What would be your choice???

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I'm enquiring about a possible trade for a Marlin 1895 in .45-70.
I have a Winchester Model 70 CRPF in .300 WSM.
What do you guys think?
Should I keep the .300 WSM, or go for the big bore Marlin?

HAWKEYESATX":105fpdlq said:
I'm enquiring about a possible trade for a Marlin 1895 in .45-70.
I have a Winchester Model 70 CRPF in .300 WSM.
What do you guys think?
Should I keep the .300 WSM, or go for the big bore Marlin?

Entirely depends on what else you have in the arsenal...

For a general purpose hunting rifle I really like the .300WSM.

Nothing wrong with a 45-70, but outside of a few geographical locales it doesn't make sense as a primary hunting rifle. If you're also sitting on an '06 and a .338WM or a .300WM... then it might make a decent trade.

I have a Ruger American Rifle in .308, and a Savage 99C in .308, then a Mossberg MMR in 5.56 NATO.
But I'm in South Central Texas, where there could be some long shots.
I'm just a Lever Action junkie at heart.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

HAWKEYESATX":26gdy716 said:

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Bryce... if you're down in that open Texas country, that 45-70 makes zero sense over a flat shooting .300 WSM. If you were living in some dense timber coated spot, them maybe- Texas? No way.

Just my $0.02.

hodgeman":3vuaa4xy said:
HAWKEYESATX":3vuaa4xy said:

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Bryce... if you're down in that open Texas country, that 45-70 makes zero sense over a flat shooting .300 WSM. If you were living in some dense timber coated spot, them maybe- Texas? No way.

Just my $0.02.

Thank you for your honesty. You're expertise is well acknowledged.
I was kinda thinking the same thing.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Let your lever-action needs be covered by your Savage 99. It's a terrific rifle!

The .300 WSM is far and away better than the .45/70 if longish shots on game are likely.

I've had both. Kept the .300 WSM... Even though I don't use it much.

Now a good .30-30 for "brush work" ? Ya... I'd want to add one of those... :)

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":8vcql3qm said:
Let your lever-action needs be covered by your Savage 99. It's a terrific rifle!

The .300 WSM is far and away better than the .45/70 if longish shots on game are likely.

I've had both. Kept the .300 WSM... Even though I don't use it much.

Now a good .30-30 for "brush work" ? Ya... I'd want to add one of those... :)

Regards, Guy

Thank you Guy!
I was wondering when I would hear from you and your wisdom.
I just might need to scratch that lever action itch with a Marlin 336 in .30-30.
I will certainly be using my Savage 99 to fill my lever action needs.
The deer down in this part of the U.S. are smaller, and not a lot to them. I was thinking my .300 WSM was a little too much gun, but you guys have talked me into keeping it.
I just get all bug eyed, and sweaty when I see a nice Marlin 1895.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

If you're going to consider a 336, then I'll put in a plug for the .35 Rem ! Very under appreciated round. Makes a much nicer hole in a black bear than a 30/30 as well.

Gunner46":1lowi6hz said:
If you're going to consider a 336, then I'll put in a plug for the .35 Rem ! Very under appreciated round. Makes a much nicer hole in a black bear than a 30/30 as well.

You know what......I was possibly thinking a 336 in .35 Remington. Another round that is a great whopper of game.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

HAWKEYESATX":a7xjsdgi said:
Gunner46":a7xjsdgi said:

You know what......I was possibly thinking a 336 in .35 Remington. Another round that is a great whopper of game.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

If you are going down the .35Rem route get yourself a Remington M14 pumpaction in .35Rem...
Pump it up!.

Are our esteemed forum members actually trying to use logic for a rifle purchase??? This is truly remarkable , lol. True enablers should be encouraging you to keep the WSM but also buying the 45-70 .... Haha.
I ve got a buddy both he and his father have 45-70's , but both ussually reach for a 7mm when we go hunting.
My one brother in law traded one of his 257 Bee's for a marlin in S&W 500, talk about opposite ends of the spectrum .. Lol
Luckily for you there is no wrong answer no matter what you decide.

Rigbymauser":a6s32yr6 said:
HAWKEYESATX":a6s32yr6 said:
Gunner46":a6s32yr6 said:

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

If you are going down the .35Rem route get yourself a Remington M14 pumpaction in .35Rem...
Pump it up!.

I do like pumps, but my heart has always sought after lever action rifles.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

super-7":1qhzbzwb said:
Are our esteemed forum members actually trying to use logic for a rifle purchase??? This is truly remarkable , lol. True enablers should be encouraging you to keep the WSM but also buying the 45-70 .... Haha.
I ve got a buddy both he and his father have 45-70's , but both ussually reach for a 7mm when we go hunting.
My one brother in law traded one of his 257 Bee's for a marlin in S&W 500, talk about opposite ends of the spectrum .. Lol
Luckily for you there is no wrong answer no matter what you decide.

LMAO
If I don't purchase the Marlin 1895, I do know where there is a Marlin 444 for sale, and that will satisfy my big bore lever craving I have at the moment.
This Marlin 444 is actually a JM stamped one. I've been sorta interested in a 444 as well.
The problem is, I need to sell a house before thinking about buying anything at the moment. SIGH! Such is life.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

While I think a 92 or 94 are a better looking rifle then Marlins, I remain convinced a rifle collection is incomplete without a marlin 95. Logic has no bearing on the discussion.
If I lost all my rifles I would immediately buy two; a 300 WSM and a 45/70. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":28dsnfs3 said:
While I think a 92 or 94 are a better looking rifle then Marlins, I remain convinced a rifle collection is incomplete without a marlin 95. Logic has no bearing on the discussion.
If I lost all my rifles I would immediately buy two; a 300 WSM and a 45/70. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting point!
I couldn't agree more.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Have you considered a Browning BLR? I realize it's not a "traditionally" styled lever gun but it's available in a huge variety of calibers and you should be able to find one that strikes your fancy. You could have a lever gun in a WSM if you wanted.

I bought one in 358 Winchester (after Dr Mike and Scotty twisted my arm) and it is a very accurate rifle.

Ron

rjm158":ndo5sqpp said:
Have you considered a Browning BLR? I realize it's not a "traditionally" styled lever gun but it's available in a huge variety of calibers and you should be able to find one that strikes your fancy. You could have a lever gun in a WSM if you wanted.

I bought one in 358 Winchester (after Dr Mike and Scotty twisted my arm) and it is a very accurate rifle.

Ron

That's a really good idea as well.
They are a little pricey, though, but I'm sure well worth it.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Bryce - I used a .45/70 Marlin for about nine years. For whatever reason, when carrying it, I rarely saw game. Eventually took a doe mule deer, at about 75 yards with a handloaded 405 gr soft point. It was quite effective.

I really liked the rifle, but eventually a friend wanted it more, and was willing to pay... :) So he got a real nice Marlin. (y)

Actually had two different .45/70's in that time, one an 18.5" ported Guide Gun, the other a 22" standard 1895. Enjoyed the standard version more. Either can be an excellent gun - if you just want one of those things, go for it! They're an awful lot of fun...

Guy

Guy Miner":26bnw2if said:
Bryce - I used a .45/70 Marlin for about nine years. For whatever reason, when carrying it, I rarely saw game. Eventually took a doe mule deer, at about 75 yards with a handloaded 405 gr soft point. It was quite effective.

I really liked the rifle, but eventually a friend wanted it more, and was willing to pay... :) So he got a real nice Marlin. (y)

Actually had two different .45/70's in that time, one an 18.5" ported Guide Gun, the other a 22" standard 1895. Enjoyed the standard version more. Either can be an excellent gun - if you just want one of those things, go for it! They're an awful lot of fun...

Guy

I was hoping it would be tons of fun. LOL
I like the 22" barrel version a lot better, for some reason.
Yes, the .45-70 is archaic, and has a rainbow trajectory, but, it shoots a big bullet, and leaves a big hole.
Just hearing the "chunk!" "chunk!" Of the action, and knowing the 1895 was a design that started back in the 1890's is amazing to me. And it's still around today! Sweet!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Back