Whelen Weigh-In

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
After I shot my No. 1A 35 Whelen with iron sights and found the recoil so tolerable, I decided to try to keep it as light as possible when scoped. My calculations showed it would weigh it around 7 lbs 12.5 oz. wearing a VX3. I actually weighed it today and it was pretty close.

DSC09859.JPG

That includes a round of ammo. Empty it weighs 7 lbs. 12.1 oz. Its going to be a great rifle to carry.

Here's where I'm at in load development:

DSC09853.JPG

I'm going to stoke it a little bit more just to see if accuracy improves at all. If it doesn't or if I start to see any pressure signs, I'll still be happy with where I'm at.

Very nice!

Give RL 15 a try with the 250 gr bullet. Work up to 59.5 grs. This load shoots lights out in my M700 Classic and the MV is 2580 fps from a 22" barrel.

JD338

Very nice gun :) thats a really good weight for a hunting rifle not too light or heavy. Your load is good as is, you probably only need a bit of tweaking to tighten it up. Don't forget the 225 gr bullets they do almost everything the 250's can do.

Very pretty, very nice lines. Mine has 1.4 X 5. Whats your AOL have you checked to see how long your chamber is? My Whelen likes them seated long.

You Guys are killing me :cry: all these posts on the 35 Whelen & all I can say is some day soon I hope :)

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys.

JD, I'm going to try to stick with Varget (I buy that, IMR 4350, and RL-22 in bulk). I do have some RL-15 left over from some experimenting I did in my .308. I may give it a whirl at some point.

Gerry, I think I'll try some 225s when the Accubonds show up on SPS.

Bill, the chamber is long in this rifle. I have the bullets seated one caliber into the case and there is plenty of jump. After I get a charge weight settled on, I'll mess with the seating depth.

Looks very nice Trevor, plus it is shooting really well for you. I have alot of chamber on my M700 CDL as well. I think I am at 3.450" or so with my 225 AB loads. Seems to work though.

Back