What would you do?

Yep, if you need it and it's available at a better than I can wait at that price, then get it.

Like already stated I have no problem with 1 lb cannisters of powder.
In the 30-06 range of cartridges a lb will get you anywhere from 120 to 145 rounds depending on the powder and corresponding charge weight. So if you can pick up two 1 lb cannisters that buys you a good bit of shooting.

I do that. Makes it a single lot, and you only have to work up the load once.
Just curious. Do you guys really see that much difference between lot numbers? Admittedly I'm not checking maintaining 1/2" MOA at 400 yds. If I have a rifle/load combo that shoots 3/4" at 100, I haven't seen much if any difference when opening up a new can of a different lot. This is with primarily IMR powder so I can't speak to any of the other brands.

Truthfully I don’t see much difference from lot to lot, and probably not a good enough shooter to see the difference. The manufacturers have a pretty good handle on things and for the most part consistent from lot to lot. I guess it just makes me feel better knowing there won’t be any difference. I started doing it with Alliant powders because they can have some difference in lots. My Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders has had no difference that I’ve seen. I also don’t load so hot that small differences in lots would be dangerous. Now that you’ve made me think about it, maybe it’s wasted effort, with the exception of Alliant RL powders.

Truthfully I don’t see much difference from lot to lot, and probably not a good enough shooter to see the difference. The manufacturers have a pretty good handle on things and for the most part consistent from lot to lot. I guess it just makes me feel better knowing there won’t be any difference. I started doing it with Alliant powders because they can have some difference in lots. My Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders has had no difference that I’ve seen. I also don’t load so hot that small differences in lots would be dangerous. Now that you’ve made me think about it, maybe it’s wasted effort, with the exception of Alliant RL powders.

Oh I don't know. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anything that eliminates variables. If you have a system that keeps your confidence up and your system yields consistency, I don't know that I would change it. I was just speaking for myself, don't listen to me! :D

Just curious. Do you guys really see that much difference between lot numbers? Admittedly I'm not checking maintaining 1/2" MOA at 400 yds. If I have a rifle/load combo that shoots 3/4" at 100, I haven't seen much if any difference when opening up a new can of a different lot. This is with primarily IMR powder so I can't speak to any of the other brands.
Yes, over the years some propellants did give significantly different burn rates lot-to-lot. For this reason, I am prone to mix differing lots to ensure that I can work with the propellant throughout the entire mix.

yes , I have seen a big difference between lots of powder . I'm a lot mixer . I have mixed a few one pounders , along with a partial 8 pounder to get things evened out .

edit to add ;

right now , I buy as I need to . I don't buy more than I need . I don't want to run out , but at todays prices I'm not filling the shelves .

Only time I saw lot numbers make a difference was at a 300 yd bench match. Man, and his wife were using the same rifle a 22-250 and his groups started opening up after they ran out of the loads with the older powder. He had just opened a new can and used the same data when loading some more shells to have enough for the match. No over pressure problem just didn't group as tight. I told him she was just a better shot :D but the difference was noticeable. Dan.

Back