What's the deal with 160gr AB?

gahunter12

Beginner
Apr 7, 2014
As my title says, what's the deal with the 284" 160gr Accubonds? I have been searching for them since Feb/March. I am just about out of PT's, and would really like to work up a load for my 7mm RM. I am completely sold on the 180gr AB for my .300WM.

First, welcome to the forum. You may not always get the answer you are seeking, but you will find some good data. Several reasons may account for the dearth of a particular bullet. Ultimately, it is likely an issue of supply-and-demand. Other bullets are in greater demand, compelling the company to focus on that particular demand. Also, it is possible that your local suppliers are not ordering that particular bullet in higher quantities, or when they do show up, they are snapped up. Have you tried some of the mail-order stores, asking that you be placed on a notification list? Some appear to have had considerable success taking this particular action.

First....Thanks for the welcome! I have been hanging out, and reading for a year now! I have about 12yrs of reloading 6 handgun calibers, and .223 under my belt. I started loading for my .300wm, and 7mm RM three years ago.

I have been following Gunbot.net, watching SPS, Grafs, PV, Midsouth, and others. I usually buy all my bullets, tools, and brass (when I buy new) off the web. We have some really great stores for powder/primers near me. I can find the 140gr AB, and 160 PT, but that's it. Thanks!

Perhaps someone with more immediate knowledge of production will chime in shortly and give you an answer. You might also check SPS to see if they are offering any seconds. When production is ramped up, seconds and/or overruns will show up there many times. However, at the moment I note that they are listing the 160 grain AB as "out of stock," indicating that whatever showed up was snapped up pretty quickly.

Consequently, the 300 WM and the 7 RM are great cartridges; I need to shoot my 7 RM more than I do (so many cartridges; so little time).

All of the bullet makers, particularly Nosler, have been in back order on many of their SKU's since the last election two years ago. Now it is becoming apparent that hoarding may be part of the problem. Also, individuals who buy all of the dealer's stock when they find something and resell for a large profit on websites such as Gunbroker. Greed has no bounds for some individuals. Welcome to the site.

http://www.adventureoutdoors.us/

GaHunter, You could check with this store as they are a large dealer and just might get some 7mm Noslers now and then. The website is not much help anymore with the high demand as they don't keep it updated, but you could give them a call. They are in Smyrna.
I called them a few years ago as I was looking for a specific SKB O/U, even though SKB closed down you can sometimes find them used in gun stores. I got a nice young lady on the phone, explained to her that I was several hours away but would drive up there if they had the gun. In the end she admitted she didn't really know what was in the store and had no way of finding out and I'd have to drive to the store.
I would try calling anyway you might have better luck than me.

I asked the good folks at Nosler the same question about "where the heck are all of the 7mm a60 AB's"? They're reply was that they have been out of production for a few months and are playing catch up. I believe they said production will start up again in August. Production of the 140's ramped up first of July, which is why we're seeing those around now. My 7-08 loves the 140's, so finding them was a welcome sight for sure. I'm guessing/hoping we'll start to see the 160's within a month.

gahunter, if it gets closer to hunting season and you still can't find the 160's, shoot me a PM.

Jgraider":2pai8c6d said:
I asked the good folks at Nosler the same question about "where the heck are all of the 7mm a60 AB's"? They're reply was that they have been out of production for a few months and are playing catch up. I believe they said production will start up again in August. Production of the 140's ramped up first of July, which is why we're seeing those around now. My 7-08 loves the 140's, so finding them was a welcome sight for sure. I'm guessing/hoping we'll start to see the 160's within a month.

gahunter, if it gets closer to hunting season and you still can't find the 160's, shoot me a PM.

Thanks! I should be ok. I have plenty 180grAB loaded for my 300wm. I was planning on trying the AB's in my 7mm, but due to the lack of bullets, I may have to wait. If I locate some, I will work on my load, and try them next year.

Darkhorse":13u2sclg said:
http://www.adventureoutdoors.us/

GaHunter, You could check with this store as they are a large dealer and just might get some 7mm Noslers now and then. The website is not much help anymore with the high demand as they don't keep it updated, but you could give them a call. They are in Smyrna.
I called them a few years ago as I was looking for a specific SKB O/U, even though SKB closed down you can sometimes find them used in gun stores. I got a nice young lady on the phone, explained to her that I was several hours away but would drive up there if they had the gun. In the end she admitted she didn't really know what was in the store and had no way of finding out and I'd have to drive to the store.
I would try calling anyway you might have better luck than me.
Thanks Darkhorse. I haven't been to Adventures in 5yrs. It's a haul for me since I live near Athens. I do need to visit Glock soon for my yearly free check up on my G22. Might have to stop in Adventures while I'm in the area!

Lots and lots of 7mm 160 gr Accubonds on the shelves around here. I want to say the local store has them for $38 a box.

Really! :shock: Thats something else! I may run to Bass Pro today. I know when I was looking for new brass, and 180gf AB's for my 300wm everyone was out, but Bass Pro had 2 bags of brass, and 5-6 boxes of 180gr AB on the shelf.

You know it's funny how different parts of the country has certain things in stock, while others can't even find it.

One thing I've learned this year is to do all my new load testing at least a year in advance of the hunt. When bullets hit the shelves starting in Sept. or Oct. that doesn't leave much time to work out the kinks.
Not the way I do it anyway, I like to shoot and might be into the second box before I decide on a load to go with, and that takes a lot of time.

My .300 WM is a LH Browning W/BOSS, I was working on both a 165 gr. for deer and later a 180 for Elk. I was well into my second year and lot's of bullets before I finally found the combo but those were with Hornady bullets. Now that I've mostly switched to Nosler it may have to be done all over. Maybe not. I won't know until I start shooting it again as this year I'm working on my 7mm.
From what I've learned about the BOSS it should go a lot quicker next time around.

Looks like your set , just for further reference my buddy shoots 140 s Ab out of his Ruger # 1 in 7 mmRM. It works quite well , at 3240fps . In fact he punched thru both shoulders of a big cow moose about 3 years ago. I was quite impressed .

super-7":a7q2nyo8 said:
Just for further reference my buddy shoots 140 s Ab out of his Ruger # 1 in 7 mmRM. It works quite well , at 3240fps . In fact he punched thru both shoulders of a big cow moose about 3 years ago. I was quite impressed .

Thanks! I will keep this in mind. I haven't tried the 140's, and didn't know how well they would stay together at 7mm RM velocities. I may try some out after season is over.

Back