Winchester and FPS will come easily too.

You can save all the Ackley brass for the shorty and let Matthew shoot something with them in "his rifle". :lol:

I know! I know! Got a bad problem with 6mms :mrgreen: Guess I should give you guys the specs of the rifle also. It's was an Rem 700 SPS-V 243 that I had punched out to 243 AI, B&C Tactical stock, Kiplinger trigger, and Leupold VX-III 6.5-20. The 105 AMax is the bullet I use in it currently and looking at the Berger 105 Hybrid since the Amaxs are still on hold for production.

The new barrel should finish at 27" and give more than enough speed for whichever one I pick.

Woodycreek":4lqg53on said:
I know! I know! Got a bad problem with 6mms :mrgreen:

Brian oh you are soooo wrong!! :oops: :grin: A 6mm problem is not a bad problem, but a good problem. You can never have too many 6mm's. You just need to come over to the rights side and get you a 6mm Remington. It really needs a 3.0 box though for seating.

I was talking to a fellow the other day and he was talking about how all the long range guys (1000 yards) are going to the 6mm's in droves and they are setting and breaking new records at 1000 yards all the time!!

I have always shot a 6mm Rem. Remington made it right just a little more then a .243 Win. & what ever it can do a 6mm can do a little better is how I have always felt.

Back